Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EMAN
    • Feb 2013

SU rivera (1 or 2) V.S. S&S SUPER E for ironhead

just getting my bike out from a winter build. Had some minor problems with the timing, Polarizing the generator, manifold leaks, and badly adjusted pushrods. I knew I didn't have any carb(SU) problems because I rebuilt it before I took on the engine rebuild, and tested it out. now that I've done all this I took it to a few local shops. both guys I talked to told me it sounds starved for fuel, but I should upgrade to an S&S super E. I explained that the engine was stroked and thats why I thought the previous owner had mounted the SU carb. Isn't the CV carbs better for stroked engines? I figured both have jets for stroked engines but cv were better, and more fuel efficient. one of they shops told me the SU is for bigger engines like V-twins etc. So my question is this, which is better for an ironhead(stroked) an SU eliminator or an S&S Super E? thoughts, and experiences with either would be appreciated.
    eman( I have a 77 xlch )

• psychokat
    • Aug 2010

Personally, I love the SU, and I will never run anything else. The SU may have started out for car engines, but it is damn near perfect for a harley, too. There is NO reason why it should be any kind of problem on your bike, as long as it has the proper needle jet (that is excluding all the other things you need to check/ confirm. timing, pushrods, etc.) If your bike really is starved for fuel, Rivera makes a spacer to increase the capacity of the fuel bowl. The S&S is a lawnmower carb, in my opinion ( and many others', too). I see this is kinda old, hope this is some kind of help, I have a friend who is super smart on making the SU function right on bikes. I can put you in touch with him, if you want.

Comment

• psychokat
      • Aug 2010

BTW, I really like your bike!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
      Working...
      ;