Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • a40nabowl
    • May 2011

Stuck / Seized lower shock struts!

These damn struts won't budge! I have soaked them in ever fluid that would do the trick . Hammered the fuck out of it on a block and no budge !!! Its my first swing arm build. I was wondering if it is normal for the lower struts to get stuck like this , and how to best remove it ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6022.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	295.4 KB
ID:	1336691
    Last edited by a40nabowl; 11-18-2014, 1:12 AM.
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by a40nabowl
    These damn struts won't budge! I have soaked them in ever fluid that would do the trick . Hammered the fuck out of it on a block and no budge !!! Its my first swing arm build. I was wondering if it is normal for the lower struts to get stuck like this , and how to best remove it ?

Have you tried any heat???

Comment

• farmall
      • Apr 2013

Second the heat. Don't overheat the swingarm.

You can cut off the outer part of the mount with a cutting disc then use a six-point socket, a large breaker bar, and a cheater pipe on the bar to move them better than a box-end wrench.

Comment

• a40nabowl
        • May 2011

Originally posted by Tattooo
        Have you tried any heat???
        No heat, I figured if I head the swingarm, it would also heat the bolt and it would expand them both. I guess I can use a small flame and use a six-point socket like framall recommended as well.

Do these lower struts get stuck like this? Is this common?

Comment

• Pendulum
          • Jul 2011

I'd cut the box end of a wrench, and slide a long pipe over it to get some leverage (using the open end on the "bolt").

Comment

• Grantman
            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Pendulum
            I'd cut the box end of a wrench, and slide a long pipe over it to get some leverage (using the open end on the "bolt").
            Instead of cutting the wrench isn't it easier (and keeps a better grip) to put to box end on the nut you are removing and use the box end of another wrench on the open end of the wrench that's on the nut to get more leverage? I really hate cutting up tools because I was taught by my dad "Buy good tools, you only have to buy them once."

Plus, I've always found open end wrenches like to open and slip on anything that is really tight.

Comment

• bparsel
              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Pendulum
              Haha, this is honestly the weirdest advice???

The box end will grip better due to more edges making contact, and instead of cutting off part of the wrench why wouldnt you just get a piece of pipe with a larger diameter that can slide over the wrench as is?

Comment

• Pendulum
                • Jul 2011

Originally posted by bparsel
                Haha, this is honestly the weirdest advice???

The box end will grip better due to more edges making contact, and instead of cutting off part of the wrench why wouldnt you just get a piece of pipe with a larger diameter that can slide over the wrench as is?
                I personally don't keep pipe w/ that big of an ID around, and I'd rather sacrifice a wrench that I have multiples of than come up w/ a pipe that I'll probably not use again for a long time.

Originally posted by Grantman
                Instead of cutting the wrench isn't it easier (and keeps a better grip) to put to box end on the nut you are removing and use the box end of another wrench on the open end of the wrench that's on the nut to get more leverage? I really hate cutting up tools because I was taught by my dad "Buy good tools, you only have to buy them once."

Plus, I've always found open end wrenches like to open and slip on anything that is really tight.
                Maybe you're confusing a crescent wrench w/ an open-end wrench? The reason I suggested using the open end rather than the box end is because the box end is more likely to round/strip the fastener in my experience on really stubborn stuff. As for cutting up a good wrench, I agree on that one. I try to keep extras for the common sized fasteners, because that way when someone needs to borrow it I don't have to loan out my good stuff (or when I have dumb ideas to cut/weld shit together to get a task done).

Comment

• Sky
                  • Aug 2009

Ah, a six point box end wins over a clapped out twelve point anyday. Probably a cheap wrench too is my guess, if it's worth less than a length of pipe.
                  Just busting your balls,Pendulum. And furthermore a (proper sized) crescent flexes open way less than an open end would
                  Ever hook the box end of a larger wrench to the open end of the wrench in use? instant leverage. I keep an old fork tube around for macho occasions.
                  Why is the OP removing the studs? And using such a short wrench??
                  Applied heat and impacts are your friends

Comment

• a40nabowl
                    • May 2011

Originally posted by Sky
                    Ah, a six point box end wins over a clapped out twelve point anyday. Probably a cheap wrench too is my guess, if it's worth less than a length of pipe.
                    Just busting your balls,Pendulum. And furthermore a (proper sized) crescent flexes open way less than an open end would
                    Ever hook the box end of a larger wrench to the open end of the wrench in use? instant leverage. I keep an old fork tube around for macho occasions.
                    Why is the OP removing the studs? And using such a short wrench??
                    Applied heat and impacts are your friends
                    OP is trying to remove the lower struts to have them machined to take on the DYNA shocks that have a smaller diameter. The DYNA shocks have a metal sleeve that does not allow the older struts to enter. And yes, this is a cheap ass wrench.

Comment

• bayko
                      • Aug 2014

Less arguing about wrenches, more heat!

Comment

• greaseTrap
                        • Oct 2012

i just did the same mod a week ago, except i just swapped out the metal sleeves on the dyna shocks and used the sleeves from my older style shocks.. i tapped them out with a small deep well socket.. keep it simple..

Comment

• jeremystephens
                          • Sep 2011

HEAT!!!
                          I first saw the heat trick many years ago after fighting something that was froze for days. Grey beard came by and I asked for advice...... maybe a min later it broke loose with almost no effort.
                          70% of the time it works every time.

Comment

• a40nabowl
                            • May 2011

Originally posted by greaseTrap
                            i just did the same mod a week ago, except i just swapped out the metal sleeves on the dyna shocks and used the sleeves from my older style shocks.. i tapped them out with a small deep well socket.. keep it simple..
                            I have new sets of bushing for the old school shocks , but they don't have sleeves. Can I run it without sleeves ? So you are saying the sleeve in the DYNA is in there with pressure and no sort of adhesive is holding it against the rubber and can be hammered out?

You got a photo ? I only ask for a photo since the older lower strut is longer then the DYNA chamber, so I wanted to see what you did with the extra space. Thanks
                            Last edited by a40nabowl; 11-20-2014, 2:53 PM.

Comment

• greaseTrap
                              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by a40nabowl
                              I have new sets of bushing for the old school shocks , but they don't have sleeves. Can I run it without sleeves ? So you are saying the sleeve in the DYNA is in there with pressure and no sort of adhesive is holding it against the rubber and can be hammered out?

You got a photo ? I only ask for a photo since the older lower strut is longer then the DYNA chamber, so I wanted to see what you did with the extra space. Thanks

Post a pick of the shocks you want to use. And yes you MUST have the metal spacer in the bushing!!!!
                              The metal sleeve will tap out

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;