X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChrisFinn22
    • Feb 2014

95' Sporty Build

Well hello Gents and Gals,

Recently found a 1995 Sportster 1200XL off craigslist for $3,000. I looked into it and found it had 8,400 miles on it. Not a bad deal right? I'm thinking of keeping the soft tail for a bit and just simply making it my own. Want to change the handle bars to H bars, new seat and chop chop chop that rear fender. Also gonna relocate the tail light and license plate to a shock or axle mount. And here we go.

Last edited by ChrisFinn22; 03-29-2014, 5:58 PM.
  • ChrisFinn22
    • Feb 2014

Day 2 of Build.

First things first drained all the oils, brake fluid and all. Noticed the brake line were those stock copper style with rubber cover and saw one had been pinched. So i ordered some Goodridge stainless steel ones. Then it was onto the handle bar swap. Purchased some Biltwell H-Bars really easy bolted right onto the triple tree screws.

Then took off that stock air filter system and replaced it with a Arlen Ness Big Sucker Kit. Added 21% more horespower.

Next i moved onto wiring up my license plate mount and tail light onto the shock mount. Looked a lot better, now jus to chop that rear fender and fender struts. Also took it for a quick ride today ran great.

Comment

• ChrisFinn22
      • Feb 2014

Need some help with a good turn signals cant decide for the rear fender struts.?

Comment

• ChrisFinn22
        • Feb 2014

Yeah thats pretty much the plan Bernie. I'm not to great with wiring schematics and living in NY you need everything turn signals, mirrors but i feel like I have too much stuff on my bars, want to reduce it all somehow.

Comment

• ChrisFinn22
          • Feb 2014

Nah i actually don't have a diagram for it. Need to find one though

Comment

• StuntmanMike
            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by ChrisFinn22
            Nah i actually don't have a diagram for it. Need to find one though
            Search the forum for "sporty rewire".

There is a very kick ass, very detailed thread with wiring schematics that makes it super simple based on what you want to run. What I did and the same way they do it in the thread is to get the stock wiring diagram from the factory manual and just highlight the shit you need and cut the rest. I'm in the middle of a rewire myself and once I got it all apart and matched it up to the wiring diagram it was cake figuring out what I needed to remove and what I needed to keep.

Comment

• shiftace
              • Aug 2009

getting rid of that badlander seat that was on it? I could use one badly.

Comment

• ChrisFinn22
                • Feb 2014

yeah Im actually selling it. Email me [email protected]

Originally posted by shiftace
                getting rid of that badlander seat that was on it? I could use one badly.
                Last edited by ChrisFinn22; 03-31-2014, 3:12 PM.

Comment

• ChrisFinn22
                  • Feb 2014

Just recently got a set of Progressive 11.5 in shocks off craigslist and ordered a bunch a part off DKcustoms.com Picked up tank lift kit,iginition relocation kit, and horn relocation kit, and wire location kit awesome bolt on stuff for us guys without the monster garage.

Comment

• halfday
                    • Apr 2024

Not everyone has the welder/drill press/ lathe ect. But as long as you enjoy what you're doing its cool.
                    Mild mods/bolt on stuff is actually good this time of year becaus the bike is never apart, you can ride the same day you work on it as opposed to an actual "build" where the bike has to come apart.

Comment

• ChrisFinn22
                      • Feb 2014

Yeah exactly, Just ordered some Biltwell banna seat and some new grips from them too. Can't wait fo the mail on monday and tuesday.

Comment

• zarco
                        • Mar 2014

Is the picture by the river Peekskill? Have fun with the bike. Can't wait to get mine to the Hawks Nest by the Delaware river.

Best

Comment

• ChrisFinn22
                          • Feb 2014

This is the Hawks nest hah

Originally posted by zarco
                          Is the picture by the river Peekskill? Have fun with the bike. Can't wait to get mine to the Hawks Nest by the Delaware river.

Best

Comment

• ChrisFinn22
                            • Feb 2014

Progess

Picked up some new Turn signals and then,

Decidied to Chop that rear fender and fender struts, not done with the design but just straight cut. Picked up some 11.5in progressive shocks too from a craigslist trade for my stock ones.

Then went for a cold 30 degree ride but on the way back it was a comfy 45.

Really want to clean up my wires and stuff. I have biltwell grips and seat on the way tomorrow, and then some Dk customs tank liftm iginition relocation and horn relocation kits. Really excited ill keep on updating as I go.

Comment

• ChrisFinn22
                              • Feb 2014

Biltwell Day

Hell of a day today, Biltwell care package came in and wow it really did change it up. My Sportsters is coming together.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;