CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default School me on S&S Super B

Second question:
    i ended up with a super b. machined a bird deflector at work. carb has a one inch spacer. bike starts easy. idles well. runs well at lower speeds. when i try to get on it, it seems to give me that hesitation and a carb fart syndrome. too rich? too lean? i was thinking it was lean, but i could just be doing something wrong. No intake leaks by the way. Maybe need to bump up intermediate jet? i don't know size now.

original post:

"So I have a 73 kick only shovel, and im done with the bendix and Keihin I have.

I've never had an S&S before and I want to get a Super B, But I have a few simple questions.

I was wondering if I had to have a S&S intake manifold? I think there is a difference between the 74" and 80" intake mounting (band vs. o-Ring)? I read something about S&S not wanting you to run single cable so am I able to run single cable? Do I need a bracket for the cable?
    Any tricks for kick only? I'm aware the carb does not have a accelerator pump, but am not looking to spend the price on the super E or the add on accelerator pump for the B. Also, what is a good price for a used running setup? Any help would be great."
    Last edited by krowpickin; 05-17-2014 at 6:28 AM.

As Far as intakes You either have a o ring flange or a rubber band flange. You can run the rubber band intake on a o ring head if you use a plastic spacer on the flange.
    You can run one throttle cable the cable boss is part of the carb body and there are 2 of them on the carb body. The early ones only had 1 and at one time if you had a single cable B body you could exchange it for a new carb with the pull boss on it. I found on mine that by richening up the intermediate jet and leaning out thye main the bike started easy and had no coughing at all and ran good,you don't need an accelerator pump

Get Adobe Flash player

keep in mind that without the accelerator pump you can't really blip the throttle sorta just floods and dies if you do.

with that being said I run a b on my 80" shovel and have never had a problem.

just something to think about.

also you could probably find an e easier than a b today and for about the same price

people who have the b's still normally love them

you can buy a kit to put an accelerator pump on a b. doesn't take much.

Get Adobe Flash player

Listen brother, I was just in your EXACT situation. I didn't want to drop the cash for an E so i spent $60 on an old B carb and $5 at a swap for the air cleaner and then $15 for a new enrichener and shit. Here is my experience;

a Super B will make your bike run great. Mine would start easy, idle fine and chugg down the road just dandy. However, the lack of accelerator pump was BRUTAL. Guys will tell you that you "just have to roll on the throttle" or "take it easy". With my experience, anything past a quarter throttle and the engine completely dies. I mean, I had to severely baby the throttle just to make it through all of the gears without an intense flat spot that jerks you forward once the motor stops pulling.

I didn't like how the B ran so i bought an accelerator pump and new carb arm and a new accelo bowl and putting it together and getting it to run was a fucking nightmare. none of the parts fit right and you have to drill into the carb body and it just wasn't worth the time/effort/money.

So i sold it and ponied up $200 for a Super E just today.

Also, Super B's run a single throttle cable. It's E's that need two.

In conclusion, I really like the B. it's huge and simple and cheap. it's just a shame that they don't run better.

My advice? buy a CV.

Quote Originally Posted by imwastefull View Post
    Listen brother, I was just in your EXACT situation. I didn't want to drop the cash for an E so i spent $60 on an old B carb and $5 at a swap for the air cleaner and then $15 for a new enrichener and shit. Here is my experience;

a Super B will make your bike run great. Mine would start easy, idle fine and chugg down the road just dandy. However, the lack of accelerator pump was BRUTAL. Guys will tell you that you "just have to roll on the throttle" or "take it easy". With my experience, anything past a quarter throttle and the engine completely dies. I mean, I had to severely baby the throttle just to make it through all of the gears without an intense flat spot that jerks you forward once the motor stops pulling.

I didn't like how the B ran so i bought an accelerator pump and new carb arm and a new accelo bowl and putting it together and getting it to run was a fucking nightmare. none of the parts fit right and you have to drill into the carb body and it just wasn't worth the time/effort/money.

So i sold it and ponied up $200 for a Super E just today.

Also, Super B's run a single throttle cable. It's E's that need two.

In conclusion, I really like the B. it's huge and simple and cheap. it's just a shame that they don't run better.

My advice? buy a CV.
    You didn't have it tuned right.

Get Adobe Flash player

Nah. I tried different intermediate and main jets, new manifold and gasket.... the carb was solid. The performance wasn't.

Get Adobe Flash player

maybe the intermediate passage is clogged, something doesn't sound right.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by JHibbler View Post
    maybe the intermediate passage is clogged, something doesn't sound right.
    Worn throttle shaft ?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by RetroRob View Post
    Worn throttle shaft ?
    worn throttle shaft usually just makes it hard to get a nice idle.

