Fxdx blowing ignition fuse periodically!

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • unicornzombie
    • Feb 2014

Fxdx blowing ignition fuse periodically!

What happens to my 01 FXDX: I go out riding and some days I'll never blow a fuse. Maybe 2 or 3 days later I go out and my ignition fuse blows then the son of a bitch is fine for another few days. I have checked all the wiring, nothing is pinched or grounding out, and everything is testing fine. Currently, I am clueless. I just took it to a shop (Bennett's Performance in Signal Hill Ca) and they also said they couldn't find anything. It typically doesn't happen during the first few hours of riding/start ups. I took her on a 3400 mile run this summer and never had a problem. When I came back I gave her a bath and a week or so later was when the fuse started blowing. Any ideas??? She is my daily and I'm sick of switching out fuses every couple of days. Hope someone can help.
    Cheers,
    -Cade
    Last edited by unicornzombie; 09-23-2014, 9:37 PM.
  • farmall
    • Apr 2013

If the ignition unit has thermal issues it may heat up and draw too much current.

What else runs off that fuse?

We aren't all looking at schematics and for some bizarre reason you couldn't bother to POST THE YEAR. in case one of us has the manual.

If you have the factory service manual (every HD owner should buy that and a parts book even if they don't wrench much themselves) you might scan and post the schematic.

Comment

• unicornzombie
      • Feb 2014

Sorry! It is an 01. And I'll get my hands on one asap.

Comment

• daroberts3
        • Dec 2012

2001 FXDX main harness runs inside the frame backbone. If any one has fingered around in there, ever, it is possible a wire has shorted. Blown fuses are caused by shorts, usually a voltage wire touching to ground.
        Other places to look: replace the starter relay, right side handlebar switches, are the handle bars internally wired? If so, look inside there.
        As Farmall stated you need the FSM wiring schematic to determine what is on that circuit.

Comment

• unicornzombie
          • Feb 2014

I checked all the wiring in the handle bars and pulled wires out of backbone. Nothing's grounding out. I'll check the other places you mentioned as well. Thanks.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
          Working...
          ;