Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mlucio
    • Feb 2012

'76 mag fired shovel

Sorry ahead of time if there's a similar thread on this already.
    My patience is being tested like never before. I have a brand new Joe Hunt H4, kickstart only '76 Shovel. I have timed this thing according to instructions and everything I've read here about 25 times already. I'm basically just looking for any tips or tricks anyone might have to getting this thing running.
    It has run for only a few minutes at a time after many attempts to start. But then I just can't get it going again.

If someone could enlighten me on how the auto advance works it might help me wrap my head around it.

I'm have an Andrews J grind cam also, don't know if that would change anything.

Anything at this point would help and be greatly appreciated. Sorry if I rambled, just really frustrated.
    Last edited by mlucio; 03-28-2014, 10:47 AM.
  • Troublechop
    • Mar 2014

Is it a used mag? Are you sure you have it timed right? How Are the points in it?

Comment

• mlucio
      • Feb 2012

Brand new mag. Timing seems to be decent at the most right now. I can get it going every so often, but then once I shut it off and see if it'll start again I get noticing. I then pull the plugs and see that they're very black, which is tell me it's very rich and fouling them. I haven't really had a chance to adjust because of this starting issue.
      I feel like I'm on the cusp of getting it but feel like I'm missing some little thing.

Comment

• Weatherby
        • Aug 2012

I had a similiar problem on my 74. Check the points gap.

Comment

• Troublechop
          • Mar 2014

What u have for a carb? .015 is what I set my morris at. If the carbs too rich going to be pretty difficult to start. I have a mikuni hsr 42 - morris mag on a 69 shovel. Starts first kick unless cold. Or there is hot chicks around. Haha

Comment

• mlucio
            • Feb 2012

Gap was a .015 but I called Joe Hunt and a kid told me to open it to help it a bit.
            Also I have a super E shorty

Comment

• Sky
              • Aug 2009

OK, plugs are fuel fouled?
              That can be in the carburetor, or possibly weak spark, or maybe lack of compression.
              Wrong or damaged plug wires and or plugs = weak spark = incomplete burn
              Bad ring seal, valve seats, thick head gaskets, poorly matched components = weak compression = incomplete burn
              lack of fuel control or simply mis dialed carb = just too much damn fuel
              Things that can cause the typical S&S to run rich
              float set to high
              enricher not seating or held open
              pump tower o-ring missing ,tower orifice too large or tower tube pressed down into bowl
              pressurized fuel tank
              mix screw seat or tip damaged
              emulsion tube loose or emulsion tube boss cracked
              jets loose or threads damaged

Comment

• shook
                • May 2011

I just installed a Morris M5 on my 78 Shovel last week. Getting that lobe matched up just right while meshing the gears is a bitch but it sounds like you got that part.

The Morris instructions had me pull the pushrods to install. I was unaware that the previous owner had installed a solid lifter conversion kit so I had adjusted my pushrods all wrong when i put them back in. I had a very similar experience to you until i figured that out. Now it starts on the first few kicks and has never run so strong.

Also, Morris suggest point gap of .025.

Comment

• mlucio
                  • Feb 2012

I got similar advice from the joe hunt guys, that opening the points should help a out a bit.
                  I'm starting to think that my kicker gears are a little screwed up or just something in there. Its slipped a few times now. And just doesn't really sound/feel right. I've been watching my clutch spin while I kick, open primary of course, and it seems I'm not getting enough momentum in the flywheels. Is this a possibility, that I'm nt really getting enough umpfff behind the kicks?

Comment

• shovelpan69
                    • May 2012

something to try. when i switched to joe hunt magneto mine ran like shit when it was timed perfect but if i just kept advancing the mag it ran perfect, not really sure why but i didnt want to fuck with anything cuz when i had the distributor on there it ran awesome. give it a shot see if that helps.

Comment

• Sky
                      • Aug 2009

Slipping clutches are not going to help. Under-adjusted pushrods can encourage a kind of compression related kickback while kicking. Can you see the motor pushing back after you kick?

Comment

• hellbilly1932
                        • Aug 2009

I'm gonna need you guys to go ahead and stop making since. Mmmkay?

Comment

• WinstonWolf
                          • Feb 2013

Put points and battery/coil in, kick once, ride away.

I actually get enjoyment from watching people try to start magneto fired bikes. My personal opinion is that it's much cooler to start your bike in one kick and then ride it, than to have a magneto that you think makes people think your bike looks cool or is a bad ass hopped up racer (but it doesn't start for shit). But I prefer to exercise at the gym, not at the side of my motorcycle.

Good luck.

Comment

• bravehart
                            • Jan 2014

plenty of old guys walking around with a right leg limp, why you ask, most rode old Ironhead sportys back in the 50s and 60s with Mags. on them ask me how I know?? took me years to finally figure out that a battery and points was a lot easier on the body when it came to starting, PLUS, did you know it takes a little power from the bike to turn over a mag against a disturibiter..don't believe that, turn over a dist., old style, with your fingers, then do the same with the Joe Hunt, I know how cool a Mag looks compared to a old fashioned battery and points system..but sometimews one just has to sacrifice looks for performance..however good luck with your endeavors,

Comment

• WinstonWolf
                              • Feb 2013

When I get the urge to use a magneto on a bike, I watch this video. Then start counting kicks.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;