CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... Last

Thread: 97 sporty chop

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default 97 sporty chop

I recently scored a 97 1200 sportster. pretty clean little bike, 16,000 miles, im the third owner.

shortly after getting the bike, i ordered the "deluxe sportster kit" from the Haifley Bros. i wasted no time having my buddy glue it to the frame so i could make it a roller.

i only received the frame and sissy bar in the first shipment from the Haifley Bros, and am currently waiting on my seat, fender and oil tank which should be here next week.

Get Adobe Flash player

i got the v-twin 21" spool in and swapped out the bearings from 5/8 to 3/4, and machined a new preload spacer. after i got the bearings/spacer in the wheel, i threw on the tire and then whipped up a couple tapered spacers on the lathe.

ive still got to polish them, but you get the idea.
    now that the bike is a roller, and the wheels are centered, i moved on to the other little tasks to keep me occupied as i waited for the rest of my parts. i then modified the top motor mount to accept the coil, as well as clear the not so wide tunnel of the tank.
    Last edited by andrewc; 05-24-2014 at 5:25 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

since the oil tank is a wrap-a-round job, im going to be mounting my fuse panel by the battery in the "interior" of the oil tank. this way i can run the headlight and ignition wires in the back bone/top tube and connect them right under the seat at the battery area. i drilled the frame for the headlight wires, and ran them back to the oil tank area.

i then made a bracket to hide the ignition switch and headlight switch.

threw some epoxy on it and put the switches in. everything fits great and is hidden nicely.

Get Adobe Flash player

the biggest headache ive had so far with this bike is the gas tank. i really like how it sits on the back bone and how close it is to the heads. but with looks came the nightmare of trying to get some sort of clean looking petcock or inline fuel valve between the bung on the bottom of the tank and the carbs fuel inlet. i have purchased 3 different petcocks/fuel valves and an amount of brass fittings to play with locations and orientations to see if i can make it work some how. i had it back in the box, ready to return, when i called a good buddy of mine to come take a look at it and see if he had any ideas. he came up with the best idea yet. i will run the 90* barb in the tank and run a piece of fuel line down to the inlet on the carb, but the shut off valve will be the inlet. im going to turn down one of the elbows on the petcock to the size of the pressed in fuel inlet, and press in the fuel valve so it is actually part of the carb. this will give me the room i need, as well as hiding it nicely behind the air cleaner. ill post more about that when i make everything. so after figuring that out made a bracket to relocate the choke and notched it to allow the fuel line to pass. in these photos, you can see there is no room what so ever for any kind of petcock or inline valve.

Get Adobe Flash player

i whipped up this little ignition cover from a belt buckle i found on ebay. i had to shave all the shit off the back so that it was flat, as well as reshape the OD so that it would sit nicely inside the nose cone, and drilled 2 countersunk holes to mount it.

i sanded down the original backing plate and shot a little silver paint on it to act as the back ground, and main seal for the nose cone.

and mounted.

and that leads me up to present day. im still waiting on the rest of my Haifley bros parts, ill update this as i make progress.

Keep up the good work man. I'm diggin' every aspect of this bike so far. And that ignition cover is the tits, haha.

Get Adobe Flash player

That ignition cover is tits. Seriously, tits. LOL. I like everything your doing, nice work. That front wheel is purty. I like the dimensions of the Haifley tail. Looks great. Keep it up. Let me know if you find anymore belt buckles.

Get Adobe Flash player

thanks for the kind words fellas, glad your digging it so far.

Get Adobe Flash player

not a big update, but progress i suppose. i got the HID ballast/ignitor bracket made and mocked up under the battery mount on the frame. this will all be hidden under the battery mount, surrounded by the oil tank. here some photos of said bracket/ballest mount.

i had to grind the nuts flat on one end in order for them to fit up next to the ballasts sides. the pictures make these seem big, but they are tiny, about the size of a bic pen tip.

i then drilled and counter sunk the battery mount to receive the ballasts mount. mounts on mounts.

i then made a strap that holds the ignitor to the ballast using the 2 main bolts that hold the whole shibang to the frame.

here it is mounted. hard to get a decent photo since there isnt much room under there.

and heres all the parts required to make an HID ballast and ignitor hidden. redundant yes, but having a good bright headlight makes this little bit of extra work worth it. the bulb itself is shielded, and it is in a hella copy reflector (autopal) so the light will be distributed nice, not scatered above the cutoff and blinding on coming cars.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Enzoline View Post
    What tank is that?
    Is it a mid tunnel wassel from throttle addiction,or something you made
    its the mid tunnel wassell that TCbros sells. the throttle addiction one has a slightly different tunnel height i think, a bayonet gas cap vs. a screw in, and a different petcock location.
    Last edited by andrewc; 05-27-2014 at 9:09 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

the rest of my Haifley bros parts arrived today, and i got to mocking them up. i had Doug sew in a zipper on one side of the seat so i would have a spot to stash papers/fuses/tools/etc, and im pretty excited on how much room ive got in there for storage and the over all cleanliness of the seat.

i got to fitting everything, drilled the fender and bolted it up. marked where i wanted to cut for length and got to it. i also cut off some of the fender support steel where it meets the round bar on the sissy.

and a couple over all shots with my ferocious shop dog.

Last edited by andrewc; 05-28-2014 at 4:42 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Digging this.

Get Adobe Flash player

Indeed, this is rad.

Get Adobe Flash player

well done so far, looking forward to seeing the finished bike

Get Adobe Flash player

thanks doods. im waiting on some tooling holders for the lathe so i can turn down the lowers and machine some other goodies.

Get Adobe Flash player

i got my fuel line and petcock situation sorted today. i had a 3/8 npt 90* petcock that would work perfectly for this set up. one side of the petcock has a 1/4 hose barb on it, and the other was male threaded 3/8. i had a buddy help me turn down the threads on one side to the exact dimensions of the brass piece that was originally in the carb. after he got it turned down to size, i simply heated around the fuel inlet on the carb body with a heat gun and then pressed in the petcock to the carb.

i then mounted the carb, and test fitted some fuel line to find the best possible routing for it. the fuel line doesnt touch anything from the barb at the tank, down to the barb on the carb.

the petcock doesnt interfere with anything on the filter or the carb body, and is easy to get to with one finger. it also is hidden from most angles unless your looking for it.

overall super happy with how it turned out.

Get Adobe Flash player

Sometimes there's one or two little details that make a bike a cut above. Your simple but not so simple fuel line setup is one. Never seen it done before, perfectly useful and super sanitary. I like it too much. What is the dimension of that tail section? Sportster hardtails are hit and miss sometimes.

Get Adobe Flash player

Looking good. Keep it up!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by shiftace View Post
    Sometimes there's one or two little details that make a bike a cut above. Your simple but not so simple fuel line setup is one. Never seen it done before, perfectly useful and super sanitary. I like it too much. What is the dimension of that tail section? Sportster hardtails are hit and miss sometimes.
    the tail is a Haifley Bros piece, and is a 2" stretch. im not sure of the ride height, but its pretty high. i couldnt agree with you more about the majority of the weld on tails for sportsters being hit or miss. so many visually unpleasing ones out there.

Get Adobe Flash player

that carb petcock was genius

Share This