Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tmb99
    • Jul 2012

Right hand gear shift sporty

I came across one near me for a good price, however never heard much about the right hand gear ironheads. What I'm wondering, is the engine and gearbox reliable and easy enough to get parts for? Any advice in general about these?
    Last edited by tmb99; 05-20-2014, 4:12 AM.
  • Ramzilla
    • Oct 2013

Search

Comment

• tmb99
      • Jul 2012

Yep did that, it's all jockey shift and suicide clutch threads with some forward questions thrown in.
      I've done a lot of reading since and it appears the only thing to watch-out for are the first few yrs of the right shift bikes as they were kinda cobbled together.

Comment

• Ramzilla
        • Oct 2013

It's actually the first few years of LEFT side shifts that were cobbled together. I've had bot and preferred the right shift except for the getting used to factor after riding my other bikes. And if you do get one and don't like it you can easily locate the stuff to swap it over to left shift.

Comment

• stumpnc
          • Nov 2013

What I heard years ago was, Pretty much all bikes in the 60's and early 70's were right side shift. After the Japanese imports really hit, they had left side shift. There were so many imports that around 72 or 73 Ralph Nader and the safety Nazis wanted everything standard to avoid accidents so the manufactures went to left side shift Right side brake.Kind of the start of the New World Order .If they had left well enough alone more people would be ambidextrous and able to multi task riding scooters!!

Comment

• RetroRob
            • Oct 2011

sportys were designed to compete with the light weight Triumphs and BSAs that were all right shift. HD hoped they would get riders crossing over from the British stuff.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;