CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default '04 V-Star first build, new to choppin'

Been lingering here for a while and seen a lot of inspirational builds and talent. Figured I should contribute, this is my first bike and first build. I'm new to a lot of this, so I'm learning as I go.

Picked up my '04 V-Star a few years ago and I've been tinkering with it little by little ever since. I'll try to pull some old pics and get you caught up to where I am currently. More to come soon!

Get Adobe Flash player

Here's what I started with, '04 Custom model:

Get Adobe Flash player

First thing I did was lower the rear using to J-slam method, I moved the front mono shock mount location forward 1" which lowered the rear about 4".

Get Adobe Flash player

Next was getting rid of those hideous stock bars

Decided to go with some mini apes, matte black b/c who wants to clean a bunch of chrome?
    Look at those fugly rabbit ear mirrors, we'll ditch those soon...

Get Adobe Flash player

Again, I hate cleaning, polising , etc. So I'm not a big fan of chrome, and though I love black...gloss black is impossible to keep looking clean; enter, plasti-dip. I did my side covers, air filter bagel, headlight and mirrors right away and eventually I'd like to do my fork lowers and a few other things. You can also see from this picture that I chopped my exhaust and ditched those gigantic mufflers.
    Last edited by JBDad85; 09-27-2014 at 4:52 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Ditched the stock mirrors and went with this bar end mirror, found it on amazon for $12 made for a bicycle! Sturdy and has held up now for 2 years, beats the hell outta the ones made for motorcycles at $60 or more!!

Get Adobe Flash player

Well, it was around this time I stumbled onto chop cult. All the awesome bikes here inspired me to try to take mine to the next level. I love sportster tanks, tall sissy bars and skinny bikes...however my limited skills and the double back bone on this scoot kinda shot that idea down for the time being. Instead I decided to go with the stripped down bobber look, so I removed the stock fenders' bought a flat fender and solo seat and started mocking stuff up.

Get Adobe Flash player

Decided I didn't like the seat or the flat fender, looked too "thrown together". Figured I'd be better off making my own seat and ditched the idea of a fender for the time being (more on that later).

Get Adobe Flash player

First I made a metal plate out of a road sign to hide the mono shock and electricals under the seat.

Get Adobe Flash player

Scratched out the desired shape for the seat and started cutting...check out my brothers awesome beard!
    Drilled the mounting holes in the pan and bolted a long piece of square tubing to it to use for leverage to bend it to the desired shape in the vise. Here it is mounted to the bike.
    Another view, also added a swingarm bag.
    Mounted tail light/licence plate holder.
    Brother's Street Bob in the background.

Get Adobe Flash player

Although I liked the look of the exhaust without the mufflers, it looked unfinished. I also wasn't getting the sound I was looking for due to the tiny 1" pipe hidden behind those chrome covers.
    Picked up some exhaust tips from the auto parts store that slid perfectly over the chrome covers.

Weldin them on
    Exhaust wrap.
    Much better.

Get Adobe Flash player

Got tired of looking at those hideous lollipop turn signals up front so picked up some led strips at the auto store. Amber for up front and red for the rear...they're flexible and have 3M adhesive on the back so it made installing them real easy.
    Much cleaner look up front.
    If I can figure out how to post a video I'll get it up so you can see them in action. Had to use some diodes and bypass the factory flasher with an electromechanical one to get them flashing properly
    Last edited by JBDad85; 10-04-2014 at 8:27 AM.

Nice build so far man! I have an 06 that's pretty similar... Different paint - same basic chop. Did your exhaust have the 1" chicken shit pipe in both the front and the back. Mine only had one up front. I like your idea with the tips - I was thinking about doing the same thing.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks! Mine had 1" front and back. The tips were cheap and easy!

Get Adobe Flash player

Made a fuel bottle holder out of a leather tool bag...just cut a hole in one side for the top of the bottle to stick out of and mounted it sideways on the bike.

Also, got tired of all the popping and backfiring on decel so I removed the AIS system.

Plus it cleans up that side if the bike a little...
    Last edited by JBDad85; 09-28-2014 at 7:31 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Riding season checked in so things slowed down quite a bit, been riding it just like this for a while. Haven't covered the seat yet because I'm still not sure this is how I want to run it...got some other ideas in my head so we'll see where it goes.

Get Adobe Flash player

That just about brings things up to date. Now I think I'm going to take things in a different direction...I really want to make this thing skinnier. Again, I don't have the balls to cut out the double back bone to change the tank and mounting one on top the backbone just doesnt look right to me. So I'll have to go another route, I bought another vstar tank and my plans are to dish the sides.
    Skinny goes well with tall sissy bars, so that's a must. Thinking of changing up the bars again too. But first gotta relocate all the switches. Should be interesting to see if I can make this thing look like the vision I have!

Get Adobe Flash player

Gonna be tough to mount a sissy bar without a rear fender so we'll start with that. Got this beauty in the mail from Led Sled about a week ago.

Wish you could find this on more things...yeah I know, its a Jap chop but its reliable and it was affordable.

Here it is mocked up on the bike, sexy, no?

Get Adobe Flash player

Wow great looking bike! Love that wide solo seat!
    oh and the fender is definitely sexy...

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks! I'm actually thinking about changing the seat once I get the rear fender mounted. Want to go with a hard mounted seat that will follow the lines of the bike a little better. We'll see!

Share This