Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CDeeZ
    • Oct 2019

Originally posted by JBinNC
    There is supposed to be an oil slinger under the gear on the 2 brush generators. I can't tell from your video if that is in place or not. But that extra washer may be taking up that space if the slinger is missing.

Jim
    I thought the flatheads used the slinger gear??? And the gear without the slinger was for Knucks/Pans?? Someone told me that here in post 6:

Someone years ago had installed the Knuckle/Pan gear on the generator in my UL before I figured that out?

Why do people seem to be messing up the generator gear situation so badly haha

Originally posted by Dragstews

The gear should have a light press fit going on the armature shaft splines ..
    If it's a loose fit the splines will take a whooping and fail ..
    Aftermarket gears are a loose fit, Oem are a nice press fit ...
    I will check the fitment of the gear on the generator before putting it back in.

-----------------

Any input on the Cam in this thing? Seems to make it move out real strong in the top end.
    Last edited by CDeeZ; 03-17-2022, 12:53 PM.

Comment

• JBinNC
      • Dec 2018

That pic shows the oil slinger I'm talking about, the gray piece. It is to keep excess oil out of the generator bearing. It is not a slinger for a crankcase breather (obviously, on a pan the breather is in a different place).

Jim

Comment

• JBinNC
        • Dec 2018

People mess up the generator gear situation because early and late gears both fit the 65A generator, and 13 tooth and 14 tooth gears both fit as well. This is a big problem I have found with the old motors with the generator cradle & strap. People bolt on a late generator and don't bother to get the gear spacing right and end up wearing out the idler gear, or worse. Of course that is not an issue with your pan motor there.

Jim

Comment

• JBinNC
          • Dec 2018

If the bored part of the gear I.D. is loose on the unsplined area of the shaft, you can fill the space with a piece of shim stock. That will help the splines live longer, too.

Jim

Comment

• CDeeZ
            • Oct 2019

Ok the oil deflector to keep oil from the generator I gotcha. Yes that piece is on the genny. Sorry, not trying to be a dick, just making sure to ask lots of questions and wrap my head around it.

Comment

• CDeeZ
              • Oct 2019

No thoughts on the cam? Must not be a big deal. I have never messed with a cammed HD so it's kind of neat to me.

Comment

• JBinNC
                • Dec 2018

Originally posted by CDeeZ
                No thoughts on the cam? Must not be a big deal. I have never messed with a cammed HD so it's kind of neat to me.
                What kind of cam does it have?

Jim

Comment

• CDeeZ
                  • Oct 2019

Andrews "J"

Comment

• JBinNC
                    • Dec 2018

Originally posted by CDeeZ
                    Andrews "J"
                    I consider that cam pretty much a replacement for a stock H cam. Good choice for a pan because a J grind has relatively low lift which suits the pan heads, and it's a good grind for a 74 with stock compression (8.5:1).

Jim

Comment

• CDeeZ
                      • Oct 2019

I'm going to pull some more stuff out of the cam chest later today just to make sure I got everything out.

Having never been in a panhead cam chest, I'm going to use this from 16:50 to about 23:00 to time everything: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSPvM_jErJk

This looks much simpler than the flathead I'm used to, being one camshaft instead of four.

Anything else to look out for?

Comment

• CDeeZ
                        • Oct 2019

Originally posted by Dragstews
                        BTY ...

The baffle that's in the air/oil separation cavity is installed backwards ..
                        Cut out slots goes to the motor case ..

I Just noticed this DS! Thanks for pointing that out. Not sure how I overlooked your statement the first time.

Comment

• CDeeZ
                          • Oct 2019

Well after removing the debris from the cam chest I buttoned it back and and rode it around today. I ripped around a bit and it was running good. All seemed fine.

Just now, after the sun has gone down I tried to go for a ride and barely made it away from the house. Had to turn around and come back as the headlight was getting dim and the LED taillight/brakelight barely lit. Started sputtering as well.

Is it just a coincidence that the generator gear fell off AND the generator crapped out at pretty much the same time? What about the voltage regulator?

Since the generator was out, I tested it with a battery like so:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

The generator did turn when I energized it. However, it did seem as though the generator was turning slower and perhaps more noisy than videos I have seen on the internet of people testing generators this way.

What now??? Time to just buy the Cycle Electric gen with built in regulator???? Looks that way.

Comment

• CDeeZ
                            • Oct 2019

Cycle Electric for the win:

The generator gear fell off the last generator. I got lucky and it didn't tear anything up. After fishing out the debris and carefully reassembling the cam c...

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                            Working...
                            ;