Looked at a used VLX and Virago this weekend (among others)

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JHK
    • Aug 2011

Looked at a used VLX and Virago this weekend (among others)

Hey guys,

I took a drive and checked out a few bikes this weekend, looking for a project that's not too much of a "project;" in other words, I'd like to get it road-ready in a month or so and I have a lot of time commitments. In the winter I can do a real overhaul.

The two that stuck with me were a 97 Honda VLX 600 that has not been ridden much in years (and not at all since winter). It has a freaky-low 4,400 miles on it. The other was an 85 Yamaha Virago that has 10,000 miles on it (also real low). It hasn't been driven much either, and not at all since the fall.

Surprise -- they both have gunked up carbs (but look pristine otherwise based on my limited examination; electronics seem good, etc.). The VLX owner said he thought the VLX leaked gas when he started it up for the first time this season. So he shut it down. We messed around with the throttle, petcock, etc., trying to replicate what he saw earlier (or thought he saw) and there was zero leak. We did everything but turn it upside down. So I don't know what that could have been. The Virago owner was POSITIVE that gas leaking in a carb as well, so he shut the engine down. I didn't really let the VLX idle and didn't start the Virago.

Both sellers seemed like solid guys and as legit as you could hope for. The carbs just go to shit when you let a bike sit, even if you try your best to store the bike right.

Initially I thought the VLX was a lock as my new roommate. I've played with the idea of getting one for a long time because of their chopping versatility. The Virago, though, I have NEVER considered before, but I have to say that in person it was a lot more impressive than I imagined and felt more substantial than the Honda. I feel like the Honda is pretty easy to find anytime I feel like one, while the Virago in this shape is a gem (unless the carbs on an 85 are a clusterfuck, then I'll hara-kiri myself 38 hours into the work). Both bikes are available for about $1,200 after price drops due to likely carb rebuilds, but I may have even more negotiation room on both. We'll see.

General thoughts?

*Virago experts: I thought the 85 only came in 700 in the US. The owner told me it was a 750. What's that all about?
    Last edited by JHK; 06-01-2014, 7:19 PM.
  • bparsel
    • Jul 2011

Ive owned both a VLX and a Virago 750..........go with the VLX, its not even a question.

Comment

• JHK
      • Aug 2011

@bparsel: thanks for the reply. That was my instinct. Can you elaborate any on your Virago 750 experience?

Comment

• Braaap
        • May 2013

vlx over virago all day. those yamahas are ugly as dogshit.

Comment

• bparsel
          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by JHK
          @bparsel: thanks for the reply. That was my instinct. Can you elaborate any on your Virago 750 experience?

Sure, granted I had an 81' - so the tins and rear shocks were a little different than the '85's I believe. Anyways, that virago always had issues with the electrical system, and the starter - the infamous walnuts in the starter. I spent more time wrenching or bump starting that bike than riding. Obviously some of the guys on here are doing some cool stuff with Virago's- I give them A LOT of credit, gs650's is sweet, and I think they lend themselves really well to the throwback cafe look. Overall though for any modding they are tough, the two major reasons are the engine being part of the frame, and the shaft drive.

The VLX was my wifes but I also found it comfortable to ride. It was dead reliable the whole time we had it and I think they make great looking little chops. We only got rid of it cause I knocked her up!
          Last edited by bparsel; 06-02-2014, 12:45 PM.

Comment

• JHK
            • Aug 2011

@bparsel: good info. electrical problems are the one thing that worries me over anything else. i think i would have to get it for sub-$1,000 and just accept the fact that it's a project.

@braaap: a little imagination would help with that. that's what i keep telling myself. i actually like the way the engine looks, though i'm sure i'm in the minority.

Comment

• deathmetaldan
              • Jan 2011

i would go with the vlx just for the ease of working with a more conventional frame, this is coming from a guy who has had 3 viragos. The starter and electrical stuff is a pretty simple fix these days and are pretty much exclusive to the 1st gen and the 1st year of the second gen (85)

Comment

• JHK
                • Aug 2011

@deathmetaldan: well, this one in question IS an 85. The seller told me that it ran like a raped ape, everything was money, including the electrical system, before he stored it in his garage without driving it for almost a year. Of course I believe everything a guy from Craigslist tells me. Regardless, he's probably a sincere guy, but that doesn't mean he knows his bike inside and out or that he's not forgetting something.

Smart $ would be the VLX, but that one has its own problems. I think I'll just buy a Mongoose.

Comment

• deathmetaldan
                  • Jan 2011

a compression tester wouldnt be a bad investment to take along.

harbor freight has one cheap, i never used this brand but it might work for what you need and its only 25 bucks

Amazing deals on this Quick-Connect Compression Tester at Harbor Freight. Quality tools & low prices.

Comment

• Coffins
                    • Mar 2014

I was going to caution against the Virago because of the starter, but if someone here knows better than me (likely) and says it can be fixed or worked around, all the better. As for the displacement, the simple answer is that it's really an '83, but it's also possible that it's a Canadian model. I've heard that some of the bikes that were modified to slip under the tariff were sold as originally designed in Canada.

Comment

• elduner
                      • Jun 2013

Honda VLX.. the dual carbs are pretty easy to take apart and clean out.. I had to do it mine when I bought it. The leaky gas can come from gummed up floats. Good luck!

Comment

• JHK
                        • Aug 2011

It's definitely been a VLX landslide. If I got the Virago for next to nothing as a second bike to mess with, sure, why not. But I'm bike-less right now and I need to be able to get it up and running. Thanks for all the great advice!

Comment

• davidabl
                          • Nov 2009

Depends on if you chop it or go with some sorta café thing…there's some astonishing Virago cafés out there on the net ( in places like Pipeburn and Bikeexif) but I don't recall seeing many or any(?) cool Virago chops.

Comment

• deathmetaldan
                            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by davidabl
                            Depends on if you chop it or go with some sorta café thing…there's some astonishing Virago cafés out there on the net ( in places like Pipeburn and Bikeexif) but I don't recall seeing many or any(?) cool Virago chops.

haha, then you need to look up the user "gs650" on here

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                            Working...
                            ;