Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dexter
    • Sep 2014

Ironhead Boardtracker

So hi from over the pond, finally got re started on this project... after 18 months under a sheet.

Bit of back history its a 1983 ish Ironhead at at some point was imported to the UK.

It was won on Ebay on a press and hope, I didnt expect to much - only running on one, and a carb which worked only to pass fuel onto the ground, it had been off the road for over 6 years but perfect for my project.

On the trip back the plans were hatched and nearly all the bike was resold on Ebay to make way for the fresh start.

The frame which as the title suggests is based on my idea of a modern Boardtracker, this was farmed out to a local frame builder and sat on some wheels, or one and a magic balancing wheel....

[IMG][/IMG]

This is project more about spending with my dad working out of a single lock up garage working through the design as we go so it may well take some time.
    Last edited by Dexter; 10-30-2015, 3:25 PM.
  • Dragstews
    • Sep 2010

Love the look of the open frame... Very well done..

Kinda had a wonder about if you have in mind of doing head steady's to each head like the 79-up ironheads from the factory ran...???
    Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• Dexter
      • Sep 2014

Hi Dragstews

Not sue if you can make it out in the picture but we have 3 steel balls turned up 1 on each head and 1 on the frame the plan is ti link these up with a profiled plate and use thi sto hold the ignition, the coil and the suicide shift. These are in the process of bing made as we speak so should have some further photos soon.

Due you have any images of the factory type as i have not see that before ?

Comment

• Dragstews
        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Dexter
        Hi Dragstews

Due you have any images of the factory type as i have not see that before ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	mZq6FeVHHis0ScGoKD2MAKw.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	1276124
        Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• Dexter
          • Sep 2014

Hi

So bit of work on the rear wheel, first a new sprocket to Harley teeth pitch, nice new shiny aluminium.

[IMG][/IMG]

Then the mounting of the rear caliper, this is still a work in progress and will need a boss welded on the frame to mount the link bar.

[IMG][/IMG]
          Last edited by Dexter; 10-30-2015, 3:28 PM.

Comment

• Dexter
            • Sep 2014

Ok so not much to report but how about a big trumpet ?

[IMG][/IMG]
            Last edited by Dexter; 10-30-2015, 3:30 PM.

Comment

• Dexter
              • Sep 2014

So front suspension - having sold off the Harley front end I want to go Girder.
              Spoke to a few people, read a lot and having been quoted some big numbers to have it made by others thought we could make our own.
              So more homework and lots more reading and then lots more reading and a few home brew mock ups to test out some ideas.

So in the time honoured fashion of bits of wood and tape measure we formulated a plan. The final design would take elements from custom bikes I admire and a look that would suit the finished bike in my head...

[IMG][/IMG]

So you start to get the idea I hope.

[IMG][/IMG]
              [IMG][/IMG]
              So now the next challenge is to turn this idea into drawings so we can fabricate the parts.
              Last edited by Dexter; 10-30-2015, 3:35 PM.

Comment

• CraiGORE
                • Jul 2011

this thing is interesting for sure

Comment

• Dexter
                  • Sep 2014

Interesting in a good way i hope

Comment

• Saltytonk
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Dexter
                    Interesting in a good way i hope
                    It is interesting in a good way. but I'm afraid I don't see the "boardtracker" here.

Comment

• NHMike
                      • Apr 2024

Originally posted by Saltytonk
                      It is interesting in a good way. but I'm afraid I don't see the "boardtracker" here.
                      Agreed.

I dig the frame, not too nuts about that style of Front End as they always look "bulky" to me. But the frame is killer and the wheels look great on there.

Comment

• Dexter
                        • Sep 2014

Ok the Boardtracker name was sort of based on the planned tank design which will fit inside the frame tubes and the whole bike will be on the minimal side of life, ok no skinney wheels but closest thing i thought it resembled.
                        Maybe i need to come up with a new style name any suggestions ?
                        The front end components are drawn up now and in fabrication, photos to follow but the blades which will be solid aluminium these are the last items to be made and so I want to look at the final proportions but to be fair looks like they wont be everybody's cup of tea.

Thanks for the comments

Comment

• Dexter
                          • Sep 2014

So following on from the drawings I started with the headstock, picked up an origional HD stem on ebay.
                          Our Girder design uses a mixture of components of steel tube and flat steel plate and having given the drawing to an engineering company the flat steel items were lazer cut starting with
                          Top and bottom Yoke.

[/IMG]
                          The first operation was to bore them out to the correct size for the stem so they would be a press fit for the bottom yoke and slide fit for the top. Then they were drilled and tap on the sides for the wishbone fixing.( more later )

[IMG][/IMG]
                          Next we modified the stem and added a threaded section so we could tension the headstock bearings.

[IMG][/IMG]
                          Here its assembled in the frame with bearings

Looks like I can only post 5 pictures a post so further update soon.
                          Last edited by Dexter; 10-30-2015, 3:43 PM.

Comment

• Dexter
                            • Sep 2014

So to finish the steering stem here it is with the tensioning nut, you will notice that at this stage we still need to turn down the thread so its underflush

[/IMG]

An here its as a dry build, next job is to make a counterbored washer so we can use the HD clamp down bolt to hold the top yoke onto the top yoke.
                            [/IMG]
                            Last edited by Dexter; 10-30-2015, 3:45 PM.

Comment

• Dexter
                              • Sep 2014

Then on to the wishbones, these are made from thick wall tubing and lazer cut steel plate. The plan was to use bronze bushes as bearings so looking at tube sizes and bushes with a combo that tried to cut down on loads of turning, we discounted going down the solid brass bar route but found just what we wanted on good old Ebay oilite bearing in either straight tube or top hat. Ended going for the straight type so once these had arrived it was out with the drawing board and working out sizes and clearances etc we ended up drawing a full size front end with headstock yokes and wishbones to get the trail and confirm the blade size and location of the piviot holes, then the fun part getting it built.

So lazer cut plate
                              [/IMG]

Dry run
                              [/IMG]
                              [IMG][/IMG]

As this was to be a welded construction we designed some lazer plates that would form the welding jig to keep all the components lined up and in place.
                              [IMG][/IMG]
                              [IMG][/IMG]
                              Last edited by Dexter; 10-30-2015, 3:55 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;