Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Herrisj
    • May 2014

New guy! Help me with my Bobber!

Hi! Last summer I went through France on my Eurotrip and in a small town on the riviera, I saw this bad ass sporty looking, stripped custom with awesome lines and flawless stance. But I had no idea what kind of bike it was! So I went home and started googling things like "sportschopper" and "sporty custom bike" etc. Finally I found what I was looking for, they called it a bobber (I understand there's a bit of controversy surrounding the word bobber, but I'ma call it that) . I Knew right then and there I wanted one. So I figured it's time now that I have the $$$!
    I'm making an old school bike (probably 80s) but with lots of 21st century influences.
    haven't got the bike yet cause I haven't found the right one. But pretty much anything in decent shape with a V-twin or a cb750/magna for under $1500. I'm in Sweden so that's not the easiest thing ever!

This one is really important: How do I replace the old shitty approximately 120-150mm wide rear wheel with a bad ass 160-180mm rear wheel? Probably gonna weld my own hardtail, but where is a good place to find rims for a good price? And how do I fix some offset on the front sprocket to get it in line with the rear sprocket?
    Any tips or things I should watch out for while doing this? How do I get it all balanced and straight? For the record I don't give a shit if you think a fat rear tyre looks gay or whatever, this is my build!

I want holes in my tank! No, not the holes in a tank that pop up when you Google "holes in tank". I mean actually peek-holes through my tank! I know how to do it, but is there any downsides except the obvious (less fuel)? Pic: http://www.tcbroschoppers.com/media/...duct/1/_/1.jpg

When making your own seat, what do I use for padding? And how do I stretch on the leather over the padding? Glue and force? I know I'm just 22 and shouldn't worry too much about comfort, but I like my butt. Pointers please!

What bike do you suggest I go for? The xv400 and the like has 40hp and looks just right, but is it enough power? Been riding dirtbikes my entire life so I don't really have any reference to HP/weight.
    If you know any good thread for newbie bobber builders please direct me, cause I didn't find any great ones just searching this site. I am pretty crap at searching though!

If you bothered to read this far, I'd like to thank you for reading. And if you decide to help me erase my questionmarks I would be eternally grateful. I really want to get this right!
  • Coffins
    • Mar 2014

This thread, if it's going to stick around, probably belongs in the Main Forum.

For the sake of not arguing over the terms 'bobber' and 'chopper,' let's just refer to this as your 'build.' The engine and frame are going to be the biggest decisions involved - everything else will follow from them. For the sake of saving money, though, I suggest you remain open-minded and grab what's available on the cheap instead of getting set on something particular before you've even started. I don't really know which ones are common in Sweden, probably Jap and Euro bikes. There should be plenty of options for something with a decent output.

As offsets go, Cycle-X sells one for the CB750, for instance. I'm sure other manufacturers or fabricators offer similar products. There are lots of how-to and tech threads for making your own stuff, seats included, so use that search function.

There's at least a handful of Swedes here on CC. Maybe drop them a line if you need a hand or some advice. Welcome to ChopCult.

Comment

• Herrisj
      • May 2014

I suppose you are right, the thing is that I'm pretty set on a jap seeing as it's the only decent bikes that are relatively cheap in sweden. I'm right now just scouting for the right bike right now, anything that i feel i can make something out of will be concidered. Just found a v45 that looks interesting!

Is there any way for me to move this thread, or is that only for mods?

Comment

• Coffins
        • Mar 2014

The mods will take care of it if they care, hah. Feel free to post photos and ask questions once you get that v45, assuming you do.

Comment

• Jetblack
          • Apr 2024

Does not belong in the main forum it is a discussion about modifying a Japanese bike. So feel free to carry on.

Comment

• Herrisj
            • May 2014

Any tips on how to get the hardtail straight and balanced? I can't just weld it on there without precise alignment.
            Will post pictures as soon as i get a bike, stay tuned

Comment

• Tuesdayclub
              • Jan 2012

A frame jig maybe? Some of these questions lead me to believe you're in way over your head. Just dig around here for a little while and I'm sure that 99.99% of your questions will be answered.

Comment

• Herrisj
                • May 2014

It's my first bike, it's pretty natural that i have questions. I don't even know what to search for since english isn't my native language, for example i didn't know it was called a frame jig, so how am i supposed to find it in other threads?

I could probably figure all this out by myself, after a few tries. But i find it more beneficial to just ask, so that when i get my bike i allready know what i need to do

Comment

• BoothEatsBUGS
                  • May 2013

I left the swing arm on and used it as a guide to weld on my hardtail. Duckman has a youtube video showing him doing it to a KZ440 or something.

Comment

• siamesegun
                    • Sep 2012

Step 1: Buy a bike you like and want to ride.
                    Step 2: Ride that bike.
                    Step 3: Ride that bike with other people who could help you work on it.
                    Step 4: Make that bike yours.

You have experience on two wheels but have no idea what you like on a street bike at this point and haven't collected enough knowledge to really make decisions when it comes to chopping. The entire time you're riding your bike, stay here and sit still for a bit. Read every build thread on these forums you can. Read the build threads on non-Jap bikes. Read articles on welding/fab/engines. Read.

If you don't dial back a little bit I'm afraid you're going to just start throwing money at a project that you may never finish.

The key to buying vintage jap bikes is to figure that you'll spend 25-50% of your purchase price on top to get it up and running unless you know where it came from and everything they've kept up on. Unless you buy something in mint condition and pay a lot more for it.

So in the interest of not seeming like I'm hoping to discourage you from joining the club, I'm going to make some suggestions: 1) dial back the enthusiasm and start riding while you learn or 2) buy a chop/bob that looks the way you want it up front and don't worry about fabricating your own.

There is no hobby you'll ever get into that will save you money, and diving in head first will never be more frugal than taking your time and learning.

Best of luck, stick around the site, ask questions, and most importantly START RIDING.

Comment

• Herrisj
                      • May 2014

BoothEatsBUGS i will definitely check that out!

siamesegun thanks for a great response! The thing is that in Sweden you need to be 23 to ride bikes over 35KW. So i will have from now until next april/march to build on the bike. I won't just leave it in my garage all winter. But i understand what you're saying and i will think before i start throwing cash on this project (there's a reason i just started joining forums, to get info before i start). I do have a knack for diving head first into different projects and quitting after a while. Not planning on doing that this time around.

Not one of my friends know anything about bikes, so asking people i ride with for help is a no go. I will mostly rely on forums and my dad.

Edit: The internet as a whole, not just forums!
                      Last edited by Herrisj; 05-15-2014, 3:24 PM.

Comment

• Coffins
                        • Mar 2014

http://www.chopperhandbook.com/ Never stop reading.

Comment

• Herrisj
                          • May 2014

Great website, thanks alot!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                          Working...
                          ;