Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JuggernautCycles
    • Apr 2014

AIH help please!

First off, Hello all, long time stalker, new forum member. Been working on all kinds of bikes part time out of my home garage for several years. Mainly for friends and a few "customers". Currenly building a 1980 FXE shovel and 1981 rigid shovel. With that out of the way, I need help! I've been pulling my hair out over a friends ride here's the lo down:
    1997 American Ironhorse equiped with an S&S 107 and super G carb. The bike has been sitting and not run for about 2 years. I am attempting to get it running again. The bike will start and then die if I put a little cab fluid in the throttle body but wont fire at all on its own. I have fresh, 93 octane in it.

I have cleaned the tank, replaced the petcock, new fuel lines, new Deka ETX20L battery, and spark plugs with a .035 gap. Changed the oil and filter and before I attempted to fire it up, I put misted a little Marvel Mystery oil in through the plug holes to soak the pistons a bit.
    I have rebuilt the carb and have now checked my work about 5 times by the 20 something page S&S carb manual. I have the idle mixture screw, idle speed screw and accelerator pump screw set according to the carb quick guide checked and tripple checked. I replaced the needle and float and set the new float 1/8" below gasket surface. The float/needle are moving fine.
    I checked the plugs for fire and both are getting a nice blue/white consistent spark.
    The carb seems to be getting plenty of gas and emits a nice stream when I pull the throttle. I've taken off the new petcock and cant see any issues or o-ring pinch or anything.

The bike was running when parked as far as I know with the owner saying he had a little trouble with the rear cylinder getting hot and shutting down from time to time. Nothing as far as carb jets or anything else has been changed, by me at least.

If the bike does start with just the current set up, the carb will quickly cough and spit gas from the port in the throttle body that leads to the enrichment device. Everything is telling me this is a gas leanness issue and there is something simple that I'm missing cause I'm tired of this bike and want to get back to building my shovels. Any ideas?
  • Sky
    • Aug 2009

Check for spark at the plugs?
    Check the pushrod adjustment?
    Intake seals were replaced?
    Sounds like its time for a comp and/or leak down test.

Comment

• RetroRob
      • Oct 2011

Sounds like that tiny intermediate jet is clogged, dosent take much. Squirting fuel means the accelerator pump is working. Also try hooking it up to a battery charger when starting.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
      Working...
      ;