Get Adobe Flash player

There was someone in the classified about a month ago or so that would rebuild a super b for a good price, does anyone know who that was or what page that was on?

Get Adobe Flash player

E's do NOT need 2 cables.

Get Adobe Flash player

a super b will perform greaton a mild or stock shovel.. they are not any harder to tune than any other. those who have hesitations or what not either have themsetup wrong, or bad parts.
    a super will hesitate stumble if you like to whack the shit out of the throttle at lights or in the parking lot in nuetral.
    the hard part is getting one that has a tight throttle shaft, many have been re-bushed and it is very hard to do and have it come out correct. which is the rooot of many problems.
    also non-s&s rebuild kits , esspecially throttle plates will cause all sorts of grief.
    the other big thing is getting to know how the enricher works and how to use it.. theyy will pull a lot of fuel in on prime kicks{ enricher up, throttle CLOSED and a couple of kicks}
    this may help or hurt youdepending on what your bike likes. the nice thing is if you f up your start, you can hold the throttle open, give it 5 good kicks and start over.
    i would stay away from accel pump add ons, they are a pain in the ass because they use parts that sucked already, and not neccesary.
    there is nothing wrong withh an e or a cv but they dont have the pull {length} or the simplicity of a b.
    if any one tells you they dont have good response or they stutter, i will be glad to show them differently .
    i guess the moral is find one that hasnt been molested or wore out..in my exp its hard as the good ones are still cruising around on bikes, the hammerd out ones are for sale cheap.

Get Adobe Flash player

I've done several B accelerator pump kits on Shovels and Evos and my only gripe is the shit quality of replacement pumps, which are "Bendix" style. No problems at all installing them.

I ran my first Accello kit on my Evo FXR from 1988 until last year when I got tired of replacing pumps (I'm really lazy) and wanted a little more knee clearance. An E solved that.

Any B I use will have a pump. They are rock simple. Still have my B's and I'm adding Amal ticklers (because I fucking love that Amal feature) and when I get around to it I'll find a Viton cup to match the Accello bore and, I hope, a boot to replace the cracking rotten garbage aftermarket parts.

I've never had to rebush a B or swap a throttle plate so I kinda wonder how people manage to wear 'em out. My highest mileage B has over 100K on it, ran fine when pulled and has no significant wear. I don't keep my bike clean and the carb got its share of dust and grit.

I use adjustable enricheners. Again, not strictly necessary but they are convenient and not at all complex.

My air filter cover screws backed out now and then so I drilled through the backing plate then installed allen head stainless through bolts and lock nuts.

Es don't need two cables.

One B accessory I took right back off and don't care for was the adjustable main jet. Repeatability after bowl gasket changes is poor and there's no need to fiddle with mains unless you ride through major altitude changes or something.

Get Adobe Flash player

i ended up with a super b. machined a bird deflector at work. carb has a one inch spacer. bike starts easy. idles well. runs well at lower speeds. when i try to get on it, it seems to give me that hesitation and a carb fart syndrome. too rich? too lean? i was thinking it was lean, but i could just be doing something wrong. No intake leaks by the way. Maybe need to bump up intermediate jet? i don't know size now.
    Last edited by krowpickin; 05-17-2014 at 6:28 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

main jet to low or you need to roll on the throttle , I had one on a 75 sportster i.n the 70's ran great you just have to roll on the throttle.

Get Adobe Flash player

Then I'll go with main. I am rolling on throttle. Still breaks up. I can get it super rich on idle. But it's when I'm already rolling and go to speed up at a decent rate. Not just dumping throttle

Get Adobe Flash player

sounds like main jet drop the nut and pull it look at the number and bump it up also check your plugs.
    I have a super B sitting behind me in nice shape air cleaner the whole shebang, always nice having a spare..
    I strocked my sporty back in the day, I think in 81 with an S&S kit bike screamed . I payed more for the stroker kit than the damn bike , I dropped 600 bucks to buy that sportser it was 4 years old at the time LOL 75 was a funky year

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by krowpickin View Post
    Then I'll go with main. I am rolling on throttle. Still breaks up. I can get it super rich on idle. But it's when I'm already rolling and go to speed up at a decent rate. Not just dumping throttle
    try getting rid of that 1" spacer and see how it acts.

Get Adobe Flash player

wait a min, let me ask you something.
    Do you have an insulator block on that carb?

Get Adobe Flash player

i have a one inch aluminum spacer. i feel like you are right on main jet. can tune it normally with idle mixture, and she rides good at lower speeds or less throttle.

Share This