Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wnrn
    • Apr 2013

In memory of my Dad.

My Dad passed away last Wednesday. For over 12 months he had been fighting cancer. He went in his sleep on Wednesday morning.

He was not a mad keen rider like me. Yet it was him who said I should get a bike when I first needed transport.

He had previously sent me a photo of his bike. I had known for years that he had owned a little Trumpy. I had always thought it was a Tiger Cub. 2 weeks ago he told me it had a 150cc engine. So its a Terrier not a Cub. He took this photo of his bike in January 1955.

Friday last week on ebay my sister found a Terrier for sale. So in memory of our Dad we have bought this bike. I shall get it going and my sister can own it and ride it.

I can remember seeing my dad ride my gsx250 back in the early 80s. He took it up the road and back again. No helmet.

My sister was dad's carer and it is only fitting that she gets to keep this bike.

The engine turns over. It does not fire up as it needs a wiring harness. Why that is not in place I don't know yet. We have bought this unseen. Just from the photos.

I intend to get it up here to my place so I can work on it. I have an old school friend up this way who restores Brit bikes. He will be is enlisted to help with this bike.

I would like that the patina stays. Just make sure the engine runs, changes gears and electrics work.

I know that Dad would have looked at this with fond memories. He rode his to Mt Druitt to the bike races there in the 50s.

When I bought this bike on eBay I cried like a baby. Fuck I miss dad so much.

This bike will not be changed besides that which makes it road legal.
  • Torch
    • Jul 2009

as long as your Dad is in your thoughts.....he's still here.

the bike is cool, enjoy it.

Comment

• AMFshovelheads
      • Dec 2012

My condolences. I'm sure your dad would be proud of you restoring the bike.

Comment

• wnrn
        • Apr 2013

We took delivery of this great looking bike this morning.

I am totally stoked with it. Looks like someone started a restoration on it. There are new rubber boots on the rear plungers. New chrome on the plungers. Repo seat and springs. The engine does turn over. Just needs me to dance skyclad around a burning Honda to get the electrics right. One must always appease the spirit of Lucas and his possessed electrics that came fitted to all Brit bikes.

Last edited by wnrn; 10-28-2014, 2:49 AM.

Comment

• Gedilicious
          • May 2010

I'm sorry for your loss. Please keep us posted on this project.

Comment

• mitchelltannahill
            • Jan 2013

cool bike. even more rad inspiration.

Comment

• mountainryder
              • Mar 2013

That is a cool little bike, I hope you sort it out soon. It sucks loosing your dad, I lost mine 5 years ago. He got me into bikes when I was a young child, my first bikes were fixer-uppers that he helped me get running. Now I have his '39 flat head Harley, but I would much rather have him still around.

Comment

• LoudPipesSaveLives
                • Aug 2012

Nice story. Good luck with the project. Share pics of the progress.

Comment

• wnrn
                  • Apr 2013

On Sunday I had a chance to go and do some work on my Sister's Triumph Terrier.

Started to adjust the brakes. Shows I will have to replace the shoes. 1951s braking distance was so much longer than 2014.

Comment

• Speciman
                    • Nov 2012

Sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my father and then a sister some years back to cancer. Then just last year I lost my twin brother. It still seems surreal to me. We had just made plans to pull our 1st bikes out of storage, rebuild them and start riding again. We were about one third done when he started getting sick. Cancer again. Of course the bikes went on hold and I took care of him until he passed. I wasn't able to pick the project back up until recently when I started following the threads on Chopcult again. It is a bitch but you are doing a wise thing with your project. When you are in morning it tends to give you an idle mind. On the contrary, an idle mind is the worst thing for someone in morning. My project is helping me heal and I am sure yours will too. I love the bike you picked up and it is awesome that you are doing it for your sister. You guys will heal together. I wish you both the best. Hang tough.
                    Last edited by Speciman; 11-13-2014, 9:01 PM.

Comment

• wnrn
                      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Speciman
                      Sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my father and then a sister some years back to cancer. Then just last year I lost my twin brother. It still seems surreal to me. We had just made plans to pull our 1st bikes out of storage, rebuild them and start riding again. We were about one third done when he started getting sick. Cancer again. Of course the bikes went on hold and I took care of him until he passed. I wasn't able to pick the project back up until recently when I started following the threads on Chopcult again. It is a bitch but you are doing a wise thing with your project. When you are in morning it tends to give you an idle mind. On the contrary, an idle mind is the worst thing for someone in morning. My project is helping me heal and I am sure yours will too. I love the bike you picked up and it is awesome that you are doing it for your sister. You guys will heal together. I wish you both the best. Hang tough.
                      Cheers mate. Sorry to hear how cancer has taken its toll on your family. Fuck Cancer.

Comment

• ZenerDiode39
                        • Oct 2014

Sorry for your loss. Roll out on that Triumph It will get you squared away. We all get a turn. You got today!

Comment

• scottyj1
                          • Apr 2013

nice bike,I hope the resto goes good,sorry about your dad,I just passed the 1 year mark of my dad passing from throat cancer.

Comment

• scuzzy
                            • Sep 2013

I know the feeling brother, my pops didnt ride but hes the one that got me i to them. He died 4 years ago from cancer that he had for 2 years. Just remenber the good times man. If you ever just need to talk to a guy that knows how it goes hit me up man.

Comment

• wnrn
                              • Apr 2013

Cheers guys. I am in a way better place about my Dad. Stopped being angry at him for dying. The world is a way better place now to me.

No work done on the Terrier for awhile.
                              My sister has been buying bits and pieces for it. We now have a full manual for it.
                              Mate sent us a brand-new full wiring harness he had.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;