Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nomoney
    • Feb 2014

starter wiring

I'm redoing doing all my own wiring on my 80/79 sporty, since the P.O. fancied himself an electrician and apparently didn't believe in fuses. I traded for the frame and have pieced everything else together. My question lies in wiring the starter.

I know that there are two leads going to the solenoid, one from the relay and one hot from the battery, and then a lead jumping from solenoid to the starter motor. My question is what goes where? The solenoid has I think two 3/8 posts, and one #10-24, and the starter has what looks like a 1/4-20. I'm assuming on the solenoid that one of the 3/8 posts is for the hot from the battery. Any help? Also what size fuse so I need feeding my hot leg? From what I can find, I think its supposed to be 15A but I don't know for sure.

Thanks in advance
  • IronheadVic
    • Sep 2012

O.k., I think it goes like this. (+) battery cable to solenoid (big post), good size cable from the other big post on the solenoid to the starter. The small post on the solenoid goes to your start switch. Your start switch when engaged will cause the solenoid slug to move. When the solenoid slug moves, it allows the power from the battery to go through the solenoid to the starter. something like this....... http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/x...psa8c6b0f9.png I did not run fuses. I ran automotive circuit breakers. When the 'blow', they reset, don't have to replace fuses. I ran a 30 amp after the battery then a 15 amp going to the lights and a 15 amp going to the starting circuit.
    Last edited by IronheadVic; 05-15-2014, 9:16 PM.

Comment

• nomoney
      • Feb 2014

Awesome man, thanks for the help, now I just need a kitchen pass to go out to the garage lol

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
      Working...
      ;