Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DaveO
    • Jan 2014

Oil Light On On 1990 FXR Lowrider

I ride a 1990 FXR Lowrider and Monday morning as I was getting off the freeway to my house the oil light came on indicating low oil pressure. I got off the bike and went up to the local shop and changed the oil and filter. Started the bike in the garage and the oil light flickered on and off, still suggesting low oil pressure. My biggest fear is oil pump has taken a shit and needs replacing money wise. What else could this be? Anything helps and thanks you guys.
  • coachstorms
    • Apr 2024

are you burning oil?

Comment

• DaveO
      • Jan 2014

No burning or strange noises. Bike is running normally. Top end was re done a month ago. When I drained the oil while changing the oil after noticing the light there was approximately a quart to a quart and a half left. Last oil change was 1000 miles ago with the top end being re done in between.

Comment

• punkrod
        • Jul 2011

1. Check the wire that goes to the oil pressure switch on the engine. If it has rubbed the insulation off against the frame of the bike, it'll turn the light on.
        2. Some folks like to over-tighten the nut for the oil pressure sender wire and crack the plastic top of the sender or they just vibrate apart when they get old.
        3. You can pop the cap on the oil tank while it's running and shine a light in there to see if the oil is moving, (not a real definitive test, but moving is good).
        4. Obtain one of those little oil pressure gauges and screw it into the hole for the pressure switch to check if you actually have pressure.
        5. Remove the cam cover and take a look at the pump drive gears and shaft, (need to relieve the valve spring pressure first, see service manual for the procedure).
        6. Remove the oil pump, inspect, rebuild if possible or replace. Rebuilding the pump isn't very expensive as long as the housing is good and it's far less $$$ than rebuilding the whole engine.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
        Working...
        ;