CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default 96 Sportster Build

I have just started this project. I have owned the bike for about 10 years. I am switching the belt drive over to a chain drive. I would like to keep the gear ratio close to what it was with the belt. Anyone have a conversion formula to tell what size sprocket I need?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	217.9 KB 
ID:	48699

I was in the same boat when I did my conversion, wanted the same ratio or as close as I could get to stock belt.

I went to this site (http://www.gearingcommander.com/) which is a really nice calculator, just load up your current sprocket tooth sizes and then I fooled around with random sizes until I got the size I wanted. I am pretty sure stock sizes were 27/61 for an 02 sportster, might be the same for a 96. I ended up getting a 20 tooth up front and a 45 tooth in the back, I am telling you, we are talking fart hair differences like 0.1 - 0.2 for most gears at a given RPM. I see a lot of people go with 21/48 and other combos that still offer a 0.5 - 1.5 deviation from stock which isn't bad. But if you want as close as you can get, that 20/45 combo is the bee's knees.

Then I headed over to PBI sprockets and the rest was history.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks for the info ...... I will be looking into the that this morning.

Get Adobe Flash player

This is my first bike build. Unfortunately I've managed to get a little side ways with an old friend that was helping me with some fabricating on the frame, more specifically with mounting the gas tank to the frame.

I have a factory sportster tank and the mounts do not line up with the Swedish style gussets on my rigid frame. I don't want to add some bulky mounts and take away from the beauty of the frame.

Anyone got any experience in this area.

I will post some pics as soon as I can.

Share This