X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MisterFul
    • Aug 2010

Super E carb issue

HI all.
    trying to tune a Super E carb correctly. Its on my ´77 Superglide.
    the carb works fine and we got the tuning pretty good so far. One issue though...
    when engine is revved and I let go of the throttle, the bike RPM lowers but then it stop at an RPM somwehat over idle... then it stays there for a while and THEN the RPM goes down to idle??
    Any ideas on this? air coming in from somwhere? too big jets? too small jets? any ideas appreciated.
  • Shacknasty
    • Jul 2010

Hanging idle can be an indicator of an intake leak. Some folks use the carb cleaner/propane method but the best way is a block off plate. Remove the carb, bolt on a plate (I used a piece of a plastic cutting board) with an air fitting, pressurize 5 to 10 psi and spray with soapy water. Sometimes it's as little as tightening or loosening the clamps a lil'. Other times ya hafta replace o-rings or bands. Hell, sometimes the heads and barrels need to be loosened and the intake spigots clocked to the intake manifold.

It could also be a sticking or broken mechanical advance.

Comment

• MisterFul
      • Aug 2010

thanks. yeah i tried aprying around the intakes but got no rushing RPM from it tho... ill look into the advance as well. thanks!

Comment

• nuklhd
        • Sep 2013

misterful, like shacknasty says the best and proper way to check for leaks is how he said to do it. where are you located? you can borrow my tester if need be. i have plates for linkerts and sns e carb.

Comment

• MisterFul
          • Aug 2010

thanks guys.
          it turned out to be a case of really worn flyweights behind the ignition.... bought new rivera ones. solved the issue!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
          Working...
          ;