Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dexter
    • Sep 2014

Hi Surfbum, best bit on putting it on here is i hopfully won't upset the BMW classic fan's who may not take to kindly to my plans.
    Last edited by Dexter; 10-20-2015, 2:06 PM.

Comment

• OleDirtyDoc
      • Jul 2013

Fuck em. It's your bike,right?don't think there's many stock beemer fans here

Comment

• Dexter
        • Sep 2014

Guess were going to find out if ther are any BM fans

just going to have and not lose any focus on the Harley, wiring turned up so could be off and running the weekend.

Comment

• Dexter
          • Sep 2014

Ok so a bit off topic but the build thread as discussed above has been started in the Bristish & European section under " BMW Airhead Drag Bike " for anyone who's interested - for everyone else should be business as usual here in Broadtracker land.....

Comment

• Dexter
            • Sep 2014

I remember back in the day going to watch a film called "Battle Star Gallactica" it think is was and the latest thing was some sort of super surround sound experience - every time the Gallactica came into view the floor would shake and people covering their ears....... well you get the idea so when I follow build threads its always good if they have pictures and even better if you can see what's happening lets call it the Gallactica effect ! I was looking at my mutterings todate and have always been un-impressed by my pictures when I see what other folk have managed. Well this weekend I had one of those moments of clarity a photo hosting site - I understood they existed but never used one, well hold the press just found out that if you post pictures using this method URL - nice big pictures.
            So in celebration of this new discovery if you have a spare couple of mins check out this thread from the start all pictures redone but no airbrushing / enhancements honest - took F**King hours......

In other news not much progress on the Harley as I thought the BM has taken over but only for a few weeks. However I did get the vernier out and the trusty pencil and paper - and drawn up the front caliper bracket, this will be milled out of Ali to the same spec as the blade. Lookes like the offset of the caliper mounting lugs and their relationship to the mounting bracket could work out maybe a small adjustment. This may help....
            If your still reading this thanks for looking...

[IMG][/IMG]
            Last edited by Dexter; 11-06-2015, 2:24 PM.

Comment

• Dexter
              • Sep 2014

Fuse box time - so we have been looking at how best to make up a new loom and get rid of the Harley overloads. Found a single feed fuse box and have also bought some re-setable blade fuses.

[IMG][/IMG]

The fuse box looked to fit between the tanks as planned so it was next a case of making a mounting bracket, made out of some 3mm x 20mm strap and tapped 5mm holes to clamp the fuse box to.

[IMG][/IMG]

The bracket was welded to the underneath of teh top frame tube so hanging down bat like.. with a space behind to give soem clearance to the tank, here it is fixed in position.

[IMG][/IMG]

We have ordered up so solder type crimps and next week hope to run the wiring and check the battery will turn the engine over - fingers crossed

Comment

• Dexter
                • Sep 2014

So no photos but progress made, all the wires are now terminated with the spade or ring ends heat shrunk on one end and temporary connection the other so it can all be stripped down to pull through the frame. Need to buy an inline fuse so moved onto mounting the voltage regulator heatsink thing. Couple of mounting tabs are now tack welded in position so once the bike gets stripped this can be added to the every growing list of finishing off jobs, list implying that they are all written down to be crossed off - err NO could be a good idea though
                In other news the caliper mount should be turning its self from a solid lump into a carefully sculptured piece of aluminium, strangley the 12 point bolts and fixing nuts are yet to turn up so this may also stall before we get to far..

Comment

• Dexter
                  • Sep 2014

So 2 weeks on and finally some pictures...

But first the jury rigged wiring was finished up turned the key...... and bingo it turned over first time in over 4 years... so proves the battery which was selected on physical size to fit in between the frame rails not to a Harley spec is ok although its not a a real test the wiring didn't smoke or the starter stall so were going to take that as a victory at this stage. The frame has been marked up for the locations the wiring will take through the frame and now carefully taucked up in its box till the final assembley.

Next up was the caliper mount this has been machined up on our mill and was an chance to see how much would need to be adjusted to bring the caliper into its final position side to side as this was not easy to measure accuratly.

