Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jaredshaunsmith
    • Apr 2024

Originally posted by Motorradfahrer
    Looks like you found a good bike. I've been hunting for an Ironhead deal like yours for a while; I'm jealous. Keep us updated on the progress.
    Thanks. will do!

Originally posted by Dragstews
    No... It was round...

Do think that D&D made some to special order back in the day...
    right on. wish i knew some history on the bike / frame. the guy i bought it from said it used to belong to a hell's angels member in arizona but he didn't remember his name... so that doesn't help much.

Comment

• Dragstews
      • Sep 2010

If you slip a few bucks under the table to a clerk down at the DMV, they can run the numbers back to H-D when it sold new...

I might remind you of what curiosity did to the Cat...!!!!
      Last edited by Dragstews; 11-21-2014, 3:06 PM.
      Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• jaredshaunsmith
        • Apr 2024

I might remind you of what curiosity did to the Cat...!!!!
        haha. for sure. I'm planning to just stick with my, "used to be owned by the biggest meanest hells angel ever" fishing story and leave the rest of the rocks unturned

Comment

• vonhatch
          • Sep 2011

Not trying to hijack your thread, but there arent many 60xlch sportsters left.....here is mine. I suggest starting to look for a stock frame, just in case you decide to restore it someday. Great score!!!!! Hang onto it!!!

imageupload

Comment

• vonhatch
            • Sep 2011

One more thing....HD has NO records of our bikes....I called and got nothing, just a "sorry, no records exist"

Comment

• Dragstews
              • Sep 2010

By no means am I telling you what to run....

But dang-it Son... That flat rear fender is butt ugly....

You would be in for a little work in making the Sissy bar work with this, do think it would be the best 80 bucks you would spend to add a much better look to your hardtail....

VT No: 50-0151
              Bobbed rear fender for rigid models has a raw finish with a right side cutout. Fender is 6-3/4" wide.
              Fender measures 7-1/4" wide and 5-1/5" deep and does not include bracket. We suggest pre fitting the fender prior to painting.
              Fits:
              Custom application
              Last edited by Dragstews; 11-21-2014, 5:27 PM.

Comment

• jaredshaunsmith
                • Apr 2024

By no means am I telling you what to run....

But dang-it Son... That flat rear fender is butt ugly....
                haha. thanks for the tip. I actually do really like the square fender though. plus I'm running a Avon safety mileage on the rear and I think the square profile will match up nicely with the shape of that tire.

Comment

• jaredshaunsmith
                  • Apr 2024

Originally posted by vonhatch
                  Not trying to hijack your thread, but there arent many 60xlch sportsters left.....here is mine. I suggest starting to look for a stock frame, just in case you decide to restore it someday. Great score!!!!! Hang onto it!!!
                  good idea. I may keep an eye out for a stock frame for the future. your bike looks great

Comment

• Dragstews
                    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by jaredshaunsmith

I actually do really like the square fender.
                    Right-On...

The only person you have to please..... Is yourself...

If ya get nuts with your build...

Might end up with a bike that you will hate to ride in fear of getting it dirty ..... Hate dat when that happens... !!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Michelles68xlch076.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	1277476

Click image for larger version

Name:	th_Michelles68xlch038.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	1277477

.................................................. ......

Vonhatch....

Talking with Paul Osbone a few weeks ago...
                    Asked him if he had any Hi-Pipe's that came OEM on the early CH's..

He said that he thought he did and would take a look for one in his junk pile...

Also said that riders that bought a new CH back in the day would take them off in favor of running the dual pipes...

If ya had the Hots for that pipe...
                    Give T&O a call .... 316-682-4781
                    Last edited by Dragstews; 11-22-2014, 10:55 AM.

Comment

• vonhatch
                      • Sep 2011

I lived down the street from T&O in the seventies.....2 years there in the usaf.....good times, and actually made it to the final round drag racing against them....I broke out damnit!!! Thanks for the tip!

Comment

• jaredshaunsmith
                        • Apr 2024

Small steps today, was busy with family time for a bit of the day but i managed to soda blast and degrease my sprocket cover and clutch worm gear. it was the first time I've soda blasted, and I snagged the $20 spot blasting gun from harbor freight - it worked for about 2 minutes before clogging to the point where i couldn't unclog it. i switched over to the air wand + tube method and it worked better than the HF gun (go figure).

my beard looked like i jumped in a cocaine swimming pool when i was done

before:

after:
                        Last edited by Guest; 11-23-2014, 9:33 PM. Reason: image urls were broken

Comment

• Dragstews
                          • Sep 2010

after:
                          Kinda got a wonder going on seeing those chain cutting marks inside the cover...

If you push in on the sprocket and then pull out on it.... About how much movement are you seeing...???

Comment

• jaredshaunsmith
                            • Apr 2024

If you push in on the sprocket and then pull out on it.... About how much movement are you seeing...???
                            almost no movement at all actually - just checked after i read your message.

i didn't notice any scrubbing at all when the bike was together and i rolled it around. wonder if these cuts are from an old setup or something...?

Comment

• Dragstews
                              • Sep 2010

Almost no movement at all actually.

Wonder if these cuts are from an old setup or something...?
                              Most likely from old war wounds.....

Could take it as some of the previous owners did service to it when needed...
                              .....Damn good sign that it was cared for...!!!

The 4-speed Sportie trans seems to have a high wear factor to it.
                              That's mostly because when they get mega miles on them and are in dyer need of servicing, they don't get it ...
                              More miles are laid down in a poor working condition leading to more problems and perhaps major damage....

They are not an easy task to set up all the parts back to good specks....

Your transmission sprocket looks to be a super small tooth count... That's will be great for stoplight to stoplight riding in town, but on the superslab will have it taching high rev's tiring to keep up with traffic...

21 T was OEM ..

.................................................. ......................................

Here's an item that you should give some thought about purchasing....

Made by a Fellow that goes by the name of Chevelle....

Replaces the OEM stock weak unit that will leave your ass on the side of the road at 2 o-clock in the morning.....
                              His worm gear allows for running the stronger clutch spring rates with confidences...
                              Last edited by Dragstews; 11-23-2014, 10:01 AM.

Comment

• jaredshaunsmith
                                • Apr 2024

Today I Stripped down top end, and cleaned my garage - guess which one took longer?

Organized parts ready for some cleaning:

Front cylinder:

Top end off - you can see the pretty rough scoring on the pistons:

Top of front piston - planning to oversize to 040 when i rebuild:

and... unrelated - I finished up building and installing this scissor arm lamp for Brucius (http://instagram.com/_brucius_) at black and blue tattoo in SF today - :
                                Last edited by Guest; 11-23-2014, 10:22 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;