CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default HONDA SHADOW VLX 600 Rear fender question Chop

So I Just recently purchased a '93 Honda Shadow VLX 600 with the intention of Bobbing it out. I plan on doing all the work myself; I have good mechanic background with some skills in welding. Not much fabrication though. I am pretty astute and feel i can pick it up pretty quickly. My question is this... whats the best way to build/install a rear fender while maintaining the ability to support a passenger, I dont plan on carrying any but would like that option just in case. I have a fender already picked out, a 9" flat steel one. But Im open for suggestions. I have seen the bolt on kits from BCB and dont really want to go that route, or any bolt on route at all. Give me some input guys! I need your help!
    What do I need to do to brace the rear fender so it will still support a passenger?

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by dyceman218 View Post
    So I Just recently purchased a '93 Honda Shadow VLX 600 with the intention of Bobbing it out. I plan on doing all the work myself; I have good mechanic background with some skills in welding. Not much fabrication though. I am pretty astute and feel i can pick it up pretty quickly. My question is this... whats the best way to build/install a rear fender while maintaining the ability to support a passenger, I dont plan on carrying any but would like that option just in case. I have a fender already picked out, a 9" flat steel one. But Im open for suggestions. I have seen the bolt on kits from BCB and dont really want to go that route, or any bolt on route at all. Give me some input guys! I need your help!
    What do I need to do to brace the rear fender so it will still support a passenger?
    Bobbing usually doesn't involve a passenger. That plastic assembly/fender covers a lot of the bike. As soon as you pull that plastic off, you have lot of fab work in hiding electronics and making the fender work with suspension. Pull the stock fender and ask yourself if you want to do this on a vlx. I'm just trying to save you some heartache.

All that fab work will have to be done anyway. I am still going to bob out the bike.
    Like I said, I dont plan on having a Passenger, but you never know who you are going to pick up and who wants to go home with you . I just Want the option, I have seen other people make their fenders pasenger able, I mainly would like to know where they braced it against the frame/rear end

I think you could run a flat bar running under the fender. From the fender struts to where you are going to mount the fender to the swingarm. (one solution that we were thinking of, but decided to go another route) Are you going to hardtail it?

Quote Originally Posted by boneless View Post
    Are you going to hardtail it?
    No I wasnt, Honestly I hadnt really considered it...
    Any pics of yours?

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

I was going to find a steel fender and attach to the original fender support. I wanted to keep the suspension stock and just get rid of that annoying plastic fender. I ended up trading the bike. I'd say cut a proper sized fender using the plastic fender as a template, keeping as much of the stock fender subframe so you have a super strong rear fender. Checkout tj brutal customs in Huntington Beach, ca. He does a lot of cool stuff with shadows.

Yeah Ive been corresponding with him via email. Seems like my only option if I want to be able to support a passenger is to Hardtail it or use a strut
    Last edited by dyceman218; 09-09-2014 at 1:33 PM.

Share This