CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default picked up a project....all new stuff to me..lots of questions!

I picked up a kraft tech rigid frame project...it has a s s 111" engine and a ultima 6 speed tranny..
    as of now it doesn't have a primary...going to get the ultima 3.35" open belt kit. does the kit contain everything I need, if I just have the tranny and engine as in the pics? like a clutch?

also..is this the stator kit I would need?
    FOR HARLEY S&S EVO SHOVEL HEAD 70-99 MOTOR 32 AMP H/D ALTERNATOR CHARGING KIT

and I have a old sportster tank with flat mounts on it that has some custom painting that I plan on using....will this jp kit let me use that tank with the mounting holes in the pic I attached?
    Flatside Gas Tank Mounting Kit | 7200550 | J&P Cycles

in the one pic u can see the neck bearing, is there supposed to be a cover over it?

and should I pickup a side or top mount starter?

lastly, for now, the kickstand is mounted, but its floppy and seems to be missing something inside, can u buy individual parts? or do I have to buy a whole new kickstand?

im gonna have a lot more questions.......im probably keep this thread going as I build. thanks guys.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bobber2.jpg   bobber1.jpg   bobber3.jpg   bobber4.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Nice looking start, gonna be cool.

The stator should work, the Flatside gas tank mounts are for the two separate mounted tanks.(Right side-Left side) Your Sporty tank should be adaptable to the mounting holes on the frame backbone fairly easily. Yes, there should be a dust cover over the neck bearings. Is there a spring on the kickstand?

Get Adobe Flash player

no spring....but there is only one hole on the stand itself for a spring........not sure where the other side goes. what about the starter? side post?

Get Adobe Flash player

No idea...

Get Adobe Flash player

with my bad eyes it looks like your missing this on your jiffy stand. http://www.retrocycle.com/VTwinParts...RING_CLIP.html
    one end of the spring hooks there. with that billet looking stuff on there this might work but this is whats missing.

Get Adobe Flash player

Right now you have the components on the bike for a stock style enclose primary. If you go with the ultima belt drive it will come with the clutch and all of the components for the primary drive. This will not include the chagrin system. Your bike is basically a softail style bike. So your components will need to be styled for a softail. Pick up a stator, rotor, and voltage regulator for a 86-99 softail and you will have a chagrin system. I can't see the picture clearly of your kickstand to advise on that. As far as tank mounts go you have a custom frame. And depending on the sportster tank you choose you may have to make custom mounts for it as years of sportster tanks differ in mounts

Get Adobe Flash player

Any information on that ignition coil mount? I love it.

Get Adobe Flash player

I've built a couple of those using similar components. Suggestion on the primary, go enclosed belt or get the 2" setup. It's plenty strong enough and you won't whack the bearing support or clutch basket on the ground when you make left turns. Also easier if you have short legs. As far as the 111" motor is concerned, you'll have way more power than you'll ever need, but it's gonna vibrate like a mother fucker in that frame. Red loctite and nylock nuts required everywhere. Brand??
    Personally, I'd trade the motor for a stock evo 80" but that just me.
    As far as mounting the gas tank, your frame appears to have stock sportster gas tank mounts in it already so no need for a kit, just a couple long bolts and the late style sportster gas tank grommets.
    Either type starter will work but there may be a clearance issue with the top post starter and the oil tank so I recommend going side post. BTW, get a big starter, over 2KW to crank that motor, (consider a set of electronic compression releases).
    That frame was built to use all pre-1999 stock Evolution Softail components. Get a factory service manual and parts book from 1991 to 1998 and you'll have all the instructions and information you'll need.
    Have fun.

Get Adobe Flash player

sweet...thanks guys.....lots of good info...its a s&s motor.............I have no idea about the coil mount, sorry. believe it or not I have quite a few bikes, one is a softail with the 80" but I really don't want to swap it out.
    also I have the enclosed primary case but I want to go with an open primary....I just threw those parts on there as not to loose them! lol....the sportster tank that im gonna use has flat top mounts....its got some retro 70's dragon paint job on it that I wanna rock! ok on the charging system too....thanks guys...

Get Adobe Flash player

got a new question......if I score a title and Harley frame neck...can I grind off the number that came off the frame and stamp it with the title vin? or just run the number on it and hold onto the neck for safe keeping? whats the protocol with that!

Get Adobe Flash player

Hit up your local DMV for this one. They'll give you the run around and pass you off on to other departments. Just stick with it and get the info from the horses mouth. Everywhere is different. Some places just tell you to go ahead and stamp the new neck and save the old one. Other places want to stamp it themselves etc. I've even had a few situations where it was such a pain in the ass to get a strait answer, it was easier to just stamp it and pray the titling agency worker didn't know what the hell they were doing. Usually not a bad gamble, I mean how many people are building motorcycles in there garage in your county anyways? But do make an honest effort to keep it legit as it can save you save so much hassle down the line. If not you won't be the first guy building death traps in his garage to pull a fast one on the old titling department.

Get Adobe Flash player

well....I found a way to do it....not cheap, but I am going to have a title with the correct numbers. figured id spend the little extra and get it done right...this bike will be passed on to my boy in 9 years! lol...if anyone needs a connection on getting something titled, shoot me a PM...ill forward u the contact info

Get Adobe Flash player

Need alittle help with the color scheme. The engine and springer is flat black and the gas tank is gloss. What's a good way to go with oil tank, frame, and rear fender to make it work right? And look normal. I suppose I could have the front end redone in gloss but I'm kinda stuck with the engine flat black. And ideas and some pics for reference

Share This