X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Westboundbiker
    • Oct 2014

Suzuki GS450 bobber build

Hi Guys,

I recently picked up a 1985 GS450, after moving to the wild, cold north of Minnesota (Bikes are cheap up here! You southerners looking for a deal, come on up!). I had planned on selling it to some friends back in Indiana who had wanted to start riding, but being broke college students, they decided to save their money. Ok. So now I have two bikes, and a new wife who is not so thrilled about all the space they take up. So what do I decide to do? Take up more space and money by turning it into a bobber! I've always wanted one, and having a spare cheap bike around meant it was time for my project.
    I did some poking around on the web, and found this site, in particular these threads:
    So I just picked up this little chopper so I'd have something cool to run around instead of a silly sport bike. It's a GS450 motor (not sure what year), with a 16" comstar, 18" spoke disc wheel (no brake), with some cheap off the shelf chopper parts thrown on a crazy long hardtail. I think the guy who built it

Had this build on the main board, but it fits here better so I'll update here from now on...

Ghetto Blaster This is my 1982 Suzuki GS 450. I got it all stock and not running. After charging the battery and messing with the carbs for a minute it fired up. Since I knew it ran I went to work taking it apart and hardtailing the frame . I made a ton of stuff for it like the seat, taillight, motor mounts, rear

They acted as my inspiration, as well as a bit of a build guide. That’s why I decided that I should create a build post as well, to inform anyone else that may choose to bob out their GS450.
    Here is how she looked after I picked it up from the land of cheese:

And then I tore into her, and started stripping it down to frame, with a bit of help from my wife (single guys- it pays to marry a strong woman, when you have to lift out an engine!)

I put the frame up on my bike lift to do a bit of sketching out of possible frame designs. The frustrating part about bobbing this bike is that it is a triple backbone, meaning that I’d have to cut out plenty of frame.
    Design 1 draws from the first and second post- simple, draw in the two back uprights, tie them into a new single backbone.

Design 2 draws a bit from the third post- but with a curved back bone. This idea got thrown out when I decided not to either buy a tube roller or pay a shop to do it.

Design 3 also drew from the third, and the first two. It eliminated the two rear uprights. I decided against this, as I figured the engineers that designed it in the first place had a reason to support the engine in that many places.

So, with design one kinda chosen by default, I tore the rest of the parts off the frame. The swingarm was a b*tch to get off. But for anyone looking to bob their GS- make sure you don’t cut it or destroy the rod. It will come in handy later, even if you aren’t actually using it. It is a great way to make sure that your rear tire is aligned with the frame. So then I had two pieces of frame (not to mention piles of parts)

I picked up a sporty tank of CL, and dry fit it to what I had of the frame, just to start getting an idea of what the bike would look like.

I looked at the top half of the frame and realized that I could use a lot of those pieces to make the hardtail. Looks like Suzuki made a bobber, but just put the pieces together wrong. I cut the two other pieces of backbone off, and they turned out to be the perfect length to act as the lower pieces of the hardail. I jigged the frame up on my workbench, and got another perspective of how the bike would look (with an old busted kayak paddle and a random piece of tubing acting as backbone extension)

I realized I needed to fill the gap between the uprights and the backbone. I didn’t trust myself and just an angle grinder to make very good pie cuts, so I searched the frame for bent tube pieces that could make the connection- and found two pieces on the rear end of the bike that not only would make the bend, but would provide a nice wide area for a bead of weld.

Then I set to work removing all the tabs from the frame with the grinder. Just an FYI, while they sell the angle grinder with a grinding wheel, don’t try to save 10 bucks, just buy the flap wheel, it’ll save you 10 hours- especially with thick pieces like the centerstand support.

I knew I had to replace the kayak paddle, and order some other materials, so I got some tubing from McMaster Carr that was the same diameters as the frame tubes- as well as some that was a little smaller than each inner diameter, in order to make plugs to plug weld the frame tubes together. For newbs, plug welding is where a smaller tube is put inside a larger tube to provide a better structural weld than just sticking two pipes end to end and welding. You drill holes in the two outer tubes so that they can be welded to the plug as well.
    I then was looking around for how to make the upper pieces of the hardtail. Again, I saw pieces of the old frame that looked like they just might work, and a quick dry fit proved that they would be a pretty good match.

