My Kobayashi Maru Build (My Impossible Test Build)

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • surfbum
    • Aug 2011

hell probably look under the tank

Comment

• blsm
      • Oct 2010

Originally posted by siamesegun
      Question, how will you be able to see the road?!
      It's not about seeing, but being seen

Comment

• Jasonisdico
        • May 2010

Definitely not my style, but it's not my bike.

Have you check movement on the rear end with you sitting on it yet? Remember, that if the shock is not inline with the top mount(where you originally had it), then the swingarm is going to act like a lever against the shock. So all of the sudden a 600lb rated shock, will only do 200lbs of work. I did something very similar and ended up not being able to find a shock that was stiff enough with the swingarm using it's leverage. I had to move my mounts back of the top and make it work.

Comment

• 53Bash
          • Jan 2013

Shock looks pretty good to me- it seems in a pretty straight path with the motion of the lower mount. My bigger concern would be those crazy long frame tubes and fork. If you plan on using that front brake, the longer fork is essentially a longer lever trying to tear your headset off ans stuff the front wheel into your engine when you go to stop. Any plans for gussets at the neck? Even with gussets, are those tubes heavy enough for the increased stress? If they are, what about the stock frame tubes they join to? TBH, I have no way of knowing what metal dims are thick enough for a given design, but my gut tells me that one pushes it... which is cool, because you usually can't do anything to outside the norm without pushing the limits.
          Last edited by 53Bash; 07-25-2014, 11:44 AM.

Comment

• isabucket
            • Nov 2013

Originally posted by blsm
            It's not about seeing, but being seen
            Being able to see is overrated!

As far as the down tubes go... I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried about them, but this is the internet and truth is only as true as your imagination. I will be watching the tubing closely. If you look up I have gussets created already, waiting on some other fabrication before attaching them. That won't happen for awhile since the truck clutch is kicking my butt.

Comment

• isabucket
              • Nov 2013

Removed content to keep thread pure. I do hope I can see over the tank though.
              Last edited by isabucket; 11-24-2014, 7:37 PM.

Comment

• iHaQtiv8
                • Jun 2014

That view is just begging for a fork-mounted anti-aircraft peep sight.

Comment

• BrokenFang
                  • Apr 2011

its fellas like you and the busted rubber build that keep me going. the mess in your shop aint nuthing i work in a dirt floor barn with a pretty good scrap yard of parts laying around.im glad im not alone in wanting to butcher a goldwing ill be looking for that one after you finish this beast. my little xs is over at the xs400 forum. have a nice day.

Comment

• isabucket
                    • Nov 2013

Got the the truck and car fixed so I could get back to my build. Then Friday some a-hole backed into my daily rider, damage could have been worse.

Finished the front fender, I love it on the bike!

Sanded

Mounted sort of

Put a rubber hose on the back wheel

And Blam! Fender, still need to cut the end and mount it. I am happy with the results. If this wasn't the MyKobayashMaru build I would just purchase the fender. Metal shaping is hard.

Tacked up the gussets I made earlier

More to come later
                    Last edited by isabucket; 10-12-2014, 10:07 PM.

Comment

• isabucket
                      • Nov 2013

A bunch of goodies came in the mail!

The risers were for a regular Harley setup so I had to modify them. I drilled out the middle and then drilld drilled a bigger hole for the screw head to go in flush. If you look closely you can see the bolt in the one riser. Fits perfect.

Can't decide on either side panels or fake oil tank. I didn't like the look of the side panels at first but they are growing on me. While it was growing on me I found two stainless steel containers at a discount store going to weld them up and see how they look. The one down side is that part of the mono shock will be visible. Opinions welcome

Next things to work on, brake stay, gas tank, front brake, handle bars, seat, lighting, wiring, license plate, engine... still a bunch to do
                      Last edited by isabucket; 11-23-2014, 12:36 PM.

Comment

• isabucket
                        • Nov 2013

Mostly finished the fender and mounted it up, it doesn't look so nice now but it will finish nicely. Added a flare to the end, it just feels and looks right to me.

I got my brake stay in place...

but I ran into a problem The gap between the pads and the rotor is too much. So I decided to purchase a Harley caliper and it is perfect, except it is a right side caliper and I needed a left side caliper.

Anyone know if I can flip the wheel and have the rotor on the right? I will of course flip the direction of the wheel. Does it mater if I flip if around? I want to make sure what I do is not going to cause braking failures and maybe death.

Comment

• spidr
                          • Mar 2010

Spokes dont care, they're not directional. And the caliper grooves are there for looks more than gas evacuation on 99% of vehicles. Flip it around, it will be fine.

Comment

• isabucket
                            • Nov 2013

I got the mounts and supports made and welded on to the frame and rear fender. Added a flare to the end fender to give it some... flare. The fender still needs to be smoothed out but I like how it turned out.

I made the bungs from the scraps I had left over from making the pipe bender.

Next I took the stainless steel canisters I found for the fake oil tank and made a paper template for fitting them to the frame.

I then cut them to size using the paper template. I also used the template to cut the cutouts for the shock. The process took a long time and patience and then finally I finished it.

Then I made some bungs the same way I did for the fender. Attached four of them, two for each side of the fake tank. I then added some mild steel tabs to mount the tank to the bungs.

Had an, "oh piss" I might have to redo the the fake tank moment. I wasn't sure if the bungs and the tabs would interfere with the pod filters. I can't redo the tabs because it would ruin the tank since it is stainless and mild steel welded together. So, i put the engine back in to check clearances and...

Perfect!

Mounted the risers and bars I purchased. I ordered different bars, but I put these on to see how they looked and really dug it. I was liking how everything was looking so I hopped on to see how it fits me...

And it fits like a dream

That's all the updates for now. I hopefully will finish up a few other parts I am working on over the Thanksgiving break.

Comment

• deathmetaldan
                              • Jan 2011

the pictures of it just sitting on the bench (to me) made it look absolutely absurd and dumb. Seeing you sit on it makes it more in proportion and looks sooo much better. Good work!

Comment

• kacivic
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by deathmetaldan
                                the pictures of it just sitting on the bench (to me) made it look absolutely absurd and dumb. Seeing you sit on it makes it more in proportion and looks sooo much better. Good work!
                                I too was having a hard time imagining the bike proportions relative to a person. Dig the way it looks with the high neck and lower rake. Can't wait to see how you finish it up.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;