Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • philkelly
    • Mar 2014

05 sportster, tail light wiring issues

trying to instal a new tail light but the brake switch will not turn off. it is like the brake light switch is constantly engaged. can any of you guys help?
  • bigdaddy
    • Nov 2009

Originally posted by philkelly
    trying to instal a new tail light but the brake switch will not turn off. it is like the brake light switch is constantly engaged. can any of you guys help?
    Check to see if the little tab under the hand brake lever is snapped off. If you recently removed the master cylinder, it's likely that it broke off. It's kinda hard to explain., but the tab is depressed when the lever is not being pulled. When you pull the brake lever, the button under it will release and turn the light on. When the tab is broken the light will stay on because there nothin for the lever to push on. I had this happen. I just added a small strip of aluminum to the brake lever. A new button is around $25, I think. I'm cheap, so I fixed my self. Nobody can see it, and it works fine.

Comment

• daroberts3
      • Dec 2012

Another possible cause is the new brake light wires are often confusing colors. Using your bike's battery, test the wires on the tail light to identify the way in which it is wired. Identify the ground, running and brake by touching the non ground wires to the positive post of battery and observing the light. I recently wired a tail light that had blue wire as the brake light wire, red as the running light, black as ground. So, the red and blue wires were exactly opposite of stock wiring on the bike.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
      Working...
      ;