Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • demondog05
    • Jan 2014

New S&S 93 HC idle issues

I have a new S&S Shovel 93HC that is still in the break in stage with 250 miles. Since day 1 after install I have been having an issue keeping it at idle. It suddenly just stops after about 2 minutes running and it dies at stop lights unless I keep a little throttle in it. I can keep it from dying altogether if I raise the idle from the recommended 950 to 1050 to about 1200 rpm but thats just too high for normal operation in my opinion. Super E carb that came with it was shipped with .295 intermediate and .70 main. I am thinking its jetting related specifically the intermediate and that I should probably go to a .31 or .32. I located the S&S jetting guide and it recommends that for my size engine it should be at least a .31. I just wonder why S&S would ship a 93HC with jets that are too small. Unless its something else causing it to die like ignition or coil but I figure if it was that it would die while at speed.
    Has any one heard of this issue with a brand new engine right out of the box?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Joe
  • BuddhahoodVato
    • Apr 2010

Joe,
    the jetting an be the cause,
    but empirically speaking it takes a little bit to dial in a new moto.
    Good luck
    stay at it, you tossed some good coins at it already.

Comment

• farmall
      • Apr 2013

So swap jets. Carbs ain't fuel injection and don't come set perfectly for every altitude or other condition. Either a jetting change fixes it or doesn't.

I'd buy a few pair of new spark plugs for mixture checks too. What do yours look like? Pics would be useful.

Comment

• demondog05
        • Jan 2014

I looked at the plugs and its running just a bit lean. I am going to change out those jets and update on the results.

Thanks for the responses!

Comment

• Supertjeduc
          • Jan 2013

Think i had the 0,295 also ,,tried a bigger one , run worse but i had a small aircleaner
          And yes had the same problem at stop lights
          Think it was a super E thing
          I now have double mikuni and it idles fine

Comment

• Stlmikie
            • Jan 2013

Get it on a dyno if funds facilitate.

Comment

• BuddhahoodVato
              • Apr 2010

Nothing simple in your world, you jumped all the way to a dualie. Fabulous.

Comment

• demondog05
                • Jan 2014

Looks like the problem is related to the intermediate jet. I swapped to .031 intermediate and .072 main which is the low end as per the S&S guide. First thing I noticed is that my midrange power increased tremendously due to the .072 main increase and it pulls like gangbusters so now its running like I expected a 93HC shovelhead should. The idle has settled somewhat and it has not stopped yet but I am still messing with the idle speed so I am going to run it a few days and see how the plugs are looking. So far so good!
                I will keep you posted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0258.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	312.6 KB
ID:	1275542
                Last edited by demondog05; 08-31-2014, 12:10 PM.

Comment

• demondog05
                  • Jan 2014

Just a quick update. Seem that everything was a combo of jets and the fact that the new engine needed to break in. All good now with lots of power and excellent idle!
                  Thanks for all the advice!

Comment

• farmall
                    • Apr 2013

Thanks for the update.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                    Working...
                    ;