Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bparsel
    • Jul 2011

'71 FLH - School me on a front disc conversion

So, I just picked this up and have plans, but the first is to get this thing stopping better. I ride to and from work in the thick of Detroit rush hour and have a baby I would like to get home to everyday.

Click image for larger version

Name:	71'Shovel.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	312.9 KB
ID:	1336565

Whats the easiest way to do a disc conversion on the front? The rear is fine, Ive already locked that up at about 55mph but I want more than just a hill grabber on the front.

Can I just go with late model forks and convert? As I understand it I cant just change the lowers I have to go with a full fork change. I realize the '73 and ups came with discs but those calipers seem to have some issues.
  • Sky
    • Aug 2009

A quick google search came up with this poignant answer from the V-Twin Forum

"If you want to convert the front, you'll need to replace the lower leg that you want to run the caliper on, as you need the caliper mount that's cast on the lower leg.

Most guys replace the wideglide front with a modern one, and hang the old tins on. It's cheaper in most cases if you score an entire front from someone that replaced theirs with a springer or otherwise. No sense ruining a good vintage front end, IMHO. You'll need a newer wheel for this as well. Just stash the original front end in the corner, if "restoration day" ever resurfaces, you'll have it.

Honestly.....I'd leave the rear alone. Your front is 70+% of your braking capacity anyway. If you hand a modern front end on that bike with the old tins, you'll feel like it's a whole other bike, regarding your braking power.

Of course you'll need a master cylinder, line and year-appropriate caliper for this as well.

Comment

• nuklhd
      • Sep 2013

i know you don't want to hear it but just ride accordingly. ride it like you have a front drum brake. a correctly set up front drum has ample stopping power, not like a disc of course. your existing hub on the 71 wouldnt bolt up to a disc. you have a bunch of stuff to change there.
      i don't like anything past 71 for the brake thing, i just dig the looks of drums. i rode my 64 everyday to work in 95 traffic from woodbridge,va to wash.d.c and just kept an eye out and gave myself room. shit, you have to do that with a disc brake.
      i REALLY dig your shovel the way it looks.

Comment

• bparsel
        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Sky
        A quick google search came up with this poignant answer from the V-Twin Forum

"If you want to convert the front, you'll need to replace the lower leg that you want to run the caliper on, as you need the caliper mount that's cast on the lower leg.

Most guys replace the wideglide front with a modern one, and hang the old tins on. It's cheaper in most cases if you score an entire front from someone that replaced theirs with a springer or otherwise. No sense ruining a good vintage front end, IMHO. You'll need a newer wheel for this as well. Just stash the original front end in the corner, if "restoration day" ever resurfaces, you'll have it.

Honestly.....I'd leave the rear alone. Your front is 70+% of your braking capacity anyway. If you hand a modern front end on that bike with the old tins, you'll feel like it's a whole other bike, regarding your braking power.

Of course you'll need a master cylinder, line and year-appropriate caliper for this as well.

Thanks, but in my reading it appeared that the lowers alone couldnt be changed. I'm debating if the best way is just to pick up late model road king forks etc. Then pick up the master cylinder and brake line etc. I have a single disc spoke 21" sitting in the corner with the correct bearings that I would eventually like to run on this bike. I'm only making small changes so it could go back original if I ever wanted.

Bars, Risers, 21" front, lower the rear, different solo seat, strip the extra shit....and done. I already have the wheel and have ordered the bars, new risers, and the seat.

Bike will be similar to this one when done:

Click image for larger version

Name:	67 flh.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	1276722
        Last edited by bparsel; 10-23-2014, 7:25 AM.

Comment

• bparsel
          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by nuklhd
          i know you don't want to hear it but just ride accordingly. ride it like you have a front drum brake. a correctly set up front drum has ample stopping power, not like a disc of course. your existing hub on the 71 wouldnt bolt up to a disc. you have a bunch of stuff to change there.
          i don't like anything past 71 for the brake thing, i just dig the looks of drums. i rode my 64 everyday to work in 95 traffic from woodbridge,va to wash.d.c and just kept an eye out and gave myself room. shit, you have to do that with a disc brake.
          i REALLY dig your shovel the way it looks.

Appreciate the input, and you're right, I COULD just ride it the way it is. The disc conversion is part of a bigger plan though.
          Last edited by bparsel; 10-23-2014, 8:48 AM.

Comment

• Sky
            • Aug 2009

Not just the lower, the whole "leg" = tube+lower+internals
            Dave63 also suggested replacing the whole front end with a more modern wide glide.
            After some thought, why not make a caliper plate yourself? Use the axle as the second mount point.
            There is a drum to disc cast/forged "spider" adaptor so you could use the orig wheel too.Click image for larger version

Name:	mFDhv_NS6oYUc8R8sOPlbzg.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	1276743

Comment

• bparsel
              • Jul 2011

^^^ Nice find, thanks man! I just found the adapter on ebay. May be worth a shot while Im shopping for a new wide glide setup.

Comment

• bparsel
                • Jul 2011

Not sure if anybody will see this ...BUT...

Any opinions on this setup? Retains original forks.

I'm not sure why it says 16" and 19" wheels only though? Doesnt make sense that you couldnt run a 21" Any thoughts??

Comment

• ratfink56
                  • Nov 2009

I would not use that kit as it says you may have to cut off the stock brake mounting tabs. If your front end is an oe HD it would be a shame to cut it up. Used shovel fork assemblies are not hard to come by and not expensive. Find a complete one with wheel and brake and use your stock trees. Easy install and probably the cheapest answer.

Comment

• ratfink56
                    • Nov 2009

complete front end with wheel and brakes on jj for $500

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                    Working...
                    ;