CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Start Engine on Test Stand- Ignition questions?

Hi all,
    I am a newbie to this forum and I love it!

I have recently purchased an '82 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim from a guy who tore it down to chop it and never put it back together. It was running before he tore it down and he had the engine rebuilt just before I purchased it. Therefore, it is not wired up to start. So I have all of the parts to put it back together but I am stuck at the moment. I have the engine mounted on a stand and I would like to get it running before I begin to put alot of time into this build. I want to make sure it runs before I begin cutting, chopping and customizing too much.

Currently, I have temporarily wired up the starter solenoid, starter and coils to the TCI Unit. I haven't wired in a switch or anything so I just use a screwdriver to short the starter solenoid and crank the motor. I am not getting a spark at any of the plugs and I have checked the resistance of the coils and they are in spec. I have been tweaking things to try and get a spark but with no luck.

So I am curious as to what I am missing? This is not a fully wired up and mounted engine and my question is:

What type of wiring setup do I need in order to get this engine started on a test stand?
    Do I need to connect all of the switches and relays the wiring diagram calls for or can I just bypass them?

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

do you have power at the coils and/or ignition while cranking?

Share This