Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • countryboychop
    • Oct 2011

2001 sportster 1200 Ditching the Voes Pros & Cons

Think of ditching the Voes. What is the pros n cons of it? An whats best way to go about ditching it
  • cardinalgrayheart105
    • Aug 2012

Keep it and hide it like I did. Or go with a dyna2000i ignition module and chunk it. It's too small of a detail to make or brake the appearance of a bike. You will get shit gas mileage and horrible performance without it on a stock ignition. Trust me I pulled and could tell a big difference. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	1276697

Comment

• Goober
      • Mar 2013

I deleted the voes on my 01 sportster. Just unplugged it and Put a cap on the carb where the vacuum line would exit. I have straight pipes and an open air filter with the stock ignition and I get 68 MPGs with more than enough power.

Comment

• TKPbikey
        • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Goober
        I deleted the voes on my 01 sportster. Just unplugged it and Put a cap on the carb where the vacuum line would exit. I have straight pipes and an open air filter with the stock ignition and I get 68 MPGs with more than enough power.
        How are you getting 68mpg? I have a 99 sportster with carb dialed in and only get 45-50 at best. Slipons, stock ignition, Voes, moon aircleaner, 1200 upgrade and rebuilt/ported/polished heads with new valves.

Comment

• daroberts3
          • Dec 2012

The VOES is the only way your ignition knows when to automatically advance the timing. The vacuum pressure across the carb passage closes the contacts inside the VOES and makes for continuity through the switch to ground. This happens very quickly and very often. All of the VOES are adjustable by prying away the rubber plug to reveal a slotted screw head. Turning this screw changes the tension on the spring and allows the contacts to move at different amounts of vacuum.
          The most common VOES bypass is to ground the violet wire from the ignition module and cap off the carb nipple. So what does this accomplish? It permanently locks your ignition timing in advance mode. Imagine a points ignition with the advance weights seized in full advance position! Not gonna start or run properly.
          My advice is to use it. Or, as previously posted, switch to an aftermarket ignition that has adjustable fuel And spark settings. Such as Daytona Twin Tec.

Comment

• Goober
            • Mar 2013

Just got lucky I guess. I built my bike from a frame and motor and the first test drive was a 2,400 mile road trip. I started out getting 40 mpg. But just driving long periods of time, everything tuned itself perfectly I guess.

Comment

• carboncopy136
              • Aug 2014

Keep it!!

Comment

• xllance
                • Apr 2024

Originally posted by Goober
                Just got lucky I guess. I built my bike from a frame and motor and the first test drive was a 2,400 mile road trip. I started out getting 40 mpg. But just driving long periods of time, everything tuned itself perfectly I guess.
                I'm getting the popcorn buttered in anticipation of your explanation on how your carbureted Sportster tuned itself. OK, go......

Comment

• Murder12
                  • Sep 2014

Keep it! Make it look better if you want but don't take it off. I got ride of mine and I'm going to be putting it back on.

Comment

• Sky
                    • Aug 2009

Some misinformation out there.
                    A voes can be ditched with little harm done to performance or mileage.
                    It's meant to tell the ignition whether or not to use one set of ignition curves or the other, according to manifold vacuum.
                    Grounding out the voes signal wire locks the Ignition Into the more aggressive/linear set of curves. With full advance coming on faster/sooner.
                    This is not ideal for a street machine, but niether are open/wacky pipes.

My recommendation,
                    Use the correct voes for your application or tune one to match.
                    My understanding is the higher the power to weight ratio the lower the vacuum rating in the switch.
                    Xls come with -3psi while baggars get -7psi from the factory. Dynas come with -5psi.

Comment

• daroberts3
                      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Sky
                      Some misinformation out there.
                      A voes can be ditched with little harm done to performance or mileage.
                      It's meant to tell the ignition whether or not to use one set of ignition curves or the other, according to manifold vacuum.
                      Grounding out the voes signal wire locks the Ignition Into the more aggressive/linear set of curves. With full advance coming on faster/sooner.
                      This is not ideal for a street machine, but niether are open/wacky pipes.

My recommendation,
                      Use the correct voes for your application or tune one to match.
                      My understanding is the higher the power to weight ratio the lower the vacuum rating in the switch.
                      Xls come with -3psi while baggars get -7psi from the factory. Dynas come with -5psi.
                      YES! All VOES part numbers are diff for each model family. But all VOES are adjustable. Simply remove the tamper plug and you will find a slotted screw. Turn the screw in and the amount of vacuum required will increase. Turn the screw out and it will decrease the required vacuum.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                      Working...
                      ;