Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dethklok
    • Jan 2014

4 up vs 6 up for 5'8" Rider?

Well guys Im in a huge debate as I start my shovel build to stretch 4 up or 6 up in the frames downtube

I am 5'8" (although I do have kind of a longer torso) and as the build goes I want to broomstick bars with only 4"-6" risers and have them place my hands about shoulder height with minimal lean forward.

I found a pic of a rider on his chop (I have no idea who it is or what their height is) but they have pretty much the same stance and riding position Im looking to get.

Also Im sorry for the very stupid question, locally theres a bunch of bobbers but havent found anyone with a chopper stretched to what Im looking to do to get an idea of feel and size

Click image for larger version

Name:	chopper.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	1336446
    Last edited by Dethklok; 09-30-2014, 5:13 PM.
  • SyndicateChoppers
    • Sep 2011

well lets start from square 1
    4 over or 6 over tubes are not going to have much effect on handlebar position for you
    that is really going to come with riser and handlebar height

if you want to replicate the stance in that pic there it appears that frame has a good amount of "up" (extended down tubes in the frame) compared to stock,
    the front end looks like it could be an 8 or 10 over (tough to tell exactly from the pic)

what kind of frame are you working with ?
    when I build bikes and want to figure out the ride stance that I want, basically I just set it on my table and jack the bike up or down to get the stance that I want
    take a few measurements and that will give you the length of the fork tubes you are after,

but like I mentioned above a 4 or 6 over front end on a stock frame is not going to give you the stance like that bike in the pic there
    Last edited by SyndicateChoppers; 09-30-2014, 3:56 PM.

Comment

• Dethklok
      • Jan 2014

Oh damn my bad I should have clarified I meant 4 up or 6 up stretch in the downtube on the frame not the fork tubes. As for the frame Im probally just going to go at it from scratch or Ive been looking at a BKC frame or Led Sled

Comment

• FredoSNR
        • Jun 2010

Thats my bike. I did not build the frame, the bike was built in the 90s. The last owner told me it he thinks it is 5" up and 42* rake from what he remembers, but is not sure. I am also 5'8" and I get people asking me how I ride this thing, but aside from the seat, I think it's comfortable. I might actually be selling it soon, maybe I will dig up this thread and contact you when I make up my mind.

Comment

• Dethklok
          • Jan 2014

Hey awesome man thanks for the reply and pic, man I don't know what those folks are riding but that position is damn near perfect looking for me. I was gonna say I didn't think it was gonna be more than up 6 but the gap between the motor and the neck didn't look as big as other builds that had the downtubes stretched 6" (again this all my eyes talking I am no expert by any means) so 4-5 wouldn't be bad at all so Im guessing 5 up and maybe like 0-1 out. This does help me a lot.

But anyone else wanna chime in please feel free to ofcourse!

Comment

• FredoSNR
            • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Dethklok
            Hey awesome man thanks for the reply and pic, man I don't know what those folks are riding but that position is damn near perfect looking for me. I was gonna say I didn't think it was gonna be more than up 6 but the gap between the motor and the neck didn't look as big as other builds that had the downtubes stretched 6" (again this all my eyes talking I am no expert by any means) so 4-5 wouldn't be bad at all so Im guessing 5 up and maybe like 0-1 out. This does help me a lot.

But anyone else wanna chime in please feel free to ofcourse!
            Right on. This one has no backbone stretch, just for reference.

Comment

• Dethklok
              • Jan 2014

nice thank you again...I know where I mount on the seat and that Im gonna run mid controls can make a difference but I figure gather as much info as possible. Im just really surprised how much 4" stretch can look when ya actually stick a 5'8" rider on the bike

Comment

• Pyrokustoms
                • Oct 2011

If you are doing a hardtail frame at your size I would say 4 up. You sit down and back on most hardtails. Spent a few years on a 6 up 2 out hardtail and really liked the position well, but I am 6'1. Keep a check on your handle bar pull back, not enough pullback on the bars will have your reaching way out in the parking lots making tight turns. Building another stretch frame bike now for a daily rider, nothing better for me than riding a chop with stretch up in it! The gold chop in photos on my profile page was my last chop.
                Last edited by Pyrokustoms; 10-01-2014, 8:50 AM.

Comment

• Dethklok
                  • Jan 2014

Yea its making more sense to me, I aint that tall so 6 up may not be what Im looking for...Im thinking 4-5" downtube stretch and then a 1" drop seat and everything should be perfect.

I am just surprised as to how tall 4 inches actually end up seeming despite the fact that its only 4"

Comment

• Dethklok
                    • Jan 2014

If anyone has anymore pics of riders 5'8" on 4-6 up frames Ide appreciate it still looking everything over

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                    Working...
                    ;