Turbo diesel harley, was it a good idea?

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • klondikekid64
    • Nov 2013

Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0715.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	1281215 perfect, just what I need.

Comment

• finmad
      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Dethmachinefab
      Very cool. I'm glad to see more diesel bikes on the road! I've got a few more builds going at the moment. Better and faster. When your ready you can send me the old flywheel and I can machine the aluminum one and mount the primary pulley.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbl5sJwYAG4

Super psyched to see you here. I just got my shipment from BDL as well. Tell me what the advantages are for the aluminum flywheel? Do you do it to make mounting the front pulley easier, or is it also beneficial to have it be lighter?
      Click image for larger version

Name:	BDL.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	1281243

Comment

• Dethmachinefab
        • Mar 2015

I do it for quicker rpm gain and I would not want to imagine a cast 39lb flywheel exploding at 6000rpm. It is easier to mount the pulley as well. If you have drilled into it to mount the pulley be careful, an amazing amount of force is stored in that flywheel.

Comment

• finmad
          • Mar 2015

I haven't drilled into it. I was going to have a coupler made at a machine shop, and just use longer fly wheel bolts. but if the aluminum flywheel is in my future, maybe I should just do both together with you. I will pm you my email address and we can work something out?

Comment

• klondikekid64
            • Nov 2013

Very cool. I'm glad to see more diesel bikes on the road! I've got a few more builds going at the moment. Better and faster. When your ready you can send me the old flywheel and I can machine the aluminum one and mount the primary pulley.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbl5sJwYAG4
            A couple questions about diesel performance, if you don't mind ..what would you suggest be a good setting for pump timing on my stock D950 Kubota? I took out one shim already, and from what I read this is 2deg. advance. is this good? Also you asked me before, how the GT15 turbo worked for me, I haven't been able to put the bike the the full test yet, I'm still finishing the paper work, do you think the GT15 is too big for my stock engine? It's hard to find info on performance diesel stuff so I'm very interested in what you think, thanks again.

Comment

• Dethmachinefab
              • Mar 2015

If your stock I would Keep timing the same as it was. If you will be turning more Rpms it will be needed. Sorry to say it is likely too big. A gt1241 would be a better choice. A gt15 will surge on that engine stock. Avoid chinese clone turbos, they could be free and I would not use them.

Comment

• klondikekid64
                • Nov 2013

If your stock I would Keep timing the same as it was. If you will be turning more Rpms it will be needed. Sorry to say it is likely too big. A gt1241 would be a better choice. A gt15 will surge on that engine stock. Avoid chinese clone turbos, they could be free and I would not use them.
                Thanks for the info, good to hear it from someone in the know...one more quick question...to get more revs, does that involve governor springs, or rack travel? or?

Comment

• Dethmachinefab
                  • Mar 2015

They all work together to reach and maintain a certain rpm. If you only want to gain a little you can back the screws out on the throttle arm. With no other mods this should be as far as you should go. You should increase the max fuel adjustment because you now have more air available to burn more fuel. With valve train mods you can get into gov weights, springs, and rack travel adjustments to gain much more rpm. Always make sure you can cut airflow to the engine when working with the pump and gov.

Comment

• finmad
                    • Mar 2015

Klondike, maybe we have a chance to horse trade?

Deth, will the GT15 work on my 1105T? I have the stock Kubota turbo that might fit Klondike's 950 better??

Klondike, If the GT15 will work on my 1105T better and the stock Kubota on your 950, I would be willing to trade and if your 15 is worth more, throw in some $$$

Comment

• klondikekid64
                      • Nov 2013

I'm open to trading if that would work for you, I've already started looking around for something smaller, mine isn't a Garrett mind you, I got it off e bay from a guy who didn't use it, I only have used it running in the shop, I don't see a brand name on it, if you interested I'll post some close up pics of the stamped #'s on the pad, if things work out where we are both happy I don't need $. dethmachinefab sure has helped me a lot, there's lots of opinions and guesses on the web, just nice to get some solid info. do you have #'s on that turbo or know the size? I suppose it's stock so I can look it up too.

Comment

• finmad
                        • Mar 2015

If Sam, says the 15 is good for my motor, I am open to it too. Sam seems to be the go to guy for advice since he seems to be the only one who has done it. I have gotten more advice and feedback from a million people who have never turbo charged these motors before. worthless, imo. Love the feed back and opinions, just as long as they know they are talking out of their butt... If you say something like it is fact, you better have done it before.

Comment

• klondikekid64
                          • Nov 2013

I'm in..I'll just make sure your turbo is the right size for me, it would be nice if this could work out, turbos get pricey and this would make make us both happy if all goes well. I'll watch for feed back. Thanks.

Comment

• Dethmachinefab
                            • Mar 2015

A gt15 may work on the 1105 but is still on the big side without engine work. My personal experience with a clone gt15 was terrible. Chinese clone gt15 made 5psi manifold pressure, and leaked oil. I replaced it with a genuine Garrett gt15 and it made 15psi. That was on my very first bike, I think it was around 800cc and the gt15 surged badly. A gt12 will work with both the 950 and 1105 engines. The turbo off the 1105t is a td02 I believe. I have to check to be sure, I have one here. The td02 would be much better on the 950 instead of the gt15 clone but I would not put the gt15 clone on the 1105.

Comment

• finmad
                              • Mar 2015

Thanks Sam, Klondike, I am going to mock up with this Kubota turbo and if I need more power I will go with a 1241. Wish that would have worked out.

Comment

• finmad
                                • Mar 2015

Sam it is a TD025m-05T good for up to 45hp. But they make a compressor wheel for the -05C that brings it up to 75hp. That is plenty for me. Have you ever swapped compressor wheels in a TD025?
                                Last edited by finmad; 04-05-2015, 4:28 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;