Paint?? To rattle or not to rattle (can)

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nokturnas
    • Aug 2014

Paint?? To rattle or not to rattle (can)

Hey everybody!

My V-Star Custom 1100 bobber conversion will be finished in the next week or so. Next step is to figure out paint. It's my first bike so not looking for a high price option, but what are some of the products/processes that people use? When I first bought the bike a few months ago, I Plastidipped it (matte black) was ok at first, but the durability is a joke! The slightest rub of my shoe or whatever, and the stuff scratches or peels right off. I'd like to go Satin black this time around, so the plastidip is coming off thie weekend. I've heard about a tons of products, everything from Duplicolor to John Deere Blitz Black, anyone have any advice? Do I prime, do I scuff, do I rattle can? etc... **keep in mind I don't have a spray booth, or access to any gear. Can I really get a decent looking job regardless?

Thanks everyone! Cheers!
  • OleDirtyDoc
    • Jul 2013

Yes it's mostly in your prep.and degrease BEFORE you start to sand.get all the plastic dip offa what. yer painting and sand down to a smooth surface,then prime,unless ypu have any dents then ya gotta dp spme bodywork.you want as smooth a surface you can get while still being scuffed up.more will chime in on spraying tecnique.i know hoe to spray but can't put in down on keyboard.id have to show ya

Comment

• Nokturnas
      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by OleDirtyDoc
      Yes it's mostly in your prep.and degrease BEFORE you start to sand.get all the plastic dip offa what. yer painting and sand down to a smooth surface,then prime,unless ypu have any dents then ya gotta dp spme bodywork.you want as smooth a surface you can get while still being scuffed up.more will chime in on spraying tecnique.i know hoe to spray but can't put in down on keyboard.id have to show ya
      Awesome! Great plan! Here's the plan so far: 1) get some aircraft stripper to strip factory paint off tank
      2) remove whatever paint is left over / degrease
      3) have a slight dent on one side that needs filler/bondo
      4) fix dent/ sand it
      5) Prime with John Deere primer
      6) rattle can with John Deere Blitz Black

Does that make sense?

Comment

• oldstano
        • Mar 2012

I have found Dupli Color engine paints work well on chassis and other parts, not just engines Their newer engine paints are ceramic based, shiny or low gloss and cover very well with good durability.

Comment

• OleDirtyDoc
          • Jul 2013

X2 on the engine paints as they are also gas resistant .if i remember they also have clear coats in the engine paint line so i might test the compatibility with other bases under it.
          Last edited by OleDirtyDoc; 08-20-2014, 12:46 PM.

Comment

• Nokturnas
            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by oldstano
            I have found Dupli Color engine paints work well on chassis and other parts, not just engines Their newer engine paints are ceramic based, shiny or low gloss and cover very well with good durability.
            Thank you Oldstano! Appreciated! I too have heard good things about Dupli-Color over the last week or so during my research, and talking with others. Essentially I am looking to paint: My tank / rear fender / oil filter cover / air filter cover / battery cover / Headlight casing and several other small parts- - and ultimately powdercoat my ape hangers (for durability) - I have Plastidip on the parts now and it's a big mess! lol

Comment

• Nokturnas
              • Aug 2014

Originally posted by OleDirtyDoc
              X2 on the engine paints as they are also gas resistant .if i remember they also have clear coats in the engine paint line so i might test the compatibility with other bases under it.
              Good point, I messed up my plastidip on my tank the very first time I stopped for gas! lol

Comment

• oldstano
                • Mar 2012

Click image for larger version

Name:	frame mockup.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	331.0 KB
ID:	1275327Click image for larger version

Name:	girder front end.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	333.6 KB
ID:	1275328
                The frame is painted with Dupli-Color Metalcast Groundcoat and Red Anodized topped with NAPA auto Acme brand clear.
                The girder is Dupli-Color aluminum engine enamel ceramic.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                Working...
                ;