CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Triumph Wiring, Dual Coil Points

First time wiring a bike from the ground up and I am a little intimidated. Its a 73 Triumph 750 Tiger, running dual coils and points. Not a single on the wire on the bike right now, and this is one of the last things on the last. (been putting it off) I have searched for hours and that just made everything worse. I need a real bare bones, simple diagram/explanation of how to wire this thing. No signals, just brake light and headlight. Anything is very much appreciated!

Cheers

I know you're running dual coils and the points diagram here is for a single coil, but this should give you an idea of where to go.

http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/page-v...ring_diagrams/

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Or this one. This is how mine is setup but with dual coils. You connect the coils together which functions as a single 12v coil.

http://raskcycle.com/techtip/webdoc16b.html

Stupid question, whats this tympanium unit that is in the diagram on rask cycles. And I only see diagrams for running a boyer, is the wiring the same for points?

Get Adobe Flash player

Tympanium is a voltage regulator since that diagram is for electronic ignition. I failed to ask if your wiring is points or EI, which is my setup. Not too familiar with points unfortunately. I'm sure someone will chime in though.

I picked up a harley dual lead accel coil today, easier to mount and more reliable than my old lucas 6v coils. I really need a diagram, still running points and this dual lead coil. Also, what output battery will I need to buy? I have a small scooter battery with about 80 CA, will that work or do I need something bigger?

SamHain

I don't know anything about batteries, but this seems to be what you're looking for, less the horn.

http://raskcycle.com/techtip/webdoc16.html

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails diag2.jpg  
    Last edited by SamHain; 06-19-2014 at 11:40 PM.

Maybe this might help,if you read the whole page.http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showth...ighlight=dwell
    The original coils on a '73 would be 12V.They are as reliable as tomorrow,and I'd expect them to last 100 years.If the bike is still positive ground,as God intended,you connect one set of points and one condensor to the positive terminal of each coil.The negative coil terminals connect to the ignition switch.

Joining 2 points wires together and connecting to one dual-lead coil,or 2 x 6V coils in series,is much less reliable.

Get Adobe Flash player

I just got done doing mine (71), so it's fresh in my mind. The ignition wiring is easy once you have a diagram and figure out how to read it. Here's a pic of the diagram I went off of: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1972 T120 wiring diagram.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	51297
    Last edited by racer32; 09-05-2014 at 9:23 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

This is what I ended up with: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5039.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	277.6 KB 
ID:	51298

Tympanium unit is the silver box with wires coming out.

Share This