CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Depends on your budget but i thought id keep to the matching repop drum hub. Fits right up and set up correctly it doesnt stop half bad. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190918_065639_823.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	300.5 KB 
ID:	98908

Some you folks ain't gonna like my reply, but here it goes. I love springers, had plenty, rode them, fabbed brake systems for them etc.

Yes, most of your braking performance comes from the front brake. Not running a front brake and hoping you can predict others driving or predicting the environment from getting creamed ain't gonna help you in the hospital.

I love the look of stripped down bikes. But consider this. At one point I ran a suicide shift with no front brake. Then I stopped at red light on top of a steep hill. When I ride, I remain vigilant. But still I've gotten creamed by cagers that appear seemingly out of nowhere. You cant totally predict others movements or the environment. And even if you get lucky, do you have enough braking distance to make the stop?

If you run a front brake, run one that actually works. Small drum or drum brakes on the front typically don't work that well.

Think: Does cool looks take priority over death, maiming or paralysis: Your choice...

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Save some grief, send that vtwin unit back and get that cannonball euro twin shoe hydraulic unit. If you can lock up front and rear you're getting 100% out of your setup. The goal isn't to lockup your brakes, just apply as much pressure as road conditions allow.
    After that you're getting into fade, how long your brakes work under panic--discs are better than drum, etc. At least you're braking better than a hardtail/springer sum of parts and can apply far more pressure to drum than just a mechanical cable.

My big gripes on the limits of a springer are the same as a hardtail--bottoming out and loss of road contact on panic braking. Michigan has too many potholes to run one otherwise I'm all about it.

Big picture, looking cool vs stopping? I'm getting old and leaning this way, if I wanted to stop I'd go right over to Yamaha and buy something brand new with ABS. Not even apples to oranges, more like apples to boat anchors. I do still prefer the boat anchors.
    Last edited by seaking; 12-12-2019 at 8:52 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by seaking View Post
    If you can lock up front and rear you're getting 100% out of your setup.
    Once you lock the wheels up your just along for the ride............ Lock up means NOTHING...................

Once the wheels stop turning your not stopping................. Your sliding faster.................

Get Adobe Flash player

Stopping effectiveness is measurable and testable. Lockup is failure. Maximum braking without locking up is success, but choppers are art bikes where function doesn't matter and the less functional the motorcycle the more awesome one is for riding it. That's not being sarcastic, just direct and cutting through all the old wive's tales/delusions/lies.

Here's the honest way to look at brake downgrades:
    "I don't give a fuck but it looks great parked." That's what choppers are specifically for, to look great parked.

That said, run what you find sexy and problem solved!
    You can always ride slower if stopping is an issue, just remember chops evolved when traffic was slow as fuck compared to today and vehicles were extremely crude (we forget the crap beneath sexy bodywork) and only performed in a straight line if at all. That reality doesn't bother me but many folks live in denial. Since all performance is numerically measurable it's easy to compare choices.

If you don't like a brake you choose, you can always sell it and do something different. Never marry what you can pimp.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm advocating lockup as a baseline for full performance. Otherwise without some fancy engineering how would you know? I want full power under panic up to--but not over--the point of a slide.

In the likely case of the OP or that softail above, you're only talking about straight line braking, ground clearance is nil so any panic maneuver will likely plow hard parts right into pavement. The remedy in a bad situation is easy, squeeze that lever hard as your dick without locking up and hope the object gets the fuck outta the way.

The latter school of thought is to "detune" and offer the ridership more control by throwing out that possibility of a slide simply by offering shitty brakes. It's a win-win for HD, your ridership is happy they're not going to fly over the bars (they never were going to) and bean counters save some coin. HD's dual disc of the 70's, evos up into twin cam every HD has crappy stock brakes. You're just now starting to see that fall by the wayside with the intro of ABS.

Get Adobe Flash player

I want full power under panic up to--but not over--the point of a slide.

Since you brought up panic stopping...... On your everyday, day in day out everytime you come up to a signal or what ever do you use just the front brake just the rear brake or both front and rear brakes every time?????????

Think about and be honest with your answer...........

Get Adobe Flash player

Once again, true wisdom from Farmall...
    Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    Stopping effectiveness is measurable and testable.

(snip)

If you don't like a brake you choose, you can always sell it and do something different. Never marry what you can pimp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    Since you brought up panic stopping...... On your everyday, day in day out everytime you come up to a signal or what ever do you use just the front brake just the rear brake or both front and rear brakes every time?????????

Think about and be honest with your answer...........
    I use my front brake A LOT. That last few feet is usually done with the rear brake (hitting a little 'low-traction' spot can let the wheel lock up for a moment - I've found that to be disconcerting if it's the front); apart from that, it only provides a small fraction of the braking force on my Sportster.

For giggles, I've tried stopping with just the rear brake. Let me tell you, it didn't cut it in Seattle traffic... leave enough distance to get by with it, and some 'soccercunt' (credit to Farmall for introducing me to that term) is damn near guaranteed to jump into that gap.

Now, to examine Tat's post: do I want to choose a braking system for my AVERAGE riding, or a PLAUSIBLE worst case scenario?

For me, if I'm going to ride, I want something that is likely to perform in an unexpected situation. I don't want something that I have to worry about getting hot in heavy traffic, and only ride at night. I don't want something so damn slow that I'm afraid to pull out onto a freeway (having moved away from Seattle, I've been on highways with speed limits from 65 to 80 mph). And, I don't want something that stopped so poorly that I can only safely ride it in a parade.

All that being said, what I consider acceptable is not what someone else considers acceptable, and I don't claim it to be. I just have to rely on my experience and my own level of comfort, and choose accordingly. To each his own.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by thecarfarmer View Post
    All that being said, what I consider acceptable is not what someone else considers acceptable, and I don't claim it to be. I just have to rely on my experience and my own level of comfort, and choose accordingly. To each his own.

You kinda got where I was going with my question..................

What you normally do day in and day out is what you will do in a panic stop because it's habit....... If you use just your front brake that's what your going to use in a panic........

On any bike that I ride I always reach for both brakes weather I use one more than the other at that point depends on how much and how fast I need to stop..........

Like you said to each his own.............. I'm just trying to help someone that has never considered the possibilities.......

Get Adobe Flash player

I disagree but I tend to hunt neutral and coast to a stoplight or right turn and tend to get lazy and skip my front turning right on those situations.

I also skip my front on surface streets because they're really terrible and I work near a harbor where the road gets covered in slippery stone dust.

Well worn routes and twisties that's different, I'll use both if I know the front is worth a shit and usually cover front brake if any car is close. Lately it's been 3 different bikes and it changes, the FXDLS I sold the rear brake was changed while the fronts were only 75%

Get Adobe Flash player

I disagree but I tend to hunt neutral and coast to a stoplight or right turn and tend to get lazy and skip my front turning right on those situations.

I also skip my front on surface streets because they're really terrible and I work near a harbor where the road gets covered in slippery stone dust.

Well worn routes and twisties that's different, I'll use both if I know the front is worth a shit and usually cover front brake if any car is close. Lately it's been 3 different bikes and it changes, the FXDLS I sold the rear brake was changed while the fronts were only 75%
    To each his own........... You ride what's comfortable to you that's just fine with me.............

Best of luck.............

Share This