I cut them apart and flipped them over- such that the old down tubes now pointed up. I had planned to put the spring bungs in them, and, well, you’ll see how that works out. I taped the frame pieces together and got another shot of the bike shaping up, as well as my jig for holding the upper hardtail pieces.

One thing that is necessary is making sure you can turn the bars full lock left and right. Thus I had to do some dry fitting of the tank. All of which would end up changing anyways…

I then did a bit of shopping on Dime City Cycles, and found a seat, drag bars, axle plates, and spring bungs. All of which I’d totally recommend. No unboxing pics because everyone does those. I set the seat, old rear fender, and grab bar on the bike (now acting as a sissy bar) to mock up how things would look.

Then it was time to tear everything back apart, and do a crapload of fishmouthing/notching of tubes, to ensure that the tubes and plates all fit together well for maximum weld strength. I won’t bore you with picture, but will show what the whole thing jigged up for welding looks like. This was where I used the rear swingarm to ensure that the rear tire/axle was square to the bike. Basically, I put the old swingarm assembly back on, then the rear tire. Figured out the height the tire needed to be relative to the frame (this required re-jigging of the rest of the frame up higher), and then jigged the tire in place with some 2x4’s. With that in place, as well as the frame securely held down with some strips of aluminum and screws, it was time to ready it for the final welding. These pics were taken before I pulled it back apart and re-jigged it with all the weld areas filed down so the paint was off.

Don’t forget a place for the battery!

As it sits now, it was tacked together this weekend by my buddy. He didn’t finish the welding as his welder didn’t want to cooperate, so he did enough for me to take it out of the jig. I have been doing a final dry-fit of the tank and seat, and have run into the issue that where I wanted the spring bungs is not going to work, so I’m thinking about welding on a cross beam tube right behind where they were going to go. They are already cut to fit to tubing, so that shouldn't be a huge issue, just not the look I originally wanted. The other option is finding a smaller tank.
  • Jetblack
    • Apr 2024

You really should take the time and build a frame jig to make sure everything is lined up and squared. I'd hate to see you go through all this work and planning get it all slugged and welded up and it's too far out of whack to use.

Comment

• Westboundbiker
      • Oct 2014

I did have it with a rough jig with what I had available (2x4's and screws, and tape). My main concern was the alignment of the rear tire, and I did get that solidly jigged relative to the engine cradle. With notches machined in the upper and lower hardtail pieces, which butted up square against the axle plates, and the new backbone solidly slugged into place, the only pieces that could move much at all were the upper pieces of the uprights (still only about a 1/8" any direction) and the flat stock you see for the battery holder. I checked the alignment of everything after my buddy tacked it, and it looks pretty good. the only gripe I had was that I didn't measure well enough for how the seat will mount relative to the bungs. It leaves me 3 options at this point:
      1.) Relocate the bungs on the frame, using a piece of tubing behind and across, directly behind where the bungs are now. Then mount the bungs to those.
      2.) Find a smaller tank
      3.) Use some bracketing under the seat to create a second set of bungs, shifted forward on the seat to align with the ones on the frame.

I'm kinda tempted to try the third for now, see how it looks before I go get the final welding done.

Comment

• rene53catalina
        • Sep 2013

nice , love the way you use the old stuff you cut off the bike , and i really like those suzuki engines they are nise to see .
        i will follow this build

Comment

• Westboundbiker
          • Oct 2014

Got it in to the welder yesterday, so now I've got a roller! It's so awesome to see the thing up on wheels.

However, just a note, make sure that when you take something to a shop, you clearly explain what you're looking at having done. I forgot to mention that I had cut a gap where the upper hard tail pieces meet the backbone, so that I could put the seat mount there... And he filled in the holes. Whoops, not his bad, I should have been more clear.

