Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brocrusher
    • Mar 2012

Bikes and Boots

So I am new to consistent riding (my bike is my sole mod of transpo) and I am noticing my left shoe is is practically destroyed and my right is just gnarly from being old and worn. Since i am now in need of new footwear for bike riding what do you guys recommend? In need of a cowboy boot or harness boot that will last and not easily wear down from shifting or hard living.
  • spidr
    • Mar 2010

I swear by surplus military boots. US or canadian, depending on where I get them, they're supportive, and last forever. I wear out the soles on them every two years or so, but the leathers going strong, and thats even with working in a fab shop and contiinually hitting them with a flapper disc while I'm standing on parts to clean them.

Comment

• DirtyFilthyCustoms
      • Jan 2014

I like Georgia work boots best but I just recently go some Therogoods.... Not to bad but Ill let you know more once there broken in.

Comment

• Spade115
        • May 2010

I picked up 3 pairs of Redwing boots at a thrift store for a buck a peice, and Competition riding boots at another one for 15 bucks (Olath Cowboy boots) And use sneakers,

I reccomend Redwings and military boots. If there is a Sears near you they have a "Diehard" Brand that if you save the receipt they will replace lifetime warranty if that helps man. (60-80)

Comment

• ChicagoRedux
          • Apr 2024

I have:

1. Double-H Engineer boots: about 10 years old and have held up well. The only problem is that I can't find them anymore so they may be discontinued.

2. Double-H Harness boots: good boots. My only complaint is that the boot shaft is small which is a pain, but nice boots overall. The black ones with the 12" shafts have steel toes, the brown ones do not and neither do the black ones with the 10" shaft.

3. Justin London calfskin: Western style. nice boots, leather soles.

4. Justin Marbled deer: Western style. nice boots, leather soles.

Because I work in a "business casual" environment I keep an old t-shirt in my desk and buff out the shifter scuffs from the double-h boots when I get to work. Because the Justins are leather soles, I use some things that look like 'Totes' that are specifically made for western style boots. They slip right on and cover the tops of the boots so there are no shifter scuffs and they give me a rubber sole so I don't fall on my ass at a stop light.

Comment

• Clockwork444
            • Dec 2013

red wings were good most are now made in china they are the same thing but i support US made brands so my next pair will be thorogood boots they make lots of shit for firemen and such i would definately try some of those but i have no personal experience

Comment

• krb
              • Jun 2013

My old job was business casual so I wore a pair of Double H harness boots. I've got about 2 years of wearing them to work 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year, plus wearing them riding on weekends about 9 months of the year when it wasn't too cold. They have held up great and I still wear them from time to time.

I started a new job and they don't care WTF I wear so I started looking for new boots. A couple weeks ago I bought a pair of 6" boots from Carolina Boots and they are fucking great. Good looking and incredibly comfortable from the first minute I pulled them on.

Comment

• Cincyboy
                • Jun 2013

I've been riding in Dr. Martens Cappers for over 3 years now and holding up great. They are the had built ones from England not the Chines mass produced crap Dr Martens.

Comment

• Tacitus
                  • Aug 2013

I wear cowboy boots when I ride. Hell I wear them all of the time. Mine are entirely unaffected by riding because my bikes have running boards with heel toe shifters. If I do build a bike with toe shift only I would get a pair of boots made of elephant skin. Those are thick and tough hides. I know for certain that Justin makes them and I have also seen them offered by other brands I imagine they would be easy to find. They should hold up well I would imagine.

Comment

• TwoLaneFever
                    • Apr 2024

you are shiften with the wrong foot! hahaha,,,,1 vote for" real" redwing engineer boots with steel toe, durable and protect your lower leg as well,steel toe is for stompin time

Comment

• SnakeArms
                      • Nov 2011

Thorogood 8" are the shit! Ive got two pairs, one for work (steel) and another for deez streetz. I spend 16hrs a day, 5 days a week on concrete, and their wedge sole is holding up after 4 months. The leather is supple and holds up well (no tears around the steel toe). Only problem with the wedge sole is is pretty soft, so stepping on a big chunk of hot slag will burn a hole. I fill em up with shoe-goo when that happens and keep rolling. At around $150 you can't beat em. They can be re-soled as well. Oh, they are union made in the good ol' USA as well.

Comment

• MadRiverMoCo
                        • Oct 2013

Originally posted by Clockwork444
                        red wings were good most are now made in china they are the same thing but i support US made brands so my next pair will be thorogood boots they make lots of shit for firemen and such i would definately try some of those but i have no personal experience
                        Um...

Red Wing makes a whole line of sourced from and made in America...

Know of what you speak before disparaging a great American company

Comment

• SnakeArms
                          • Nov 2011

Originally posted by MadRiverMoCo
                          Um...

Red Wing makes a whole line of sourced from and made in America...

Know of what you speak before disparaging a great American company
                          They may make a "line" of boots here.. But a lot are produced in China as well. Not to get into semantics, but a company can source leather from China and assemble here and its Made in the USA.

Comment

• MadRiverMoCo
                            • Oct 2013

Originally posted by SnakeArms
                            They may make a "line" of boots here.. But a lot are produced in China as well. Not to get into semantics, but a company can source leather from China and assemble here and its Made in the USA.
                            This isn't conjecture...

From Red Wings site

Comment

• Rubman
                              • Dec 2011

Ride barefoot. Definitely ride barefoot.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;