CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default My first build. few questions

This is my first street bike and first motorcycle build. I have a 94 sportster. When I got it it came with wide glide forks, which is exactly what I wanted, and a 19'' 9 spoke mag wheel on the front. I wanted to put a 16'' wheel to match the rear wheel/tire on the front so I purchased a 16x3 9 spoke. It is exactly like my rear wheel, with a 3/4 axle. I plan on running either 130/90/16 or 150/80/16 matching sizes on front and rear. My first question is this what I need, besides normal spacers, to run the 16 up front to line up the calipers correctly? I was just going to do single disc but the forks can take dual.

1/2" Thick Disc Spacer For Use With 1999 & Earlier Big Twin 16" or 21" Front Wheels in 39mm Wide Glide Front End.

Second question. I plan on going with a 49t/23t chain. The motor is an 883 for an 88 sportster. Will I need to run an offset or anything if I go with the 150s? I still need to buy the sprockets, so I want to know what to look for.

I plan on buying the Ultima kit with ignition and coil. The bike has no wiring what-so-ever so I was planning on running the very basics and maybe rear turn signals. I have common handle bar controls I plan on using for start/stop, signals, and lights. Beside a battery, regulator, fuses, ignition, ignition relay, brake relay, turn signal switch, is there anything I should plan on getting?

Thanks for taking your time to read. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Redec; 05-20-2014 at 11:16 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Do you have the wide trees and 39mm legs? if so the axle spacers axle and disk spacers are pretty specific to that combo. Best bet is to mock, measure and machine. Probably need a big 'ole spacer under both front disks.
    Not sure a 150 will fit in the swing arm or fender or chain-guard. 150 is aprox 150mm, again measure what's there now first. 140 should just squeeze back there.
    But really you'll get better handling from an "MT" or 130. That poor 883 needs as little weight as possible anyway. Lighter wheels help too.

Chain offset has to clear the as installed sidewall. Which can vary from tire brand/style to tire. That final drive ratio is gonna lose you torque in every gear. Good idea for freeway but you'll revving around town just to get into the power band.

A fancy ignition for an 883? stick with the Dyna-S or Twin-tec with weights. If the stock ignition still works it'll do fine.

Ditch the hand controls and signals. All you need is two toggles and a High amp starter switch. Or an automotive keyed ign/start switch and a hi/lo toggle. You can ditch the start relay if the switch is rated high.an ignition
    Mount the switches to the motor mount. Make sure to use the correct gauge wire. Use breakers not fuses. Don't need an ign or brake relay at all. Just a rear brake light switch.

Hope this helps.

Get Adobe Flash player

I think they are 41(.24)mm. I need to measure them. Thanks for the heads up

Get Adobe Flash player

Looks like I have an old set of 35mm tubes with the wide glide conversion triple trees. It is 10'' from center to center. This is going to be fun. Could I use the 39mm spacer above with another 2mm flat spacer in between?
    Last edited by Redec; 05-21-2014 at 2:19 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Yea, it's pretty much make sure the axle spacers center the wheel and then space that rotor out to to match the caliper.

Get Adobe Flash player

It didn't work. It doesn't go all the way over the lip, flush to the wheel, and it positions the rotor too close to the tubes. I think I am going to have to have one made. I know what I need....just gotta find someone who will machine it for me.

Get Adobe Flash player

Dude, five washers of the correct thickness will work for a rotor. If you hog out the center of the spacer you have?

Get Adobe Flash player

With the rim centered. The rotor sits right off the edge of the lip to be in to correct position. I can get up a pic if you think that would help.

Centered, the rim has exactly 2'' on both sides. When I put the rotor in the correct position then flush the wheel up to it, I have to move it over .5''. The lip for the rotor to sit on is .5''. This is my issue. I need a .5 spacer with the rotor lip on it. So the adapter would need to be ..75'' total It would have to be a 2.4 diameter. A 2'' diameter lip would be impossible.
    Last edited by Redec; 05-26-2014 at 9:47 PM.

Share This