Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nicklepage1010
    • Jun 2013

That pod question

So I'm working on a 1983 dohc honda with the CV carbs, and I've read that people have tuned their carbs with pods, while others have strongly recommended against it.
    So I'm looking for real world solutions. Who actually has a DOHC with the CV carbs? What are you running for a jet combo? Do you have pictures of your setup? The more correct info the better, please refrain from "well I've heard" replies
  • Slayer63
    • Aug 2011

This question is asked way too often. Did you use the search function? Its a really neat feature. Do you want a definitive answer? You won't get one. The closest I ever go a dohc bike to run correctly with pods and CV carbs were 75/110s with 3 1/2 turns out. Still had a slight stumble. Try that combo and wrapping some tape around 2/3s of your filters. If you really want to run pods, switch to mik carbs and a four into one.

Comment

• Nicklepage1010
      • Jun 2013

I've done plenty of research, not only on here but on multiple other sites. It seemed the information on this site was pretty slim Compared to other forums. Thanks for the input

Comment

• Slayer63
        • Aug 2011

Sorry if that came off a little dickish. I woke up on the floor with a killer hangover. I just seem toget aasked that question more than I like to. I strongly recommend against pods for an inline four. Especially the cheap eBay specials. Those motors were designed to run restricted. I know it goes against common hot rodding thought but its been true on all the sohc and dohc bikes that have been through my garage. One exception to that the k&n double pods with a crossover tube. Of course that was on a 72.

I've had good results with a bread box with the top and side holes sealed off. I've had plans to build a box around some stacks similar to the breadbox design but updated.

Comment

• Nicklepage1010
          • Jun 2013

I'll probably just find a way to dress up the stock airbox, no worries. Thanks again for the info man

Comment

• PeteyD13
            • Mar 2014

I'm working with Pods and CV carbs on my CB 900. It's rideable, but I need to fuck around with it more. I'm using UNI foam pods, stock jets, and 3.5 turns out right now. It runs rich and stumbles between 4 and 5k (ish.) Throttle response is good from idle. At 2.5 turns out, it stumbles from 1 to 3k, and works fine up higher.

I'm thinking about making small bocking plates to restrict flow through the filters by half, and leaning out the mixture to see if that helps. If that dosen't work, I'll put in a stage three jet kit, and if that dosen't work I'll start looking for some flat slide Mikuni's on the cheap.

Comment

• tattooedemployed13
              • Jun 2014

Originally posted by PeteyD13
              I'm working with Pods and CV carbs on my CB 900. It's rideable, but I need to fuck around with it more. I'm using UNI foam pods, stock jets, and 3.5 turns out right now. It runs rich and stumbles between 4 and 5k (ish.) Throttle response is good from idle. At 2.5 turns out, it stumbles from 1 to 3k, and works fine up higher.

I'm thinking about making small bocking plates to restrict flow through the filters by half, and leaning out the mixture to see if that helps. If that dosen't work, I'll put in a stage three jet kit, and if that dosen't work I'll start looking for some flat slide Mikuni's on the cheap.
              What are you running for exhaust? I have a cb750 with pods and drag pipes and it just doesn't want to take at all.

Comment

• PeteyD13
                • Mar 2014

Exhaust is stock head and mid pipe, cut off and converted to 4 into 2 using simple y pipes and emgo shorty mufflers.

Comment

• jessadamessa
                  • Apr 2012

Lots of good and bad info out there...here's what worked on my '81. 110/75 jets, 2.5 - 3.5 turns out, pods taped ~2/3 of the way down (see picture). Does it run as strong as the stock air box? No, and never will with pods (mainly throttle response at low RPM). But she runs smooth and is reliable. If I wanted function over form I wouldn't have built a hard tail with a wooden seat. My advice to you, though: don't blame a sluggish spot or a pop on pods, in my case it was about 5 other issues that I had to resolve before getting it right. Good luck

Click image for larger version

Name:	Renee - Pods.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	1276593

Comment

• JuanCarlito
                    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by jessadamessa
                    Lots of good and bad info out there...here's what worked on my '81. 110/75 jets, 2.5 - 3.5 turns out, pods taped ~2/3 of the way down (see picture). Does it run as strong as the stock air box? No, and never will with pods (mainly throttle response at low RPM). But she runs smooth and is reliable. If I wanted function over form I wouldn't have built a hard tail with a wooden seat. My advice to you, though: don't blame a sluggish spot or a pop on pods, in my case it was about 5 other issues that I had to resolve before getting it right. Good luck

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52614[/ATTACH]
                    Thats a sick electrics box. Have any links to more info on that??

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                    Working...
                    ;