CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Thinking about anodizing some aluminum parts. Anyone tried this?

Anyone tried this? I've owned bikes, paintball guns, and car parts that were anodized but I've never had it done. I don't want to have them colored I want it as close to polished aluminum as possible. I'm rebuilding a triumph motor and want to keep it looking nice.

Get Adobe Flash player

clear anodizing is going to look different than polished aluminum.
    parts that have been clear anodizing will normally end up having
    a dull slightly goldish yellow tinge to them, it is subtle but definitely
    noticeable. I think there may be a silver anodize available now that looks
    pretty good, I have seen it used on some custom offshore fishing reels.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Revelator View Post
    clear anodizing is going to look different than polished aluminum.
    parts that have been clear anodizing will normally end up having
    a dull slightly goldish yellow tinge to them, it is subtle but definitely
    noticeable.
    I think you're describing Alodining. Alodining is the chemical application of a protective chromate conversion coating on aluminum. The chromate gives the yellowish tinge. Anodizing is simply aluminum oxide formed under controlled conditions and has no color of it's own other than that of the aluminum it's formed on. It can, of course, be dyed, but that's a process that occurs post-anodizing.

Bob

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox16 View Post
    I'm rebuilding a triumph motor and want to keep it looking nice.
    Anodizing generally isn't too successful on cast aluminum, particularly old castings that have been subject to contamination. Also, because it's a process of applying a layer of corrosion, it will dull polished aluminum. If you want your Triumph motor to stay clean, look at some form of powder coating instead.

Bob

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks Bob.

Get Adobe Flash player

Your right Bob, at the plating shop we get people asking for coloured anodizing all the time, we don't do it and try to steer people away from doing it, if they insist we prep it, polish out imperfections etc. for them, and let them get the anodizing, most times people aren't happy with the outcome, and yes the cast aluminum comes out crappy every time, the only time it works well, is on new aluminum, I see some good clear coating products on line, made for clear coating polished motorcycle covers etc. for guys restoring bikes and wanting the original type clear, haven't tried any yet but I would like to ,I do polishing on the side at home when I have time, and I'd like to offer clear coating on bike parts, easier upkeep.

Jetblack

Anodizing is really just a layer of oxidation, i suggest checking out paintball gun forums for really good diy tuts on the process. I did a little bit using a tattoo power supply and some rit dye several years ago and lemme just say you want the item as clean as fucking possible for best results, reds can turn pinkish true black can hard as hell to achieve and well if you want to strip it after you fucked it up to try again that is even more difficult than the anodizing process.

Get Adobe Flash player

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox16 View Post
    Anyone tried this? I've owned bikes, paintball guns, and car parts that were anodized but I've never had it done. I don't want to have them colored I want it as close to polished aluminum as possible. I'm rebuilding a triumph motor and want to keep it looking nice.
    Just tried some clear coat product today www.EverbriteCoatings.com on some brass, silver, and copper, that we polished up at the shop, and wow, easy to spray or brush on, they sell it both ways. Has to be clean, it is not suposto yellow, and it levels real nice, even the shine on the silver looks great. Now I want to try some on motorcycle side covers. It's even food safe.

Share This