Advice for getting around NYC (Bklyn Invitational)

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • calicruiser
    • Aug 2009

Advice for getting around NYC (Bklyn Invitational)

Wife and I will be driving to NYC for the invitational and will be there fri. and sat. and leave sun. What is the best way to get around the city? Walk? Cabs? This is the first time in NYC for us so we wanna do some of the tourist stuff. I assume driving a car is a bitch and parking especially. What about bicycles? I have no doubt I can survive on a bicycle but not sure about the wife. She is more of a laid back beach cruiser type! Any advice would be great. thanks!

josh
  • calicruiser
    • Aug 2009

Also, I know no guns in NY but what about small knives?

Comment

• HebrewHammer666
      • Jun 2014

i can tell you from first hand experience i spent two days in central booking for having a folding knife clipped in my back pocket while riding my bicycle in brooklyn.
      undercovers snatched me off my bike like i murdered somebody.
      avoid driving into the city would be my advice. parking will suck and be big $$$$. park in hoboken or jersey city and take the path in. bicycles are the best and quickest way around the city above ground. you can rent a citibike which is convenient from what i hear.

Comment

• buckshotgumbo
        • Apr 2013

Last time I stayed in NY, we stayed at a hotel that offered parking, so we drove in.
        Not a big deal, the city is pretty easy to navigate. Familiarize yourself with a map beforehand, and bring it with you, as your GPS may not function well among the buildings.

Another option would be to park at a train station, and take the train in.
        I've done this too.
        Also cake.

I always walk or travel by cab when in the city. I love a NY cab ride.
        The city really isn't that intimidating, if you do a little research on where you're going and the surrounding areas.
        And this is coming from a pudunk country ass.

Comment

• loddytoddy
          • Jul 2014

if you ride a bike around watch for them cabs.. they're a bitch..

I advocate riding a bike around. I did when I was there a few years ago.. brakeless BMX bike. just watch the damn cabs.

Comment

• acegoulet
            • Sep 2013

NYC knife laws are interesting. You can carry a knife with a blade of less than 4" as long as it isn't visible. That includes the clip (like the other guy mentioned). So throw a folding knife in your bag and you are fine. Anything with a blade over 4" is illegal to carry unless you are on your way to (or from) an activity or job where the use of that tool is required (construction, camping, hiking, fishing, etc). So yes, the old "tell them you are going camping" trick COULD work if a cop searches your bag and finds your 7" kabar that you felt you couldn't leave home without, but if they decide to be a dick and make you prove it, you are probably fucked.

If you are planning to do touristy stuff though, check the regulations at your destinations. For example, if you want to take the ferry to Liberty and Ellis island, the security getting on the ferry is close to airport security (xrays, bag checks, pat downs) and they don't allow knives of any kind.

As for getting around, especially doing touristy stuff, don't drive. Parking and traffic around that stuff is a nightmare. Citibikes are easily available all over Manhattan, so that's an option. Cabs are super easy and convenient, but I wouldn't use them for going to and from tourist locations - or you might end up going for a bit longer of a drive and paying a bit more (taxi tourist tax haha).

Honestly, a lot of people are intimidated by the subway system but it's a lot easier than you would think to get the hang of...it's the easiest and fastest way for you to get around. Plenty of MTA employees to help you find your way and as long as you realize that Queens-bound/Uptown trains go north and Brookyln-bound/downtown trains go south, you can find your way pretty easily. If you have a smartphone, then use google maps and take all the guess work out of it.

Comment

• warehouseskate
              • Mar 2010

don't bother with bikes unless you are prepared to know the rules in and out or get harassed, detained and probably ticketed. cyclists in the city get more tickets than cars and NYPD is on a 'crack down' writing ridiculous offenses for shit like not wearing a helmet (not illegal in the city) riding the wrong way on a one way (even if it's for a few feet to get to a corner) and other absolutely mindbogglingly absurd things, ie, revenue collection. a woman just got a ticket for carrying a tote bag on her handlebars..no shit.

if you have a smartphone download MTA's transit app, it's free and you can dl the subway and whatever pertinent bus maps you want to your phone for zooming in on and looking at while underground.
              as acegoulet said, it's not that bad, especially if your staying on the island (manhattan)

the typical touristy shit is expensive and the lines are, as a general rule, very very long. avoid that stuff, in fact i would advise that you avoid midtown altogether. Check out greenwich village, SOHO, tribeca, the lower east side, etc and the surrounding areas below 14th st. take the train, or even a cab, to washington square park, walk over to broadway and walk south into SOHO. just ask someone who looks 'local' for directions, no shame in that.

enjoy your trip and take care of our city

oh and definitely leave the knife at home, you will have zero reason to have it on you in the city anyway and it's just a liability.

Comment

• Andy
                • Sep 2009

Where are you staying?

Comment

• brooklynchanged
                  • Oct 2013

Hey best mode of transport is by far subway with. A combination of cabs. Bikes won't be worth the headache of not being able to ride on sidewalks and locking them up every time you decide to stop. The knife law is ridiculous but if you want it for protecticon you wont need.
                  I haven't been in any threatening situations that I didn't put myself in for sometime.

Besides all that stuff if you need some info on places to eat cool sites all that stuff pm me
                  I can usually get people discount or nice reservations for that fancy stuff brothers a hotel front desk guy

Comment

• shvlpnchr79
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by loddytoddy
                    if you ride a bike around watch for them cabs.. they're a bitch..

I advocate riding a bike around. I did when I was there a few years ago.. brakeless BMX bike. just watch the damn cabs.
                    I almost got taken out by one on my way to the gypsy run last week. Keep your eyes open.

Comment

• Rubman
                      • Dec 2011

Subway. Hands down. Get yourself an app called "HopStop" and enjoy your weekend. Don't forget to thank me at the invitational with no less than a million beers.

Comment

• calicruiser
                        • Aug 2009

sweet! thanks so much for all the suggestions and advice. I really appreciate it!

Comment

• Beefdrippings
                          • Sep 2009

If you have an iPhone (maybe it works on android) you can download an offline subway map app called embark.I can't remember if you can get three day unlimited MTA passes or not but if you can I would do that. Trip Advisor also has offline city guides that are pretty handy.

Comment

• Andy
                            • Sep 2009

The unlimited metrocard is for 7 days.

Group together the touristy things by area. Map them out ahead of time and you'll be good to go. Definitely use the subway and walking.

Comment

• BeatnikJohn
                              • Apr 2024

Hey man, as I moved here from Orange County and things in the City are way different than SoCal or even Downtown LA so you're setting your old lady up for failure by trying to get her on a bike out here. As most people have suggested, take the subway unless your hotel offers parking and bring comfortable shoes to walk in. My old lady brought shoes she thought were "cute" and ended up with busted up feet from all the walking. Hope to meet you down there this weekend....you owe me some Baker's.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;