Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nooneactually
    • Aug 2013

'82 Sporty. Bit off more than I know how to chew

I just got my first harley. Well. Sort of. I am the semi-proud owner of a rolling chasis and an old cooler full of what at some point was a motor. this is my first pretty much ground up project and I bit off a lot. The engine is completely broken down. So my questions currently are: Why can't I find a year specific service manual of any kind? And anyone have tips on where to start with this engine?? Please help. Haha
  • xllance
    • Apr 2024

The manuals will cover a several year span. There's a 1979-1985 OEM on EBay right now for less than $30.00 Spiral wound too, I'd jump on that.

Comment

• nooneactually
      • Aug 2013

UPDATE: After more research on the vin numbers, it turns out i have a 72 XLCH motor and an 81 XL frame. hopefully this won't cause a problem. :bang head:

Comment

• Dragstews
        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by nooneactually
        UPDATE: After more research on the vin numbers, it turns out i have a 72 XLCH motor and an 81 XL frame. hopefully this won't cause a problem. :bang head:
        The 72 year model had the foot pegs made on the frame...and a right side shift
        In 77 Harley did away with peg mounts on the frame...

Also the rear brake on the 81 model was juice... These will need to be addressed with what combo of parts you have..
        Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• vonhatch
          • Sep 2011

Not to forget the vin issue

Comment

• Sky
            • Aug 2009

All good. Go for an OEM Manual. the clymer and hanes ones are somewhat lacking.
            Do you have a title that matches either the motor or the frame?
            Flywheel assembly requires some specialty tools. You'll probably want to farm out the lower end to an independent shop. If you do make sure they are familiar with IHs.

Comment

• Nephew
              • Feb 2014

I'll look to see If I got anything in my servi-book collection. Im 30mins from you anyway.

Comment

• image1
                • Aug 2009

72 motor> some 1 year only parts there (heads and such) could be tough to find if yours are bad

Comment

• Dragstews
                  • Sep 2010

Originally posted by image1
                  72 motor> some 1 year only parts there (heads and such) could be tough to find if yours are bad
                  72 and early 73 are a Bastard year on the heads and jugs.... Can only do a .030 overbore on them...(Headbolt pattern was made to close to the bore.)

Harley moved the bolt holes further out on the L-73 and up models... If need be, the Late Heads and Jugs is a Plug & Play deal on the early 1000cc cases...

Comment

• TwoLaneFever
                    • Apr 2024

drag stews has the trick, add a later model top end, solved the where to find parts problem,heres the looks, bolts on head Click image for larger version

Name:	89874.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	1277417 sides is a give away about franken bike parts.majority of the other year parts will interchange fine, just watch the shifter change year 1975 for shift /brake linkages /rods.also primary covers will differ ,as will cam cover
                    Last edited by Guest; 11-19-2014, 9:33 AM.

Comment

• nooneactually
                      • Aug 2013

So your suggesting going to a 74 top end?

Comment

• Dragstews
                        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by nooneactually
                        So your suggesting going to a 74 top end?

No.....

On the Sporties there are three diff. year groups for the head/jugs of the Ironheads

First is the 900cc's of the 57 to 71 era...
                        Then in 72 the 1000cc motor was introduced.... That year group had the bastard head/jug going on ....
                        In late 73 Harley fixed that problem...

The L-73 to 85 will replace the bastard years of the 72-E73, if you see a need of doing so....

Think I would take a hard look-see at what you have now....
                        They can be worked ... Oversize valves are available to get the stem protrusion back into specks if the seats are sunk from many valve jobs being done in the past... Can do seat replacements also...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0025-8.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	1277430

Name:	IMG_0030-9.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	1277429

I do that work using a 020 Kwik-Way Seat & Guide tooled for doing Harley heads...
                        Many machine shops that are well equipped for Harley work can do this job.

As many of the L73-up top end that are around, you may be able to find a set for less money than it would take to reclaim your stuff....

The late jugs can go as far as .070 on overbores...Or you can sleeve your bastard jugs back to the stock bore of 3.1875

But as said....
                        Take a look at what you have.... Shoot, just may still be at STD bore and never seen a valve job....???
                        Last edited by Dragstews; 11-19-2014, 4:53 PM.

Comment

• Stadger
                          • Jan 2012

Man, cut your losses. You have purchased a bottomless money pit. Save your pennies and buy a runner to build to your taste. The unbuilt ironheads left today are nearly always junk. There are so many things to look for that can't be seen with the naked eye. It is VERY easy to spend ten grand worth of time and money on a bike that MIGHT be worth three when you are done. Don't waste your wife's or kid's money. I only say this from my experience and the fact that I will not live to see another Summer so I have no reason to lie.

Comment

• Ember
                            • May 2010

I second getting a runner to build off of. Then I would build what you have over time if it is something you wish to do.

Comment

• Dragstews
                              • Sep 2010

May want to keep this in mind if indeed you do make the 72 into a runner....

Be easy on it .... No burn outs, power shifting or Hot Dogging it...

Reason being...

That year motor was the very last year of having the speedo drive in the trans case...
                              Wasn't the best of places that Harley could have used, this makes the trans weak, weak weak...

(There are cures for beefing the case, requires some work and welding...)

Name:	K-Model.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	1277432

When that motor first came into light, it was a flathead (K-Model), they was kinda low on the ponys,
                              Over the years Harley made them with the Tim Allen thought in mind... (More Power)
                              The 1000cc motor put out good ponys and after a bunch of new motors blew out the corner of the case, the very next year Harley made the cases with much more beef on the counter shaft bearing support by moving the speedo to the front wheel...

No more was there a drilled hole in the case where as making them Heavy Duty....
                              Most Drag Racer's that still run the Ironheads like using the 73-76 case as the foundation of their motors....
                              Last edited by Dragstews; 11-20-2014, 8:17 AM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;