CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default What to do with that 39mm fork ?

I bought a 39mm fork a while ago and now lifted the fork plugs.
    I found that the part on the most upper position (the threaded insert if that is the correct description, where the fork-plugs are screwed onto) seems to be torn on one of the legs and looks like if the spring was pressed against it with to much power (just my impression when looking at it).

This is the side that looks normal to me :

In the other leg, it looks like if the spring was pressed to much from below into the upper threaded part which obviously serves as the top stop of the spring ?
    That portion is teared and the spring sits a bit higher here vs the other leg.

What happened to this fork ? Is it repairable ?

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Are these extended tubes?

Doesn't look like anything wrong to me other than two pieces of PVC pipe (which are used as spacers with extended fork legs and stock springs) that got destroyed over time. Bang them out and replace them.

That would make sense about the pipe extensions. The tubes have the same length as the ones on my 88 FXRT, but that `88 has been modified by PO`s and i don`t know if it`s stock length.

On the fork pictured i also don`t have knowledge what components have been put together by previous owners eventually.

What would i look at if there are no extensions ? Does the threaded section has a stop at it`s end that holds the springs back usually ?

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

There is nothing other than the cap which holds the springs down. When you stick the spring in the tube, it normally protrudes by several inches. You must then force the cap & spring down to get the cap to thread on and hold the spring in.

With extended tubes a stock spring is used. They don't make springs of varying lengths for longer tubes. So a piece of white PVC pipe is normally used as a spacer between the cap and the spring which is as long as however many "inches over stock" the fork tube is. The result is that the same tension is applied to the spring as would be with an all stock setup. It looks like the spacer used was wider in OD than what is normally used. It looks like it is jammed in there. Additionally, it looks like the spring tore it up and destroyed them.

Bang them out. The spring needs to be able to slide in from the top. The tube is completely hollow with just a bit of threads at the top, nothing else.

Share This