[IMG]
                  [/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The brown wire was used to set the clearance between disc and caliper - not sure if you can see but the mount is over hanging the girder blade by 6mm so the mount is now back to the mill for a bit of adjustment to bring this inline.

[IMG][/IMG]

Final job was the remove the girder blade on this side so it can be set up in the mill to drill and tap the mounting holes for the caliper mount, the plan will be to cut a lenght of thread from a high spec bolt and thread lock these into the blade then the new 12 point nuts will do the clamping duty.

We have some plans to make the caliper mount look less functional but getting it fitted up will be a big tick in the box.

Comment

• lukecrabwalker
                    • Oct 2015

this thing is amazing

Comment

• Dexter
                      • Sep 2014

Hi Luke

Thanks, its not everyone's type of Marmite but if yours the next update is coming soon.

Comment

• Dexter
                        • Sep 2014

Ok so finaly got to the next stage in the build been a few bumps in the road but nothing that could'nt be overcome... so last time we had marked out the blade for the caliper bracket fixings. The plan was to remove the blade and drill this off - oh yeah... this thing is fairly big and our bench drill did not have the space required, looked at drilling this off by hand but this high spec ali is hard. Lot more scratching of heads and workmate and bench drill G clamps and some further swearing and we had 2 holes drilled for 10mm. These were then fitted with some threaded section of some 8.8 bolts the threads being 25mm deep.

If you look back a few pages we had always planned to reduce the trailing edge of the blade and now we have a milling machine this was the next task - heres a picture of this in the early stages with mounting threads.

[IMG][/IMG]

We then changed the plan and ran this all the way to the top of the blade.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The last part of the puzzle was cutting down the 12 point bolts (metric fine) so they were the correct length for the caliper bracket now this had been adjusted to get the final position of the caliper relative to the disc center line. We wanted to have a course thread in the blade so this was tapped 10 x1.5mm and the 12 point nuts used for this to complete the look.

[IMG][/IMG]

You can just see the marked outline of the next stage which is to scallop out this section to give the bracket a bit more shape.

We have also just been to have the front brake hose made so should have some more pictures soon
                        Last edited by Dexter; 12-17-2015, 1:25 PM.

Comment

• Dexter
                          • Sep 2014

Dry day so pushed the bike outside and fitted the brake lines, just jury rigged up awaiting some proper clips to replace the cable ties and sort out the front hose run but you get the idea.

[IMG][/IMG]
                          [IMG][/IMG]
                          [IMG]
                          [/IMG]

Both blades are now machined so that probally this is it before Christmas, just keeping the fingers crossed for good weather on Boxing day for the local bike and car meet.

Comment

• Dexter
                            • Sep 2014

So going bacwards as i found some more photos...

The caliper mount from the rear side showing the pockets that needed to be machined to get the disc alignment correct.
                            [IMG][/IMG]

The blade mounted up on the mill drilling ready to start drilling the mounting holes.
                            [IMG][/IMG]

This time with the link to the photos......
                            Last edited by Dexter; 01-01-2016, 3:15 AM.

Comment

• Dexter
                              • Sep 2014

Boxing day meet up was abust for me so the next thing in the way of a bike meet was in the town center from me with 500 bikes expected, the weather forcast said rain from 1.00 so we arrived at 12 unloaded and pushed the bike to the closest spot, wouldnt want to push this to far....

We ended parked up with a local Harley bike builder and his bikes couple of photos.
                              [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Got talking to the owner builder of this bike take a look at the engine - sportster bottom end and WF top..... Indian front end...

[IMG][/IMG]

Rain started at 1.00 as planned so we were in the van and out of there.
                              Last edited by Dexter; 01-01-2016, 12:37 PM.

Comment

• EMD
                                • Apr 2014

This is an outstanding build/adventure. I love every bit of this thread. I will subscribe to it. Looking forward to seeing more.
                                If you are ever interested, here are a few goodies we manufacture for Ironhead Sportsters...

Thanks again for sharing you build. —Ben

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;