CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default DIY Fiberglass seat pan... here's how I did it.

First time ever using fiberglass, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

Laid down a bed of blue painter's tape

then the aluminum tape over the top

After that I roughly drew out the online I was looking for

Masked the bike real well

Then I waxed it good, and left the wax (didn't buff it off like some sites have suggested)

I decided to use a seat pan that I'd made previously as internal structure, and to give me some method for fastening it to the frame. I cut it to length, then poked holes through the tape and set it in place. I put nuts on the bottom to make sure it stayed flat.

Bought a fiberglass "kit" from Advance Auto, as well as a package of the cloth separately. The kit only comes with mat. I laid the cloth over the seat pan and traced the lines I made... leaving about a half inch of extra material to my line, then I cut about a half inch beyond that. I also took the mat that came in the kit and cut it into roughly 3" squares. I found this to be easy to do by leaving the mat folded the way it came out of the package and cutting it with tin snips. It gave me about a half dozen squares for every section I cut. Not sure if that makes sense, but if you buy the kit it will.
    I covered a piece of plywood with aluminum foil to use for soaking the first piece of cloth. Picked up 3 brushes for 89 cents each at harbor freight and a small roller pan for $1.50
    I didn't take much for pics at this point because I was wearing gloves covered in resin and fibers lol
    Cloth went on first, followed by a few layers of mat, then another layer of cloth.

Gave it a couple hours then popped it off. I was nervous, but it came off fine. I did a rough trim first

Then fitted it to the bike a couple times until I got what I liked.

Fit like a glove. After I took these pics I mixed up another 2 ounces of resin and touched all the edges again, then did a final sand.

decided to prime and paint the bottom so the steel wouldn't rust. Primer looked fine, but for some reason didn't want to play well with the primer. Oh well. Once it cures well I can bead blast it back off. Or not and just felt line it instead. :shrug:

Next is it's trip to the leather guy...

Get Adobe Flash player

Great post and good pictures! Thanks for the article!

Get Adobe Flash player

Looks good, seems to go with the other how to seat pan demos. Only change I would have done was laid down a layer or 2 of glass before putting the metal pan down. That way the metal could not delaminate from the glass down the road. But again thanks for the pics and ideas.

Looks really good and as you say, a nice close fit.

Nick

Can you should how you foamed it and wrapped it

Get Adobe Flash player

fits like a glove

Get Adobe Flash player

good read

I used this a bit on cars, thinking im going to have to make it up for my chopper myself.

Share This