Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scottylook
    • Sep 2009

78 xs650 wiring

Ok man I'm a running in crazy I suck at wiring! Thanks for all the diagrams for sure. I have a 78 xs650 canadian model. Getting the wiring all weeded down on the scoot for just what I need. I am only running a headlight, tail/brake, starter. Now I have been thinking this diagram below is the easiest to go off, but it shows the reg/rect as one and on mine they are seperate. So can I wire them up seperate? Do I need to use the nylon screws? Also when I took off the starter relay there was another relay right by it of some sort wired into it with a plug? Do I need to be running that realay as well or no? Sorry for all the questions but anyhelp would be awesome
  • slimvulcanrider
    • Mar 2010

you can wire up the R/R seperatly. here is a write up on how to wire in the R/R using seperate Voltage Regulator and Rectifier.

Comment

• viz
      • Dec 2009

You dont need to change to the nylon screws if you are using the seperate reg and rectifier. If you switch to a combo reg/rect that they use in later models then you have to switch to the nylon screws. The starter relay and starter solenoid(probably the the other piece you speak will need to be used if you plan on using a starter.

Comment

• scottylook
        • Sep 2009

OK so I will be going off this diagram. The other unit im talking about is a the headlight and starter saftey relay from what I have found out. I have been told that can go too.

Comment

• viz
          • Dec 2009

Yeah without being able to see what your talking about its tough to know. I have a 77 xs 650 I wired and made a new harness for. If I remember correctly I have a the starter relay and the solenoid also on mine. Are you going to run the original points or update to elec. ignition?

Comment

• scottylook
            • Sep 2009

Sorry Im at work right now so I cant get an actual pic lol but this is what that relay looks like

Comment

• viz
              • Dec 2009

Oh yeah you def. dont need that one

Comment

• 1fughit
                • Mar 2010

[IMG][/IMG]
                Does this help? It is a barebones but it gives you the basics. Pitch the safety relay in the starting circuit. You only need the solenoid and a start button.[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

• scottylook
                  • Sep 2009

Sweet that all helps. Hopefully I can get it lit off this weekend....we will see. Viz, running points for now.

Comment

• viz
                    • Dec 2009

Cool, good luck with getting her done.

Comment

• scottylook
                      • Sep 2009

Thanks man, crossing my fingers haaaha! I will probobly switch it over to a pamco at some point but I figured Id wire it with what I got right now.

Comment

• gandgcustoms
                        • Feb 2010

heres a vid a little easier
                        http://www.SpeedClubInc.comHere is the final video showing viewers how to wire up a points motor with a tci combo regulator rectifier. It's really simple and...

Comment

• P3AC3
                          • Apr 2011

LET ME CHECK IF IT WORKs

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                          Working...
                          ;