Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CraiGORE
    • Jul 2011

HOW TO: Create a $5 "buzz box" for static timing

Ok so I mentioned something in the classifieds in response to someone asking to buy a morris buzz box and a bunch of people have PM’ed me so I figured I’d post pictures/schematics to easily build your own timing buzz box for next to nothing. Cobbled this thing together some time ago to time my volatile RD350 2-stroke and have used it on about 25 motorcycles since, from Hondas To Harleys and it works great with static timing as confirmed by a timing gun. This thing is 10x easier to use than a multimeter or light bulb, especially in the case that you’re by yourself cuz all your friends are out riding their evos..........Plus you save more than $100 by building your own tool that does the same exact job as the others save for the fact it's not as fancy.

Materials:
    2 wires - 16 gauge red & black wires that I had laying around (I suggest something on the larger side as these are getting DC from the battery)
    -2 aligator clips
    -12v buzzer from RadioShack PN #2730794 (Works with 6v systems as well)
    -Something to contain the guts. I use an Altoids tin because it is roomy enough to store my feeler gauge as well
    -Wire nuts (if you’re lazy like me)
    -Solder & glue

Total cost: $5

Directions:
    1) drill a hole in your box of choice, feed your wires through the box (Note: I suggest that you tie them together in a knot so that they can't be pulled through)
    2) solder or attach a wire nut from your red wire to the red wire on the buzzer
    3) solder or attach a wire nut from your black wire to the black wire on the buzzer
    4) glue the speaker to the inside of the box so that it's not all willy nilly
    5) attach an alligator clip to each end of your red/black wire leads

Timing:
    Once you've built the box,
    -Simply clip the red wire to a part of the breaker point that moves, such as the upper arm of the breaker point
    -Ground the other clip to the frame or engine case

First things first - SET YOUR POINT GAP ON BOTH LOBES! DON’T FORGET THIS IMPORTANT STEP.
    -Turn the engine over by whatever means necessary and find the appropriate timing mark
    -Turn your ignition ON
    -Loosen the points plate bolts slightly and swivel in either direction to retard/advance your timing
    -When the points open/just start to open, the unit will go “EHHHHHH!”; it is at this point that your spark plug would fire and this annoying noise confirms that the points have opened
    -Turn your engine over and check again. Button everything up and check a 3rd time or 4th depending how anal you are… Sometimes this takes several tries

By now the sound of the buzzer will have driven you mad so go enjoy a beer or two and pat yourself on the back for a job well done

NOTE: JUST A TRICK I'VE LEARNED FOR ADVANCE TIMING Harleys - or basically anything with a mechanical advance mechanism:
    -I will take the point plate/cam bolt off and manually advance the weights by moving the cam by hand and then sticking a little piece of match book in there so that weights/arms are forced “fully advanced” and springs are stretched and don’t move.
    -Slap it back together, and then time it as stated above with the buzzer to the advanced mark on the flywheel (for my shovelhead it's a vertical line "|"). Note that I’ve read somewhere that you can drill a hole in your plate and advance the weights with a screw driver, but this method has worked for me).
    -Once timed, you of course mark the position of the plate and (in my case) the cone with a sharp blade or marker in 2 spots so that when you disassemble it again to remove the match book, you know where you should be when you re-assemble everything.

I was amazed as to how dead on this method has been in the literal 100 times I’ve used it as confirmed by a timing gun.
    Follow these instructions and you should be timed correctly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7186.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	293.3 KB
ID:	1335937Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7187.jpg
Size:	291.5 KB
ID:	1335938Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7188.jpg
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	1335939
    Pictures aren't the best but what more do you want to see?
    Last edited by CraiGORE; 07-14-2014, 10:01 PM.
  • BuddhahoodVato
    • Apr 2010

Real kewl, I like this.
    Nice to know when I am fucking with these old sleds.
    Gracias

Comment

• CraiGORE
      • Jul 2011

no prob I actually enjoy the process I think I might make a tutorial video

Comment

• rebel
        • May 2010

thanks for the how to , the video would be very helpful to

Comment

• davidabl
          • Nov 2009

I remember doing it with a zig-zag paper, "back in the day"
          A second reason that old-timers kept them handy:-)

Comment

• Robicycle
            • Jan 2013

If you get a lower voltage buzzer you can add a battery to the circuit yourself. Maybe a 9V buzzer.....
            add a 9Volt clip and a battery and your good. If you are using this on old sporty for magneto like I have there is no battery.
            thanx for the info

Comment

• CraiGORE
              • Jul 2011

good point, my xl350 was the same way

Comment

• farmall
                • Apr 2013

Got one of these off Ebay. Buzzes and lights up, no case needed. Will work off a 9V battery too. Not bad for $2.19.

I'm gonna use it for troubleshooting wiring problems as well as timing.

Comment

• CraiGORE
                  • Jul 2011

farmall just seeing your post now. can't beat that for 2.19 holy shit!

Comment

• BadMonkeyMW
                    • Jul 2010

Making your own specialty tools is always better than just buying them. Nice rig, I'm going to make one for myself.

Comment

• olddog1
                      • Feb 2015

I'll figure a way to make it myself, before I buy from Frickin China...
                      Attached Files

Comment

• farmall
                        • Apr 2013

Most of your computer and phone was made in China.

Be happy they are poisoning their environment instead of our while their cheap gear we couldn't afford if we made it effectively heightens our standard of living. We have either the highest or second-highest GDP in the world, they get the shit jobs.

Comment

• panama
                          • Apr 2014

Sorry to revive an old thread but does anyone know if this little thing could be used to time a magneto? I would rather not fork out for a morris timer. Cheers

Comment

• farmall
                            • Apr 2013

Buzz boxes for magneto testing are NOT continuity testers which happen to use a buzzer Retired aircraft mech here. They work like this. Parts list and schematic included if you want to assemble one inexpensively:

Comment

• panama
                              • Apr 2014

Thanks for the prompt reply. I'll take a look. Cheers

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;