CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Question 18" rear AMF ironhead wheel on EVO sporty?

Who here has done this and has insight on the swap? I'm pretty sure the axle size is the same (3/4") but what about the bolt pattern for the disc and pulley? Hub spacing? i like the look of the old 18" rear mags and would like to run one on my 2002 883R.

Thanks!

Sprocket fits. I have one already set up for a belt drive.

You will need to get/make axle spacers for it to fit your swingarm. I don't know about your brake, it may or may not fit.

Get Adobe Flash player

This how I remember it: Ironhead disk brake models used a dished sprocket. Evo models went to a flat sprocket, so the hub flange offsets changed. As best I recall, the sprocket and disks patterns are the same. There's nothing I can recall that using spacers to correct alignment won't fix.

Bob

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm running one on my '98. The axle is the same size and the bolt holes are the same, getting the rotor and the sprocket/pulley lined up isn't hard either, as Bob said.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	311.6 KB 
ID:	61830

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Buellbomb View Post
    I'm running one on my '98. The axle is the same size and the bolt holes are the same, getting the rotor and the sprocket/pulley lined up isn't hard either, as Bob said.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	311.6 KB 
ID:	61830
    Thanks for the input everyone! Did you have to get a dished sprocket for the ironhead wheel? made for an ironhead?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by rextec View Post
    Thanks for the input everyone! Did you have to get a dished sprocket for the ironhead wheel? made for an ironhead?
    I used a dished sprocket. The old wheel's hub iS narrower than a newer one so you need one to get the chain past the tire.

Get Adobe Flash player

Or you can use sprocket/pulley/rotor spacers to get the correct backspacing.
    I've done two of these conversions, on a '91 883 and a '96 1200S, and even though both 18" wheels had the same AMF PN40995-78 casting number, they both had different offsets. Go figure.
    On one wheel, I used a 5/16" spacer on the pulley, on the other, it took a 1/4" spacer on the flat sprocket and a 1/16" spacer on the rotor.
    Best thing to do is measure the offsets on your stock wheel, then get the proper spacers to bring the 18" up to par.

Get Adobe Flash player

Alright thank you, seems pretty straight forward then. Good lookin bikes you got there!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Gadsdenguy View Post
    Or you can use sprocket/pulley/rotor spacers to get the correct backspacing.
    I've done two of these conversions, on a '91 883 and a '96 1200S, and even though both 18" wheels had the same AMF PN40995-78 casting number, they both had different offsets. Go figure.
    On one wheel, I used a 5/16" spacer on the pulley, on the other, it took a 1/4" spacer on the flat sprocket and a 1/16" spacer on the rotor.
    Best thing to do is measure the offsets on your stock wheel, then get the proper spacers to bring the 18" up to par.

Great info and fun looking bike my friend.

Share This