Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonSusman
    • Jan 2014

800 Vulcan Classic Mechanical Problem

I have a 95 Vulcan 800 Classic, It does this thing where, it just doesn't go, It starts up and idles fine, but as soon as I give gas and release the clutch it lurches forward and then just loses power and stalls out. I replaced the friction plates and the pull rod but no luck, I am thinking now that it might my carbs, I figured I would see if anyone else has had this problem before I pull everything apart again, only to find its still all bunged up.
  • Jetblack
    • Apr 2024

I'm assuming you're slowly releasing the clutch lever... had to ask some people that haven't ever ridden have that issue.

Make sure your clutch cable is adjusted as specified in the shop manual for free play. Sometimes this occurs from removing the stock airbox and not sealing a vacuum port(s) which keeps the slide(s) from lifting properly or the new pod blocking off the rear carb ports, it can also occur from having the idle set too low.

Comment

• CM
      • Nov 2010

The kickstand has a kill switch that could be causing this problem.

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

You can check your clutch without the engine running. Put bike in gear, pull in clutch lever, bike should push easily. As you slowly release the clutch it will get harder to push.

Has the bike been sitting? We need history to help.

I jumper all kickstand and clutch lever "safety" switches on any bike I own.

Comment

• DeadSeaGulls
          • Jun 2014

Originally posted by CM
          The kickstand has a kill switch that could be causing this problem.
          yeah, I have an 800a sitting in my garage. that kickstand switch needed to be cleaned every now and then to prevent it from sticking.

Comment

• DeadSeaGulls
            • Jun 2014

if not the kickstand kills switch, might be flooding.
            do ya smell gas?
            takes 5 minutes to get that carb off, and another 5 to pull out the float and needle and clean everything good. (highly recommend an inline filter purchased from o'reily auto parts for a few bucks).

Is it dying when you're shifting into first? be sure to check that killswitch.
            those vulcan engines are pretty much bulletproof apart from the front cam not getting enough oil on many of them. Manifests itself as a gallop in the firing of the cylinders every 15-20,000 miles if you aren't on point with your oil changes and keeping it topped off. easy fix though. don't need to pull the engine if you are careful.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;