However, speaking of tires- I need to pick out some new ones at some point, and figured I'd start looking now. I HATE how these old tires are sized. You have one size marked on the rim, these rims are marked as 16X2.15 rear and 19-MT1.85 front (which isn't even a consistent naming convention). These numbers don't mean that you should find a tire sized as a 2.15-16 for the rear- no, that 2.15 is the distance between the beads, while the way a tire measured in the old inch convention is measured across the widest part of the tire. So I measured the width of my tires, and I need ~5x16 rear, and a ~4x19 front or in modern sizing ~125/XX-16 and a 100/XX-19. Not to mention I'd like them to match. And match the bobber style. The front that is on it is a Dunlop Gold Seal F11. The tread looks like the style I want, but- they've quit making that style, as far as I can tell. I did find some on ebay however, but they are technically both rears- so instead I went with some Avon Speedmasters:
          Front: http://www.amazon.com/Avon-Tyres-Spe...aster+100%2F90
          Rear: http://www.amazon.com/Avon-Tyres-Saf...on+speedmaster

I also ordered a 2.4 gallon tank, as opposed to the 3.3 that I already have. I needed something smaller, so the seat could fit better, without the tank sitting over the hinge, and ending up with some really ugly exposed backbone. It's pretty neat to be this far along, I thought this was going to take a lot longer.

Next thing I need to do is find a good set of new controls, as opposed to the ugly old black ones. I'd like to get a lot more chrome on this, go traditional as opposed to the blackout trend. I'm thinking gun metal grey frame, hugger orange tank, with an off center stripe of the gunmetal.

Comment

• bubba32905
            • Oct 2014

Got a stupid question. You wouldn't happen to have the rear cutoff still would you? I bought a gs650 for my girl and snapped the top shock mount and am looking for the piece everywhere. I was just gonna do some hack welding but figured it would be nice to find the right piece.

Comment

• Westboundbiker
              • Oct 2014

Originally posted by bubba32905
              Got a stupid question. You wouldn't happen to have the rear cutoff still would you? I bought a gs650 for my girl and snapped the top shock mount and am looking for the piece everywhere. I was just gonna do some hack welding but figured it would be nice to find the right piece.
              Rear cutoff? I'm not sure what you mean there. I have both shocks still, but all of the frame except for the swing arm has pretty much been cannibalized for the build. One idea for you though, if you mean the stud that comes off the frame that attaches to the shock- the metal behind that in the frame, at least on my 450 is solid all the way through. You could conceivably drill and tap that for a bolt of the right diameter to hold the shock.

Comment

• ticrazy05
                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Westboundbiker
                Rear cutoff? I'm not sure what you mean there. I have both shocks still, but all of the frame except for the swing arm has pretty much been cannibalized for the build. One idea for you though, if you mean the stud that comes off the frame that attaches to the shock- the metal behind that in the frame, at least on my 450 is solid all the way through. You could conceivably drill and tap that for a bolt of the right diameter to hold the shock.
                If you are looking for the piece where to shocks mount. I believe I still have that piece seating in my scrap ban. Its from a gs850 but I believe its the same.

Comment

• ticrazy05
                  • Feb 2014

Where did you get your handle bar?

Comment

• Westboundbiker
                    • Oct 2014

I ordered it from DCC:

I know amazon has something similar as well, same price, but probably cheaper shipping. I just went with the DCC ones because I was already ordering a bunch of other parts from them, so it made sense to just do one big shipment. I've also been thinking about low rise bars, if I end up needing a couple inches more height to clear the tank.
                    Color/Finish: Chrome Material: Cold Rolled 1018 Steel Dimensions: Diameter: 7/8 in. Width: 31.25 in. Center Width: 4.5 in. Rise: 4.5 in. Pullback: 5 in. Wall Thickness: 2mm Fits: 7/8 in. Risers Note: This Item is not eligible for free shipping. Adding this item to CART makes the order ineligible for free shipping

Comment

• ticrazy05
                      • Feb 2014

Thank you !

Comment

• Westboundbiker
                        • Oct 2014

Got my new tank in, and got it fitted up!
                        I used some tabs that I'd ordered from DCC, flattened out the bottom of the tabs, and bolted them to the tank's tabs. I also drilled out one of the holes that was on the structure right behind the triple tree, where something had bolted on before. I used the rubber grommets that had gone on top of the tank on the original bike to space the tank each side of the frame. I then lowered the tank onto the back tabs, and ground those down until it sat level and square to the bike. I also had to grind away on the seat mount until it was square on the frame as well. Here's some pics of how she sits right now:

Also, a question for you guys: the tank obviously didn't come with a cap, so I'm wondering if someone can point me to a cap that would fit this?

