Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chopperty1
    • Feb 2011

4 spd trans problems,clutch?kicker slips to easey

i dont know whats happening i was riding the other day stopped at the store for a cold one came out to start the bike and the kicker almost skipped rt through .felt like w.t.f. maybe its my clutch?,needs adjusting?, slipping ? kicked it .well, stepped on it ! went through like 2,3,x. then grabbed. i jumped on it! fired up ,rode home .went to fire it up the next day and slips through even easier?tried clutch adjustments.? no luck! same thing, took my kicker cover off and checked around. nothing seemed to be wrong with the inside!! put it back together . still slipping !! any ideas
  • Frog
    • Jul 2012

I haven't had mine apart, yet, even though it's on the bench. I vaguely remember something about a gear, spring and bushing that is behind the kicker cover. I'm trying to find the thread now.

Didn't want you to think everyone was ignoring you.

Comment

• daroberts3
      • Dec 2012

A lot of the resistance felt whilst kicking comes from the engine compression. Do a compression check first.

Comment

• stumpnc
        • Nov 2013

It sounds like the kicker clutch is hanging up. Remove the kick cover again. There is a gear on the kick cover itself .There is another gear ,a two piece gear on the mainshaft of the transmission.You will see a spring behind these gears. The spring pushes these 2 gears together so they engage. The gear on the kick cover has ramps on it and the ramps push the inner gear on the mainshaft inward to disengage it,so when the pedal is up that gear is pushed in not meshing.when the kick pedal is at the bottom of the stroke it disengages again so if the engine fire'syou don't go flying over the handlebars.The 2 piece gear that meshes together with the spring behind it, could have a worn bushing on the inside gear.or the outer gear has sheared it key.bend the tab on the lock washer and take the nut off .you will probably need a small puller but pull off the outer gear it is a tapered shaft ons check the key.slide the inner gear off and the spring,look at the bushing in the inner gear and then put it back on the shaft how much does it wiggle. What I have found over the years is the bushing will wear and that inner gear will cock itself on the mainshaft, when you go to start her up.that gear stays put when its sposed to remesh,in the mean time your leg is southbound at a high rate of unstoppable speed and when you touchdown at the bottom of the stroke you are now rolling on the ground ,with tears in your eyes,wondering what the fuck happened,and if you will ever walk again! If you have lots of wiggle in the bushing you can press it out and put a new one in. ream or hone the new one to fit or you may luck out. and the new one will already work.and fit the shaft perfectly. Another trick I do is run Bel-Ray Gearsaver oil in my trans. It is red and if you spring a leak your color coded where it came from.

Comment

• chopperty1
          • Feb 2011

ok well the spring behind the gears has plenty of tension on it..and the return seems to be tightly together, i just bought this trans off of a cc member ,and it was freshly rebuilt supposedly,so i took my old trans out and popped this badboy in..the old guy needs new rebuild,or new seals and was making a horrible ratttling noise at high rpms.so it was time for that to get checked out.anyhow after installing the fresh rebuildt trans i thought my problems went away but they just got worse .now i cant even fire my bike up unless i pop the clutch with a good push ....

Comment

• Frog
            • Jul 2012

I can't find the thread. I usually keep things like this because it will happen to me. Sorry man.

Comment

• stumpnc
              • Nov 2013

Did you pull that kick gear off the mainshaft and check the little key? It could be stripped off or missing. Also look at the gear in the kick cover itself ,look at the ramps at the open area on the gear.Make sure the part of the inner gear with the spring behind it is engaging into the outer part when the open area on the kicker cover gear reaches that point. It seems to me that either the whole gear is loose on the shaft with a stripped key OR the kick cover gear is holding the gear with the spring behind it inward for some reason keeping it in the released position. Or the clutch basket is loose. the mainshaft is straight through the trans kick gear on one side and clutch basket on the other.

Comment

• daroberts3
                • Dec 2012

Problem before trans was swaped and after trans was swapped would logically indicate that the problem was not the trans. Right? Do an engine compression test! Could have low comprssion, valve issues, worn rings etc..

Comment

• stumpnc
                  • Nov 2013

Originally posted by daroberts3
                  Problem before trans was swaped and after trans was swapped would logically indicate that the problem was not the trans. Right? Do an engine compression test! Could have low comprssion, valve issues, worn rings etc..
                  Nowhere did he say it was messing up with the old trans. Where did you read that?

Comment

• daroberts3
                    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by chopperty1
                    ok well the spring behind the gears has plenty of tension on it..and the return seems to be tightly together, i just bought this trans off of a cc member ,and it was freshly rebuilt supposedly,so i took my old trans out and popped this badboy in..the old guy needs new rebuild,or new seals and was making a horrible ratttling noise at high rpms.so it was time for that to get checked out.anyhow after installing the fresh rebuildt trans i thought my problems went away but they just got worse .now i cant even fire my bike up unless i pop the clutch with a good push ....
                    This would indicate to me that there was a problem prior to replacing the trans.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                    Working...
                    ;