1983 Honda CB750SC Nighthawk Hardtail Build AKA- Project Tetnaus Shot (Pic Heavy)

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nicklepage1010
    • Jun 2013

1983 Honda CB750SC Nighthawk Hardtail Build AKA- Project Tetnaus Shot (Pic Heavy)

So the other day I get a phone call from a friend of mine who said he has a nighthawk sitting in his shed, and that he needed it gone. So without hesitation I went and picked this up. The tires were flat, the entire thing had been spraycanned (Very carelessly) flat black and to top it all off the gas tank has so much rust in it that its started to scale up. I knew before picking the bike up that it didn't run, and was probably pretty far from being in such condition. But I wanted a bike I could pick away at over the fall and winter months and have a cool bobber style bike for the summer. Winters suck here in Maine when youre not on your snowmobile, so here we go

The day I picked it up

Pulled into the garage for a tear down

After Bashing my shin off the pop up stand, I took it off first out of spite

Next was this nasty seat, with all of its Mold, Rust, And potential Hep A.

And then the tailpiece, which pretty much just fell off by itself anyway.

And the inner fender

Kinda looks like its not wearing pants

So I took the tank off, and the inside was so rusty I don't even consider it worth fixing, probably going to heave it.

Looks like someone already made a tank lift...maybe that's why the bars hit the tank when youre trying to turn them?

Carbs all yanked out

sweeeeet :|

And then I figured id get rid of the battery box, since it was about to fall out anyway

It was at this point I realized how truly gross this thing was, so I brought it outside and pressurewashed the piss out of it.

Took a sledgehammer to the turn signals

That's all I have time for today. Ill probably order a carb rebuild kit this week, along with new jets. Ill keep posting here till im done with it, seems like a pretty cool site.
    Last edited by Nicklepage1010; 07-21-2014, 7:53 PM.
  • siamesegun
    • Sep 2012

Looks good so far! Can't wait to see what you do with it. And pic heavy is the way all threads should be.

Comment

• Nicklepage1010
      • Jun 2013

Got the carbs torn apart and semi cleaned up yesterday, pics to come as soon as I get home to it

Comment

• Nicklepage1010
        • Jun 2013

Pulled the carbs apart, and they werent at bad as i thought they were going to be.
        I know i need a new accelerator valve, theres nothing wrong with the one in there, but it wont hurt to replace it.

this air cutoff valve isnt even the worst :|

another one

underneath

So im ordering the gasket kit, Float bowl screws (Tips were really corroded), Air cutoff valves, and the accelerator valves for Randakk, a great site if youre looking for DOHC 4 Honda parts.

Also, can someone explain to me the importance of this choke spring? its not even close to being strong enough to keep the shafts together

Onto asthetics!!

I absolutely hated how the gauges were set up. Easily the most 80s thing about it. so what im doing is pretty much the same thing that the Shadows have as far as the gauges go, but underneath im making a plate for the other indicators using 3mm LED lights and a sheet of brass.

Took the gauges apart, Labeled the lightbulbs according to their function, and made provisions to move the ignition key switch under the tank.

Looks like ill need a new H4 socket :|

Shaved down the original screw holes

decided to remove the bulky ass choke switch, and im going to put on a universal pull choke from like a dirt bike or something. so i shaved that part off

Painted it Wrinkle Black (A lot of pieces are going to be this paint)

mocked everything up

im not sure what to use to cover up the back side of the speedo gauge. I had the idea of cutting up a stainless steel drink shaker and using it as a cover, or even a 4wd Hub cover.

disassembled again. What a mess.

Decided to start stripping the VC for paint

And i had some help

Stripping the VC and the rest of this engine this week. Its all going to be winkle black with polished fin ends and stainless steel allen caps. Thinking about maybe doing a wrinkle red valve cover? like the JDM Honda car engines, just for kicks.
        Last edited by Nicklepage1010; 07-25-2014, 8:20 PM.

Comment

• ScarletSteven
          • Jul 2014

Love the idea of the wrinkle red valve cover. Just too many all blacked out engines out there for me, need to mix it up some.

Comment

• iHaQtiv8
            • Jun 2014

A fitting name for this project. I am known for working on some ass-nasty corroded found-in-the-middle-of-the-drainage-ditch shit, but this pile is itching to give some kind of infection. Subscribed.

Comment

• deathmetaldan
              • Jan 2011

to cover the back of the gauges, wrap it in foil, then wrap it in masking tape and make sure it is good and sealed up. Also make sure it is smoothed out and has no sharp corners. Then cover the back with a couple layers of fiber glass and resin and let it cure. Pull off the fiberglass piece, sand fill sand paint done.

attach it to the gauge with 2 sided tape or industrial velcro

Comment

• Nicklepage1010
                • Jun 2013

I don't want fiberglass on my bike at all, it's a good idea though.

Comment

• bobberShane69
                  • Aug 2013

Subscribed, definitely wanna see where this bike goes. I'm currently modifying my 1980 cb 650 bobber, probably gonna make a thread about that. Nice find man, great bike for a project

Comment

• Nicklepage1010
                    • Jun 2013

Made a cardboard template of how my indicator lights are going to be set up

and then i started ripping my front brakes apart (yes im keeping them on this bike)

pistons slide free despite the lines being dry as a nuns vagina

slides were fine, just cleaned them up with some steel wool and regreased them.

Pads dont look bad, but theyre being replaced anyway because theyre crusty

not sure what ill get to tomorrow. I really should finish stripping the engine.

I didnt even mention in this thread that i picked the bike up for 160 dollars lol

Comment

• deathmetaldan
                      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Nicklepage1010
                      I don't want fiberglass on my bike at all, it's a good idea though.
                      best get some hammer and sand/shot bags then.

Comment

• Nicklepage1010
                        • Jun 2013

I'll find some sort of cup to use, there are bolts on the bottom I can use as well. I just ordered the LEDs I need to build my indicator light plate. They were like 20 bucks from oznium.com for the 3mm lights and holders.
                        Now to find myself some brass

Comment

• Nicklepage1010
                          • Jun 2013

Got my valve cover stripped!

This shit is nasty, especially when it splatters on your arm

Bam mutha sucka!

Taking the engine out this weekend for a thorough cleaning, compression test, and a repaint.

Comment

• PPG9944
                            • Feb 2013

Hey man i think i saw a post of yours on facebook about this thing. Are you around the schaumburg area or am i going crazy?

Comment

• EVILBLACKSABRE
                              • Dec 2013

Cool build. I'm definitely interested.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;