Comment

• Westboundbiker
                          • Oct 2014

Sorry for the long delay, it's been busy up here, not to mention the first major snow of the year.

I've been working on a sissy bar lately- I wanted it to be low and very bobber styled when I was just zipping around town, or to be able to change to a taller sissy bar when I wanted to make a weekend trip, or just change up the styling. I figured I'd make a low fender loop, with a bracket welded on, which could be used to mount the taller hoop. I went and picked up 6 ft of 1/2" square tubing, as well as 3 ft of 1/4" bar stock which slid perfectly inside of the tube stock. I took off the rear wheel, and measured the distance between the outside of my axle plates, as well as the height to where I wanted the rear fender. I made a jig on my workbench, using screws to locate each point. I then fired up my wood furnace to act as a bit of a forge, and got to work bending the tube.

And... well... that didn't work. The heat wasn't even enough to make the bends where I wanted them. Crap.
                          So I used the next length of tube to try again, using a propane torch to heat the tube where I wanted it. Bend one- great, bend two- perfect! bend three... the outside of the tube burst. Crap! Now, I suppose I could have just tried again, with a little less heat on that last bend, and been a little more careful, but... I did some thinking and came up with a 2 piece design, where there would be a fender loop that would allow the taller bit to slide inside with a solid rod. Thus, I got to work cutting a new piece of tube stock into the right lengths to make my fender loop.

In order to get the pieces to be able to bolt to the axle brackets, I had to heat the ends of them, and flatten them with the vise. Turned out pretty well in my opinion.

I then cut some smaller pieces for the top of the bracket, angled against each other, and used a file to notch them to match up to the uprights. here I have them taped together so I could move them around more easily:

With the fender loop completed, I went to work with the torch again, and this time bent more carefully, and made an upper piece for my tall sissy bar. I drilled two holes in the lower section, so that the solid rod could be welded inside. I also drilled two holes in the fender loop uprights (with the solid bar inside at the height I wanted), so I could use some clips to hold the whole thing together when I put the taller sissy bar on. They won't carry any load, just be used to ensure that the top bar won't just lift out.

Final product assembled:

Separated:

I also got the new tires in, and got those mounted!
                          More pics to come, I drilled holes for mounting the sissy bar as well, and have that and the fender mocked up!

Comment

• Westboundbiker
                            • Oct 2014

So, sorry for the long delay, I've been busy! Both with the bike, work, and a new side project for a buddy (CB 750 that wasn't running). I really should have taken more pictures during this part of the process, but the summary is that I got the sissy bar welded up, the battery box welded together, a kick stand attached, and mounts for the coils attached as well. I ground down the mount that attaches the sissy bar to the rear fender.so it isn't just one big chunk of angle iron. I also turned down the spacers on the rear shaft, as they were causing fit issues along the length of the shaft. I got in a mini speedometer, and fitted it, along with a cap for the tank, petcock, and I'm working to figure out where to mount the turn signals... My initial idea is scrapped, as you can't see the signals from behind- The sissy bar gets in the way. Also, it feels great to have the engine in, even if it is just a dry assembly at this point- it feels so much more complete. I also set up the rear brake linkage, which required using a die to increase the threaded length on the connector, and drilling a hole for the bracket to hold the rear pad assembly. It went really quick and painlessly.

Speedo and cap. I've also since lined the tank... that stuff is hard to get a good coating on the tunnel.

Pegs on for a test of the seating position- not to bad, in my opinion.

Initial placement of the signals- its not very good, and I'm thinking of a new spot. Maybe some tabs on the sissy bar...

Another angle

Battery box before welding- I'm going to bolt it on to allow the brake assembly to be serviced more easily.

I used a couple pieces of steel bent to shape around the back bone as the mounts for the coils. You can see where they are- under the tank in some later pictures.

New parts welded on, and angle iron still unground...

Engine in, and the angle iron ground out. Much better!

Another angle.

Comment

• deathmetaldan
                              • Jan 2011

that sissy bar came out pretty slick. Are you going to cope the angle iron or just stack it up?

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;