Advice needed on engine shopping (Special Construction)

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gray
    • Aug 2012

Advice needed on engine shopping (Special Construction)

Last weekend I picked up a rolling chassis that I plan on building up. It's a 2013 Kraft tech frame, and has not been titled yet, however I did get the original MSO with the frame. (I should also say that I am in California.) Anyway, I plan on putting a shovel in it and have put in a good search over the last week trying to find a complete drive train. I have a couple options going right now, but because I am looking for something that I can pretty much toss in the bike and go, (running and no engine work required) but I'm finding that I'm getting towards the top of my budget. It's not that I'm scared of engine work, but I have already sold my other bike and just want to get back out there. The engines that I am looking at right now are out of state and would require shipping.

The Long Beach swap is this weekend- I have never been, but for those of you guys that have, do you think that I would have a good chance at finding a deal on a drive train? If so, being a special construction build, how concerned should I be with engine numbers and documentation? Will a bill of sale do the trick to get this registered?

Also, how much can I plan on saving if I just said fuck it to the shovel plan and picked up an Evo instead? Would there be a considerable price difference between the two?

Any advice in engine/tranny/primary shopping at this point would be really helpful. I have only built Jap stuff in the past, and Harley (and special construction at that...) stuff is new to me so I'm just trying to figure out what the best options are.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited by gray; 05-21-2014, 8:58 PM.
  • Frog
    • Jul 2012

For looks go with the Shovelhead. For increased dependability, go with the Evo. I believe I read somewhere that the '96,'97,'98 were the best but that could be bullshit for all I know. I was looking hard at a '99 Evo. I didn't even know Evo still existed in '99 but I digress.

Shovelhead shit is expensive and I don't know why. Evo shit is more reasonably priced in my opinion. I saw a used Evo 5 speed tranny w/kicker kit and engine in Tucson's CL for under $2,000. A good, used Shovelhead combination (4 speed) like that would probably run $1,000 more. Give or take. Hell you can add the stuff up in the classifieds.

I have no idea what inspections are like in CA or if it even needs to be but that might be a consideration also when deciding. I would imagine sound and emissions standards would be more easily met with an Evo and some parts.

I love my cone Shovelhead but would like to pick up an Evo dresser (for hauling the wife around) to keep it company. I think the Shovelhead, looks wise, was the best looking engine/bike ever made. Bar none. But that is just my opinion. Some like those ugly Pans and Knucks.

Comment

• Sky
      • Aug 2009

Nice looking roller!
      I'd go to local independent shops and see what they have for sale. Or even if they will do a comp check and eyeball whatever you find.
      Maybe not in your budget , but. Call S&S and ask if they have any "frankenstien" motors. They put together once in a while for less than normal retail.
      Does the MoCo still sell evo big twins?
      Call kraftech with the mso number in hand and ask them what trans it was built for. Probably four speed w/chain final drive. The paperwork might even say
      Evos and four speeds go together great!
      I'd sell/trade those forward controls, look like the cheap yet expensive billitish type that wear out super quick and you can't get parts to re-build.
      Wait on getting a primary setup till you know the motor/trans combo

Comment

• RetroRob
        • Oct 2011

I'd get a pre 70s shovel with a title, learn how to go through it and build it up. The title goes with engine.

Comment

• gray
          • Aug 2012

Frog and Sky, thanks for your comments. I'm gonna call around today and see what some shops in the area have. I also looked up the specs of the frame on the Kraft Tech website and found that it was designed for a 5 or 6 speed tranny, so that was solid advice to recommend looking into that.

Rob, I would love to get a titled genny shovel, but unfortunately I'm on a budget.

Comment

• Andy
            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by RetroRob
            I'd get a pre 70s shovel with a title, learn how to go through it and build it up. The title goes with engine.
            His frame has a serial number and mso, it will be titled as a special construction. Putting a titled, pre '70 motor in that frame could create confusion. Titled, pre '70 motors need to be in non numbered frames, that's how they came from the factory.

That roller looks great. I would say Shovelhead or Evo. I'd lean towards an Evo if Harley still sells them as crate motors. Great value and reliability. I would also check with your local dmv office as you would need an mso for a new engine, but how it works if you use a used oem motor/bill of sale is something that you should ask them about.

Comment

• RetroRob
              • Oct 2011

My advice to everybody is get a shovelhead. I like old shit.

Comment

• RODMAN58
                • Sep 2010

We all love old shit. Old shit = cubic dollars spent.

New builders, go buy a EVO motor and you'll have and inexpensive, pleasant building experience. Parts are plentiful and you can build a bike easy under 5 grand if you are frugal and shop around. I have spent more on motor rebuilds for shovels than I have spent in building entire well thought evos. Don't get me wrong. I love my shovels. I just know going in I am gonna spend a LOT more. You can spend more in Pan or Shovel motor than it will cost to do an entire bike. I am putting together an EVO rigid right now. I priced it to a kid 4k (he finishes) 5500 (turn key). Fresh EVO motor, 4 speed, open belt kick only, XL tank, Kraftech frame, laced wheels, wide glide 2 under with a 21. It don't get no cooler, no cheaper.
                Rod

Comment

• farmall
                  • Apr 2013

I have Shovels and an Evo and have worked on plenty of both.

Forced to pick one engine, Evo, end of story. Shovels have prettier top ends. Yay.

I don't find much difference in parts prices doing older engines, but the total for rebuilding some rag the previous owners beat the shit out of and that is decades old is going to be more.
                  If I expect to throw away everything but the cases, heads, and minor parts that's cool but not cheap.

You can always buy a Shovel later.

Comment

• AMFshovelheads
                    • Dec 2012

+1 on EVO
                    Shovel if you want to learn the hard way

Comment

• lilmad
                      • Jan 2011

This is true
                      Originally posted by RODMAN58
                      We all love old shit. Old shit = cubic dollars spent.

New builders, go buy a EVO motor and you'll have and inexpensive, pleasant building experience. Parts are plentiful and you can build a bike easy under 5 grand if you are frugal and shop around. I have spent more on motor rebuilds for shovels than I have spent in building entire well thought evos. Don't get me wrong. I love my shovels. I just know going in I am gonna spend a LOT more. You can spend more in Pan or Shovel motor than it will cost to do an entire bike. I am putting together an EVO rigid right now. I priced it to a kid 4k (he finishes) 5500 (turn key). Fresh EVO motor, 4 speed, open belt kick only, XL tank, Kraftech frame, laced wheels, wide glide 2 under with a 21. It don't get no cooler, no cheaper.
                      Rod

Comment

• nofendertom
                        • Apr 2014

if you get an EVO tranny--get one from a softail -the rubber mounts have the oil bag built in underneath-
                        won't fit your frame without a lot of work

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                        Working...
                        ;